Factory tach???

-

moparsegura

moparmaster
Reaction score
I just scored a few Barracuda dashes to piece together to make one good one. One has a factory tach and the other two have a performance indicator. I was just wandering which one was more desirable?? I'm not sure on either. I would like to use the tach, but not sure if it works. Could I just hook it up from the coil like a aftermarket tach???? I haven't cracked none of the dashes open yet to check any of the guages but they are super clean and all look like they should work. And on the performance indicator, is that just a vacuum guage?? or how does it get hooked up or tested to see if it is working. I'm wanting to fill the empty hole in my dash with something just don't know which one to use

Tach is way more deseriable!! The performance indicator runs off of vacuum

yea but there are 3 terminals on the back, can I hook it up like any other tach?? Or does it need to have a factory harness to work? I stripped all the wiring out of the car and made my own harness. I would like to test and use the tach.

there was also a clock for the center pod in the rallye panels. I know the clock got its 12 volts from the red post on the amp gauge. I'm pretty sure the tach did too. Odds on the tach still working are mighty slim. The needle responce was slow even when it was new. Year One offers a replcement tach but it's a little pricey.
The performance indicater is just a vacuum gauge and was found with every engine / trans combo built. Most of those do still work like new. It is much simpler to test before installing.
I have the clock in my car. I set the neg battery cable off when parked so the clock never shows the correct time unless I reset it. I did put a inline fuse in its power supply.
All of this is just FYI . Any 40 year old gauge might work today and die tomarrow. These panels are no fun to R&R. If I was asked to choose the most dependable gauge, it would be the performance indicater. Good luck either way.

I put a tach in my Rally dash. I like it a lot. It's right there in front of you where you can see it and not in the way of other guages or on the dash in your way. That "performance indicator" is a peaice of worthless junk.

So I guess any vacuum port will work for the indicator right? I hooked it up to vacuum on a dodge van I got out back and it didn't move. It was sucking from the vacuum tree on the intake. The needle moves freely just not with vacuum, unless it needs to come from a different source, which I don't know why it would matter really. Vacuum is vacuum right??

-
Back