fan controller question

-
Where are you guys getting your 12v with key on feed from?

Sorry I missed this one. Probably not much help though, mines pulled from the continuous duty relay that’s part of my battery relocation.

Anyone know what Dakota digital sender they are using? I have a big block

The controller? It’s
Dakota Digital Programmable Dual Fan Controllers PAC-2750

If you mean what temperature sending unit I tied to the controller I just used the one for my auto meter temp gauge. There are several sending units that are pre-programmed into the Dakota Digital controller, so you just pick the one you’ve got when you’re setting up the controller. There’s even a way to custom program the controller for whatever sender you have if you really want to get crazy. But most of the big brand brand senders are pre-programmed.

My temp gauge is an old school mechanical one

You’ll have to install another temp sender then. I have two, the stock one that runs the dash gauge and the auto meter gauge that runs my controller and the under dash auto meter (installed because it actually shows degrees and not just a range).

If you look at the instructions for the Dakota controller it’ll tell you which ones are pre-programmed, one of those would be the easiest.

Is the dakota fan controller needed for this setup or can the high speed just be wiring to switch/thermkswitch and run that way, with a 70 or 80 amp relay?

I’m sure you could figure out a way to wire it so it would just run one speed off a thermostatic switch. The fan motors don’t care, you just have to send the voltage.

Although it seems like a complete waste. The Dakota Digital fan controller is one of the best parts of that set up. Easy to program, can program any temperature range you want in like 2* increments, run the fans after you shut down with low voltage protection for the battery, it’s great.

And honestly I don’t know that I would wire it to just run the high speed. The Contour fans pull quite a bit of juice on high speed, and in a few years of daily driving I’ve only had the high speed kick in a couple times, all when I was stuck in traffic with temperatures in 104-110 degree range. Anything less than that the low speed handles just fine.

Contour_Fan_Wiring_zpsfc112fe5.jpg

There's the wiring diagram. Other than that you just have to set it to be a dual speed fan and everything works well. I recommend 200 on/195 off for low speed and 210 on/205 off for high speed with a 185 thermostat.
What are you using for a sender? Dakota? What size? I have an autometer mechanical in my aluminum housing and a thermoswitch for my.old.setup in the small port just to the left of that, but i cant seem to.locate the correct size sender from Dakota. Can you possibly clarify for me? Am ordering the controller relays and want add the sender in this order. Thanks

I'm just using an autometer sender, I believe it's this one AutoMeter Replacement Senders 2258

When you program the Dakota Digital controller there's an entry for the sending unit. There's a bunch of pre-programmed choices (like the autometer), or you can even custom calibrate the controller to whatever sender you have. If you look at the 4th page of the instructions for the Dakota Digital controller you'll see what I mean. https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/dak-pac-2750.pdf

It really helps to read through all of the instructions first, because it covers some of the additional parts you may need. Like a sending unit if you don't already have one on the list. Or the extra relay if you're hooking it up to a dual fan.

I'm just using an autometer sender, I believe it's this one AutoMeter Replacement Senders 2258

When you program the Dakota Digital controller there's an entry for the sending unit. There's a bunch of pre-programmed choices (like the autometer), or you can even custom calibrate the controller to whatever sender you have. If you look at the 4th page of the instructions for the Dakota Digital controller you'll see what I mean. https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/dak-pac-2750.pdf

It really helps to read through all of the instructions first, because it covers some of the additional parts you may need. Like a sending unit if you don't already have one on the list. Or the extra relay if you're hooking it up to a dual fan.
I will do that then, i have a mechanical sending unit for the autometer temp guage, and a 180 thermo switch so ill need to see what dakota says is acceptable, was just trying to order all at once, just an update on a sidebar post I just kinda rigged up a set of contour fans w a 2 core champion and at idle was able to curb the heating issue ive been chasing!

-
Back