Fan shroud hardware on 68 Barracuda small block

-

fxrtharley

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to add a fan shroud but nowhere am I able to see how the shroud is secured to the radiator. I have what I believe to be an aftermarket radiator but there are four holes near the same location as shown on what I also believe to be the correct shroud from Mancini. I find the clips as shown to be the ones for this model but I don't know how they attach to the radiator. The four holes in the radiator frame are tight against the core so there is no room for the threaded side to go in between frame and core. Does anyone have a picture or know how I can mount the shroud? I have a 68 barracuda with a small block and 20 inch fan
Thanks

1702838011236.png

1702837885832.png

IMG_1584.jpg

They use what's called a u-nut that is a piece of sheet metal bent in the shape of a U with threads on one side and wraps around the holes in the radiator...

Then the bolts screw into that...

Hi all, I am looking to add a fan shroud but nowhere am I able to see how the shroud is secured to the radiator. I have what I believe to be an aftermarket radiator but there are four holes near the same location as shown on what I also believe to be the correct shroud from Mancini. I find the clips as shown to be the ones for this model but I don't know how they attach to the radiator. The four holes in the radiator frame are tight against the core so there is no room for the threaded side to go in between frame and core. Does anyone have a picture or know how I can mount the shroud? I have a 68 barracuda with a small block and 20 inch fan
Thanks

View attachment 1716179557

View attachment 1716179555

View attachment 1716179556

Mancini does not have the correct ones...

Look on page 74 or 75 of the Mr. G's fastener catalog:

1702839607387.png

Page 75:

1702839649299.png

I'm not sure what size the bolts are, but if I remember correctly, they have a 7/16" head on them.... I'm not sure what size bolt diameter that goes to, maybe someone else can help out...

Get the u-nut to match the bolt diameter and thread...

Why do you need the shroud? A/C car? Not cooling good enough? HP engine now? By the looks of it, an aftermarket fan, and it's too far from the radiator. Some aftermarket fans are absolute junk for street driving. You need one that pulls some air. A shroud is not usually needed for a fairly stock non-A/C car.

Why do you need the shroud? A/C car? Not cooling good enough? HP engine now? By the looks of it, an aftermarket fan, and it's too far from the radiator. Some aftermarket fans are absolute junk for street driving. You need one that pulls some air. A shroud is not usually needed for a fairly stock non-A/C car.
Thanks cudamark
I have seen many cars with and without the shroud so not sure if needed but summer time it does get hot. I only have a dummy gage which does not show temp but with heat gun can get up to 215. The engine has a little bigger cam but not heavy on the HP as well as no AC. The fan is 2 inches from core and waterpump is 3 3/4 .
Do you think something like this would fit and do just as good as adding a shroud? Certainly should be easier. Thoughts?
OEM Mopar 340 360 400 440 #3462149 Clutch Fan Cuda Challenger Charger Dart NICE | eBay
1702850016723.png

1702850061000.png

IMG_1587.jpg

Looks like your engine has been converted to a flat multigroove belt setup. Assuming that all the pulley diameters are correct and the water flow is also the way it should be, that 7 blade clutch fan should work better than that aftermarket fan you have. I prefer a solid/rigid fan myself, but, other's like the clutch fans. To me, it's just one more thing to fail. You get a bit more air flow with a solid fan too, at the expense of a small bit of horsepower. I also like the factory solid fan spacers instead of the aftermarket slotted cross type. I've seen too many pulleys crack because of them.

Aftermarket should fit radiator? Yes, the information given is correct. Watch out for running too long of a screw into a core, causing a trip to the radiator shop.

-
Back