factory tach connections in dash

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I will eventually add a factory tach to my rallye cluster. I have the correct color and gage wire already ran for this, i need to know what kindvof ends i need, and if its idiot proofed, which end is on what wire etc.

The wires are factory color code dark blue and medium gray. I have schematics but they dont tell me what the ends are.

I dont have the tachometer, otherwise i would know what ends to terminate the wires with. Anybody got a pic?

Thanks
Matt

Female spade on the +12v and 90% female bullet on the -tach signal.

Sorry just the opposite......

I've posted this a few times before. Fuse box has accessory slot unused and no clamp included at the line out side. That clamp was placed in the factory wire before inserted into the box. That would be 12 volt at switch on. There are other places to get that 12 volt supply but a separate fuse is recommended. In the pic above you can see the round main harness connector. 12 volt at switch on is blue w/ white tracer at its 10 o'clock position. You could tap that with enough wire to place a inline fuse behind the column cover. Simply label that fuse holder "tach".
Now about the tachs' connection posts... Any other guage would be labeled which connection stud is which. Inside the tach is a small piece of board with the 2 studs stamped into it. Since it would go through the housing turned either way, markings on the housing might not be correct ( 50/50 odds ). They made one stud shorter than the other.
On those other gauges I mentioned, the mark 'S' stands for sender or signal. On a tach it would also stand for short. Short stud is sender/signal. Longer stud is 12 volts.

Thank you. This was the pic i needed. I have already wired it in at the fuse box using the factory fuse clips, and the empty fuse cavity. I used dk blue as that was what was on my schematic.

Thank you.

Sorry just the opposite......
I am hoping you can help me straighten out the wiring on my factory tachometer. I have a 1969 Barracuda with out a factory installed tach. about 15 years ago, I purchased a "factory" tach which mounts perfectly in the empty and small center location. The problem is that all the schematics I've seen show only two wires, a GY (grey) going to negative side of coil and a DBL (dark blue) going to the switchable fuse box. My tack has (4) wires, a light green with a black in a duplex wire, and a darker blue and a red wire. ??? They don't have terminals on them either, which would have helped.

I have no idea where they go and don't want to burn it up. Can you help? The tach could be from a Dart or maybe a Duster, but I've looked at their schematics and they only show two wires. ????

Bill

I am hoping you can help me straighten out the wiring on my factory tachometer. I have a 1969 Barracuda with out a factory installed tach. about 15 years ago, I purchased a "factory" tach which mounts perfectly in the empty and small center location. The problem is that all the schematics I've seen show only two wires, a GY (grey) going to negative side of coil and a DBL (dark blue) going to the switchable fuse box. My tack has (4) wires, a light green with a black in a duplex wire, and a darker blue and a red wire. ??? They don't have terminals on them either, which would have helped.

I have no idea where they go and don't want to burn it up. Can you help? The tach could be from a Dart or maybe a Duster, but I've looked at their schematics and they only show two wires. ????

Bill

Sounds after market or maybe an original console tach. A picture maybe helpful. My guess and purely a guess would be.

Green/ black duplex is for the lamp.
Dark blue - coil
Red + 12v.

Factory original Barracuda Dash Tach just had gray- coil and Dark Blue+12V

Last edited:
Sounds after market or maybe an original console tach. A picture maybe helpful. My guess and purely a guess would be.

Green/ black duplex is for the lamp.
Dark blue - coil
Red + 12v.

Factory tach just had gray- coil and Dark Blue+12V
I very much appreciate your efforts and clarity. I purchased the Tach in about 1987 or so, and I'm pretty sure it was factory issued, and as you say, perhaps in a console. I understand the factory in dash Tach's are illuminated by the dash lights.

The tach is installed in the dash and it's in the car. I'm in California for a few months and the car is in Beavercreek, Oregon!

Thanks a ton!

Look at those colors again. If it is a console tach.

Orange or red??? - orange is lamp
Black - ground
Dark blue- +12v
Green - trigger from coil

Factory console tach wiring

Here's pics of 69 a body factory tach. 2 wires.
Need pics of yours to be certain.

20170206_230235.jpg

20170206_230316.jpg

Female spade to coil - and do not turn that mounting nut under any circumstances.
12 volt fused to ring connector for bottom stud with nut. When assembling on bench be aware that things are reversed. Hard to find that out after dash is installed in the car.

Here's pics of 69 a body factory tach. 2 wires.
Need pics of yours to be certain.

View attachment 1715015516

View attachment 1715015517

Steve,

That doesn't look right. Unless someone has already updated the Tach Board and reversed the connections on re-assembly.

Guess the factory or Vendor could have done it as well. Mine was-is the opposite and was 100% original until the I changed the PC board last week.

IMGP1628up.jpg

Last edited:
Good eye Gerald! Yes it has the new modern upgraded board. I was more thinking of his description of 4 wires. Maybe like you mentioned his is a console tach? Who knows without pics?

Sidenote Gerald, I picked up a car cover here at Canadian Tire on clearance for $50! Good quality and good for outdoor use. Its for 19-22' feet. Hope it fits good?
Steve,

That doesn't look right. Unless someone has already updated the Tach Board and reversed the connections on re-assembly.

Guess the factory or Vendor could have done it as well. Mine was-is the opposite and was 100% original until the PC board got changed last week.

View attachment 1715015606

Good eye Gerald! Yes it has the new modern upgraded board. I was more thinking of his description of 4 wires. Maybe like you mentioned his is a console tach? Who knows without pics?

Sidenote Gerald, I picked up a car cover here at Canadian Tire on clearance for $50! Good quality and good for outdoor use. Its for 19-22' feet. Hope it fits good?
I'm in good company here, that's for sue. Thank you all

-
Back