Fair asking price for a 904?

-

knote72

Stupidity is not unilateral, we all pay the price
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I know that this is a 'For Sale' related topic, but it's a question thread and not explicitly a For Sale listing so I figured it was better to post here.

In my 72 Demon I have a 3spd 904, from what I've seen it shifts just fine and has no problems. I have plans for a manual trans and will have no need for the 904, so I figured I'd sell it eventually, but I do kinda need to generate some cash flow soon. In unrebuilt but good working condition, what would be a fair asking price for it? I'd prefer not to just sell it if I'd be going to the trouble for just a couple hundred bucks at best.

DISCLAIMER: I know that this is a 'For Sale' related topic, but it's a question thread and not explicitly a For Sale listing so I figured it was better to post here.

In my 72 Demon I have a 3spd 904, from what I've seen it shifts just fine and has no problems. I have plans for a manual trans and will have no need for the 904, so I figured I'd sell it eventually, but I do kinda need to generate some cash flow soon. In unrebuilt but good working condition, what would be a fair asking price for it? I'd prefer not to just sell it if I'd be going to the trouble for just a couple hundred bucks at best.

Actually, it is only worth a couple hundred bucks if it's a stock non-rebuilt 904. I just bought one exactly as described for $150.00 65'

If I was in need of one to throw in a car just to get it operational and:

-was able to actual drive in the vehicle it was coming out of,
-it wasn't leaking anywhere (especially from the front pump area),
-it came with the conv & dipstick/tube ... I'd pay $150-$200.

If I was looking solely for a core to go through ... $50.

Here in the Mitten, cores run $75, and good useable transmissions can be had around $250

When i bought my intake,James offered me his working 904 for $50. I thought it was reasonable. I declined as i have a few 727’s.

best case, 150-200 bucks. most likely, 100 bucks and thats after waiting weeks if not months for it to sell. Unless someone wants to ship it, its a matter of waiting for someone within driving range to come get it

The one I've got in my Dart was free. Guy was trying to sell a 318 - 904 combo for $300, then $200, then $150. When I called and just wanted the tranny, he said, just come and take it for free, and take the engine if you want it too.

If someone NEEDS it to get their daily driver back on the road they will give more. But it's only worth a couple hundred like most have said. I looked around for months before I found my small block 727. They are pretty hard to find here in Oklahoma. But I still only gave $150 and it was pulled from a running/driving vehicle.

I sold my 225/904 from my dart that ran and drove great and had a bunch of new parts with receipts. I had it listed for nearly a year locally and finally sold them both for $50.

Just need aV8 A904 complete as a rebuilder for this 69 barracuda i have for my son. I got a 318 for it. Going to put an exploder 8.8 in the back and M body discs up front. Only need a trans now.

Knote unless you have proof that it's been rebuilt sometime recently you may want to keep it for a spare then. The most I've ever paid for a 904 core is $200 and that was only because it had some high perf parts in it. Most of the time I pay $100 max for a core. The problem is it's age and how seals dry up when they get old. It may be working ok now but how long is that going to last if it has the original 44 yr old rubber seals

Plus, everybody is going with some kinda OD transmission now, so 3 speeds are becoming obsolete. That pulls the price down even further.

Well this has been conclusive. Pretty much kills any thought of selling it, because the effort of pulling it wouldn't really reflect that price. Maybe if my cash flow need becomes THAT dire. I'll probably just keep it and use it to start learning how to rebuild tranny's

Here's one more question. What would a good-running-but not-rebuilt slant 6/904 combo bring?

Well this has been conclusive. Pretty much kills any thought of selling it, because the effort of pulling it wouldn't really reflect that price. Maybe if my cash flow need becomes THAT dire. I'll probably just keep it and use it to start learning how to rebuild tranny's
None better to learn on

I just sold my working (no issues, no rebuild necessary) 904 for 75$, and was happy to let it go for that price.

Slants around here are either given away or 100-300........and they better be damn good for that.

Nobody (much) wants slants. Plus, their transmissions are not interchangeable with a V8. Slants are usually what people pull out and throw in the ditch in favor of a V8.

Slants around here are either given away or 100-300........and they better be damn good for that.

Nobody (much) wants slants. Plus, their transmissions are not interchangeable with a V8. Slants are usually what people pull out and throw in the ditch in favor of a V8.
I thought the only thing keeping them from being interchangeable was the bellhousing?

I thought the only thing keeping them from being interchangeable was the bellhousing?
That's true to a point, however, slant 6 transmissions are built lighter because they didn't produce that much power. They had less clutch discs per clutch pack and a single wrap rear band and aluminum planetary gearsets, (although some V8 units also had aluminum planetaries). The bellhousing is not removable like on some other brands. The only way you could use a slant trans on a V8 is to cut off the bell and use a bolt on ultra bell which is cost prohibitive.

p.s. I have also read v8 904 cases had reinforcing ribs around the rear band area that slant units didn't have but I have never had a slant trans to compare to a v8 so I'm not positive

Me personally I'd pass on a 1972 904. I'd hold out for a 1976 or newer 904 out of a 360- more clutches, larger front servo, they just got better. My-2 rebuild it yourself. $104 for a rebuild kit. If you can fall out of bed you have more than enough skills to rebuild a 904.

-
Back