Fan question

-

CoyoteDuster1970

Reaction score
Going fron /6 in my 72 scamp to a 5.9 magnum with v belt set up. Needing a fan. What fan will work for this set up. Its just a stock 5.9 nothing special. Will the slant 6 fan work? Or What JY fans should i look for. I still have thr fan for the 5.9 would that work? Also will a factory a body shroud work?

I'd get my radiator first, then take measurements ( after the motor is in) and try a clutch fan. If you can pick up an old day body shroud for a few bucks or you got one laying around it wouldn't hurt to mock it up and see if it works. I'd venture probably, But, if they change the accessory configurations or pulleys or something like that, then...

I do have a radiator. I bought a 3 core aluminum champion radiator when i first started gathering parts for this swap in 2021 before life got in tge way and put a halt on everything lol

I do have a radiator. I bought a 3 core aluminum champion radiator when i first started gathering parts for this swap in 2021 before life got in tge way and put a halt on everything lol
I hate it when that happened man I just had some serious "life get in the way" issues myself. Still dealing with it. Just Grateful I got my car mostly done before prices and availability went to crap

I hate it when that happened man I just had some serious "life get in the way" issues myself. Still dealing with it. Just Grateful I got my car mostly done before prices and availability went to crap
Yes i had bought most of the parts i needed back then luckily. Mainly i just need the small stuff that i can scavenge from a JY. This build is a quick budget one my son will be 14 this year and I'm in the process of looking for a dart for him so we can work on it together for when he turns 16. So hoping i can get everything needed for the scamp and get everything done by spring

Yes i had bought most of the parts i needed back then luckily. Mainly i just need the small stuff that i can scavenge from a JY. This build is a quick budget one my son will be 14 this year and I'm in the process of looking for a dart for him so we can work on it together for when he turns 16. So hoping i can get everything needed for the scamp and get everything done by spring
Man, that's Awesome! Keep it up and don't let up on it!

If you're swapping to a V belt system, that means you will be swapping timing covers so you can run an LA water pump. You should be able to pick up a fan that will work in the parts for sale section here. Your /6 fan may even work if it's big enough, but a clutch fan would be ideal. Look for fans on motors in F/M/J body cars like Diplomats, Volare/Aspen/5th Avenues. Pre Magnum motor truck/van fans might work, but I'm not sure. Good luck with your build!

Going fron /6 in my 72 scamp to a 5.9 magnum with v belt set up. Needing a fan. What fan will work for this set up. Its just a stock 5.9 nothing special. Will the slant 6 fan work? Or What JY fans should i look for. I still have thr fan for the 5.9 would that work? Also will a factory a body shroud work?

Thanks man! Goodluck with the rest of your build

5.9 fan is completely different and won’t work on a V belt water pump.
When I swapped over from electric cooling I pulled the fan and clutch of an 80’s ? Ford truck and it worked out great. (15 bucks if I recall)
Those mounting bolt spots and shaft diameter are pretty standard.
About an inch between the clutch and a new 3 row core radiator on a 5.9 dressed as an LA.
I’m in Az the temp needle barely moves even without the shroud.

5D610075-0D35-4116-99B7-61131D9229B5.jpeg

Last edited:
5.9 fan is completely different and won’t work on a V belt water pump.
When I swapped over from electric cooling I pulled the fan and clutch of an 80’s ? Ford truck and it worked out great. (15 bucks if I recall)
Those mounting bolt spots and shaft diameter are pretty standard.
About an inch between the clutch and a new 3 row core radiator on a 5.9 dressed as an LA.
I’m in Az the temp needle barely moves even without the shroud.

View attachment 1716038513
I assume a small block ford ?

I would run a thermal clutch and a 7 blade fan. As stated above, you need to understand your clearance before you spend money. The aftermarket radiators are usually thicker and are sometimes positioned closer to the engine the way they mount.

The magnum fan runs the opposite direction of an LA, so it needs to be matched to your water pump, belt system.

I have a nine blade magnum fan from a truck that I bought before I understood the difference. PM me if you are interested.

And the fan runs in the opposite direction because the water pump also is turning in the opposite direction on the serpentine belt drive. You need a standard ( non Magnum) water pump as well when changing to the old belt drive system.
Why change to the v-belt drive ? The serpentine belt system is better and more compact giving you more space between the radiator and the fan.

i find the highest CFM electric fan i can and run those, never had a cooling issue, and no parasitic horsepower loss.

52120320_10210542394356067_6110669809920245760_n.jpg

-
Back