Fair asking price for a 904?

-
Me personally I'd pass on a 1972 904. I'd hold out for a 1976 or newer 904 out of a 360- more clutches, larger front servo, they just got better. My-2 rebuild it yourself. $104 for a rebuild kit. If you can fall out of bed you have more than enough skills to rebuild a 904.
Any idea where I can find one of these rebuild kits?

That combo wouldn't bring enough to buy the floor hump to accommodate the 4-speed.
Start at the rear of the car. Start preparing for the big motor and transmission and build a strong rearend ? With 410's 391's or the very nutral 355's. Might even lifft the spirits of that /6 LOL. And continuing forward, a shorter driveline will be needed, but the 904 and your potential 4-speed are the same length so your all good. Be aware they have different slip yokes but those can be switched on a vice at home.
Ask anyone, that 7 1/4 rearend ain't gonna last 3 minutes behind any v8 4-speed. Continuing forward, I noticed your near Eugene? There was a guy on Craigslist in Wilsonville giving away a 904. And I'm assuming if you're trying to get rid of that slant 6 and work with a budget and a budget here is of high concerns? And going on that theory I would stick with the automatic til you get a full V8 automatic killer and combination together and then start saving for the 4-speed stuff because that's going to be a Backbreaker. You can pick up like everybody saying a good rebuildable 904 4 $50. A rebuild kits $104 a nice shift kit is about $92. The decent torque converter that's going to cost a little but don't discount the idea of taking a stock one and just having it reconditioned. I believe that's very inexpensive. ($75? Don't quote me) For the money it would cost to get the 4-speed pedals and a 4-speed bellhousing you could have a great snappy 904. Moving forward, I assume that you're looking to do a V8 of some sort?
I've been doing a lot of assuming here LOL let's just hope I helped and didn't make an *** out of myself.

Yes I got mine here in Portland at one of the couple transmission warehouse places here in town. Most are comparable in price and should be down around $100 not more than 120 I would think. I suggest getting it locally because there's so many little rubber seals in there that a lot of times some ding dong that fills the bags doesn't put the right ones. And if you have to send back to jegs or summit or something like that it just a big pain in the butt. When you can just walk down there and go get another one. I had that problem and had to go back a couple times. But they always have big boxes of extra seals and stuff so you can just get the part right there.

Any idea where I can find one of these rebuild kits?

Start at the rear of the car. Start preparing for the big motor and transmission and build a strong rearend

I have to agree with this, otherwise you just break stuff and get towed home all the time.:D

I already planned on a suregrip either an 8.75" or 8.25" (if I can't get the 8.75"). I was told from the get-go the 7.25" would turn to butter behind a V8, and that they were worthless too. I also had either a T56 or Passon 855 in mind. That's why I was asking about what the slant and 904 would go for. As it stands, at best they'd sit in the garage for years to come, and only get used if I do a 3rd build (if I were to do a 2nd build it'd be a 77-78 Power Wagon, twin turbo 318 w/ a518 auto).

-
Back