Fan Distance

-
the closer the better, mine is approx. 3/4 - 1 inch from the Rad, someone else should chime in, I know closer is better than farther away. A fan shroud is important, although I am not using one.

.75" is a good number to shoot for. A little closer or farther away is ok, remember your engine can move around especially with old oil soaked rubber engine mounts so don't get too close. Fan blades should be 1/2 in 1/2 out of the shroud opening for optimal flow. A shroud will definitely help in getting all the cooling capacity out of the radiator.

What's important is the fan in relationship to the fan shroud, not how close the fan is to the radiator.

Look at something like a 70s Monte Carlo. The fan was over a foot away from the radiator but just inside the shroud.

A shroud is an important part of the cooling system, far to often people think it's optional.

Think about it..... How well would the blower on your home furnace work if you didn't have any ducting? The shroud on the radiator is that ducting.

All

To get the fan within a 1/2 or so, I going to need to find a 2 1/2 spacer. Any suggestions?

Bear

The *simple* answer is to replicate the cooling system that an axle package ( e.g. , "Performance Axle Pkg" , "High Perf Axle Pkg" , "Super Perf Axle Pkg" , "Track Pak" or "Super Track Pak" ) equipped car would have come with from the factory :

- 7 paddle fan
- Thermostatic clutch
- Wide (26") radiator
- Shroud

Fan 'spacers' indicate a direct-drive fan ; and as most of my fellow forum members will recognise , I'm not fond of them . There's a reason why the factory's engineers designed such a system ; it's not just arbitrary .
As previously mentioned , the shroud acts as ducting . It directs airflow through the radiator , and over the engine for optimum heat exchanging .

LH23H2R

The radiator is a slant 6 radiator and is off set to the fan, with no shroud. I don't believe I could get a shroud to fit on the radiator. I looking at a electirc fan and getting the fan closed to the radiator.

I am open for suggestion....

Bear

1968FormulaS340 is right on the money....the distance makes no difference if you have a shroud. If you do not have a shroud I don't know what a good distance should be.

1968FormulaS340 is right on the money....the distance makes no difference if you have a shroud. If you do not have a shroud I don't know what a good distance should be.

The closer the better with no shroud, but that puts a hell of a strain on water pump bearings.

I used the 26 radiator and the Jegs 17'' electric fan and I drive in 100 degree plus weather without a problem.

I have 2- 3/4 inch spacers if you need them.

Even using an electric fan, you'll still need a shroud. A shroud is part of the cooling system. Especially on a high performance vehicle. Just because someone's friend's brother's girlfriend's uncle's brother has gotten away without one, doesn't make it right. Use a shroud. It's a part of a system and should not be eliminated.

Even using an electric fan, you'll still need a shroud. A shroud is part of the cooling system. Especially on a high performance vehicle. Just because someone's friend's brother's girlfriend's uncle's brother has gotten away without one, doesn't make it right. Use a shroud. It's a part of a system and should not be eliminated.

The shroud is built into the fan housing on electrics, so if you have a good sized "puller" fan setup it's good.
Otherwise there is something else keeping my car from overheating when it's 90-105 outside.

Just sayin.

This was with my old radiator and I used it with the new 26 inch rad.
Hey,,,my engine compartment looks like crap.
It's funny what pictures bring out, right.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 273
-
Back