Factory Paint in Rattle Cans?

-

19_Dart_68

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good suggestions for companies to use? Good experiences?

I found a few companies that will mix it and put it in cans. Would it be better to buy a quart of single stage?

Looking to touch up a few areas and redo the engine compartment. Someone Chevy-blacked the engine bay... :(

That would depend on your intended final outcome. We have a local auto-paint supplier that'll mix anything in rattle cans. If you're good spraying them and have ideal conditions...should be fine. If you're gutting the engine bay for a like new deal.....spray-gun.

An OReilly paint store with a GOOD staff can do it. The problem is finding one one with a good staff.

I've used Herb's paint on a 70 R.R with Burnt Orange interior panels, & their Textured Silver wheel/trim paint & was very happy with the results.
A local paint supply shop also mixed us up some of the same color, but shiny for the interior door tops, again, very happy with the results. Both spray can paint jobs.
Prep & technique is key.

Food for thought. On my 66 red dash I sprayed the factory red in single stage on the dash out of the car and then using compressed air blew baby powder over the top of the dash to take down the shine. It actually worked. 3 years later still looks good. I imagine it would not matter if rattle can or spray gun. As long as the paint was wet it would work.

66 Auto color
excellent paint, excellent match, separate hardener cartridge in the can

The local NAPA here mixes them in spray cans.

I painted my engine bay on my 66 barracuda with a rattle cans from Napa auto parts. If think 4 cans have 5 or 6 made up. When you think our done walk a way then walk away and leave it set up then haul off all the tape after a good time

7939FC0F-7893-4385-BE71-6BC0BD1199E3.jpeg

0D86256F-1C04-4AF1-A7F7-40D3674A556D.jpeg

Done the inners with rattle cans from O'reilly's, the match will only be as good as the person mixing the paint.

300682660_6053089708067735_9072649786119044819_n.jpg

Hell this was rustoleum bright silver metallic on the shelf at Walmart. 3 cans of primer and 4 of paint, probably could have used an extra can but it worked. I hit it with one can of clear to add some durability.

E804B299-D5E8-4DC2-9F1B-F7334F120AA3.jpeg

33BA4A29-5CF0-42EA-8FFE-88B71E9A3903.jpeg

Looks good now. Or a cheap HF gun, a qt of single stage from a real store and borrow the neighbor's compressor a few minutes? Just an option.

Mine used to be rattled canned black. I used Rustoleum Automotive Primer and ordered body colored rattle cans online. You need to know how to rattle can to get it to lay down shiny so practice on junk panel. You can get the look but not as durable as 2K paint from a spray gun. But with spray gun 2K paint need to have good air volume supply and experience using spray gun. Practice on junk panels if you go that route cause without good air volume good setup paint won't atomize.

I had coolant leak on passenger's side panel after this pic was taken and got slight stain in paint which probably would not have happened if it was 2K paint. Was painted 14 years back still looks good. But I have become proficient with spraying 2K paints since so I won't rattle can next time.

BarracudaEngine.jpg

Single stage, ie 2K auto paint is always more durable and shiney than Rusteolum. Lets say you pay $100 for a qt. of 2 k body color with hardner. 5 spray cans of auto aerosol is what maybe $18-20 a can? The HF gun is dirt cheap and get the air gauge to attached at the gun. In general, set your fan wide open, pressure at about 35-40 lbs. depending on what water trap you apply at gun (if you even use one) and set the voumne when the trigger first gets at wide open. Check pattern on wall. Spray and keep gun moving. iF you want a factory type job spray engine compartment with enough paint to make some runs!!!!! :thumbsup:

Spraying with a real gun is cheaper than rattle-bomb.
But some people do not have that option.

Assuming you have an air compressor and high volume air hose fittings suitable for paint gun yeah not much difference in price between single stage 2K paint and rattle cans. You can get rattle can paint to lay down flat and shiny if done right. So both can get a good look. I think the real biggy though is in the durability. The 2K paint will resist staining scratching ect far better then the rattle can paint.

I sprayed this eng comp with 2K Nasson single stage with PPG epoxy primer under it. Used Harbor Freight Detail Gun. During assembly my son accidently let brake fluid sit in a puddle on the frame rail for 20 minutes or so. It wiped right off zero impact on the paint can't even tell it happened. Rattle can paint would have bubbled up and been ruined. So durability between the two there is no comparison.

Engine Installed.jpg

Way back in the 60s my dad had a llittle Sears compressor, the tank might have been maybe 10 gal? He had an old siphon gun, and primed and painted my horse trailer F8 Met. Green. It turned out perfect. WTF!!! How!!!!! First time he ever attempted such. OK, so he was of the "Greatest Generation".
I guess people like him is why were don't speak German etc today?????
Carry on.

I have been very happy with the results from this company. Automobile Touch Up Paint - Factory Matched Paints - Express Paint seems to be a real good match for my "touch ups" AA1 Silver Mist Poly
I decided to try ExpressPaint.com They are out of California with a store in Bangor PA too. I ordered the paint last Thursday and it was at my door on Sunday via FedEx ...Amazing turn around time. Very good results too! Ordered three cans and almost used two. Used 1.5 cans of clear on it.

CompleteEngineComp.jpg

-
Back