Factory hood scoop repair

-

ev2orange

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to repair the mounting of the twin scoops on my Dart? The studs are starting to pull out of the scoop itself. Should I just repair it with fiberglass and resin and then tap threads, or is there a better way?

I would use fiberglass repair and set the studs when wet.
Just my opinion.

Later,
Bruce B.

I suppose you could use either.
I have always used fiberglass though.

Later,
Bruce B.

Hey "ev2orange", I had the same problem with my Duster scoops!
I 1st tried JB Weld, but they broke loose when I tightened them down to the
hood. As a bit of advice, if you don't have the original nuts, do not use lock nuts,, the ones with the clear plastic in them like I did. It stripped the bolts when tightening,,
On my 2nd attempt, I used 2 part Epoxy. I prepped the holes in the scoop by drilling out any loose pieces in the hole and went deep enough so the new studs, when screwed in would not protrude out, they should be at the most flush with the side edge of the scoop when screwed all the way in.
I then vacuumed all of the holes out and wiped them clean using a small screwdriver with
Acetone.
I filled the holes up with the Epoxy 1st, then wiped the threads on the studs with the epoxy. Then I tightned them into the scoop holes while still wet, ,although I waited a few minutes for the Epoxy to begin setting,, I wiped the overflow out of the scoop holes, let it dry overnight and I was done!
I didn't have the original nuts so I used regular nuts with washers and lock washers and it worked fine!!
Let me know how it works!!

I like the epoxy idea. I think I'm gonna mix a bit up and try it out. I'll snap some pics while I'm at it too. It's gonna be a few days before I can, but wish me luck.:thumbrig:

-
Back