Fair price for 360 magnum?

-
I pulled one from PYP and it took me pretty much the whole day. It's definitely not easy.

Yep, it isn't easy.
I went to pull a 5.9 a few years ago on a half off sale and after two half days of wrenching got it up to the office with the help of my girlfriend pushing it on one of their hoists. I was going for as complete an engine as I could get. The kid at the cashier desk tried to charge me for every single nut and bolt. I got pissed and told him to keep it. Next time I only want the short block, a power steering bracket, alternator bracket and not much else. I just turned 50 and and am not as limber as I was three years ago. I see those ads for parts pullers and think about how much I hurt after a day of wrenching in a yard and it is tempting to hire a pair of hands.

They should have a board nearby the office with a price list. If it's an LKQ Pick Your Part, then you can also pull the price list online. It lists complete engines, as well as just short blocks or long blocks. That kid just didn't know what he was doing. He was probably just told to nickel and dime everyone, but if you pull up the list they can't argue with it.

They should have a board nearby the office with a price list. If it's an LKQ Pick Your Part, then you can also pull the price list online. It lists complete engines, as well as just short blocks or long blocks. That kid just didn't know what he was doing. He was probably just told to nickel and dime everyone, but if you pull up the list they can't argue with it.

Thanks Joe,
I omitted part of the story for brevity. I knew the prices, they are posted online and at the site. The kid must have been instructed to charge for everything possible. He tried to charge me for a smog pump... have not seen one of those on a 1999 5.9. Then tried to charge me for other items that were not physically present on the engine. I realized I would have to stand there at closing and strip this engine down and fight over every nut and bolt. That's why I got pissed and told him to keep it.
I have a better idea now of what I want to do and what parts I plan on replacing with new items, including new nuts and bolts and exhaust parts. New cylinder heads instead of cracked factory ones. When they try to charge you for an oil pan with a hole in it!? WTF? Spend a little more and get a new one with out dents and air chisel holes.

Mike

Thanks Joe,
I omitted part of the story for brevity. I knew the prices, they are posted online and at the site. The kid must have been instructed to charge for everything possible. He tried to charge me for a smog pump... have not seen one of those on a 1999 5.9. Then tried to charge me for other items that were not physically present on the engine. I realized I would have to stand there at closing and strip this engine down and fight over every nut and bolt. That's why I got pissed and told him to keep it.
I have a better idea now of what I want to do and what parts I plan on replacing with new items, including new nuts and bolts and exhaust parts. New cylinder heads instead of cracked factory ones. When they try to charge you for an oil pan with a hole in it!? WTF? Spend a little more and get a new one with out dents and air chisel holes.

Mike

Ah, I see. Yeah I would have been just as frustrated and given up on the whole thing too. I'm sure you were dead tired after pulling it out. I know I was.

Funny thing is, now I have a Magnum sitting on the stand and I don't know what to do with it. I mean, I think I'm changing directions on my future build plans.

I was planning on building a 408 stroker but now I am thinking of pulling a 5.7 Hemi out of the wrecking yard and rebuilding that just to have something different and with fuel injection.

-
Back