Fan Belt/Power Steering Belt Replacement

-

Mike's Dart

Dodging The Negative Darting Toward The Positive
Reaction score
I think I have pushed my luck with these old belts long enough! Going tomorrow to get two new belts and may as well do an R&R on the thermostat while I'm in the neighborhood! Anything special I need to know on these parts replacement? Thanks in advance!

Mike

I like Goodyear Gatorback belts, cause they have a neat angled grooves, supposedly to be quieter but look cooler regardless. I run a 190 F T-stat in my cars since a warmer engine is more efficient. It won't make over-heating any more likely since once the T-stat is full open, all are equal.

True that the thermostat sets the engine's minimum operating temperature, not its maximum operating temperature. Also true that hotter engine = more efficient. But there are factors beyond those to consider when picking a stat for a carbureted car; see here (starting at the 2nd section).

Two fresh belts and a 180 Degree Stant SuperStat No. 45358 just waiting for that 65 degree day coming up this Sunday! It has been so many years since I've had a car I can work on myself! I do indeed love that old car!!

-
Back