Factory header clearance

-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
I'm tossing the idea of doing a 6.1 hemi conversion into an A Body.

The one thing that remains uncertain about the swap is the clearance in a later A body engine bay for the 6.1 factory "headers" - (see pic)

Has anyone done this swap and how did you find clearance in the bay for these pipes?

Hemi61pipes.jpg

Not trying to be a smart ***....but did you spend any time looking thru the New Hemi Swaps forum for the information you need?

Yes.

And I have an answer from an alternative source.

Some info - Where I live, there is not a lot of info readily available on new Hemis....and even less on a conversion to an A Body.

In fact - the total of older cars with the Gen 3 hemi conversion in Australia totals about two cars.

So 69crustydart - we all hope you can sleep at night now I've met your exacting standards....:finga:......

Hi Rat Patrol, play nice now :love6:..you two, it takes a while to find stuff on here as with any forum .
from what i've read the car manifolds don't work , Jeep manifolds might work , but for a RHD conversion allow for the expence of custom pipes.
I'm in Australia also , I've got my Hemi but I haven't started the conversion yet.

Those do not fit on any A body in the US, regardless of the year. The jeep srt8 manifolds will not work with the factory k member and either steering box. Apparently the work with minor work on an alterktion car.

5.7 LX manifolds apparently work if you notch the frame rail on the passenger side. And jeep 5.7 manifolds seem to be the best fit, not requiring cutting anything and clearing the manual steering box.

Mo cars - thanks for the heads up . Have you looked into the shorties that you can buy?

Uhcoog - thanks for the info - our steering box is in a completely different location to the US cars - but the K frames is the same so its valuable info.

Those do not fit on any A body in the US, regardless of the year. The jeep srt8 manifolds will not work with the factory k member and either steering box. Apparently the work with minor work on an alterktion car.

5.7 LX manifolds apparently work if you notch the frame rail on the passenger side. And jeep 5.7 manifolds seem to be the best fit, not requiring cutting anything and clearing the manual steering box.

LX manifolds don't work because of the steering shaft. They fit nicely...except the steering shaft tries to go right through the middle of the casting right above the collector on the driver's side. I notched my frame in prep for the LX manifolds, dropped it in for fitment...and the steering shaft became apparent. Went with Jeep SRT8 manifolds...and just needed minor tweaking of the alterkation motor mount on the driver's side, with a little "massaging" for the steering coupler clearance.

Though I'm not sure how fitment of the steering would be on the opposite side.

Thanks all - I think for the moment I'll try the tight tuck headers supplied by Street and Performance if the deal goes through.......

-
Back