Fan shroud mounting question

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Having trouble finding the right fasteners to attach my shroud to my radiator. The clips are too small. I have the 22 in radiator but it is an autozone replacement, not factory. Could this make a difference? What hardware should I be looking for. I have attached pictures of the mounting locations for reference. Thanks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Anyone? This is a 71 Demon if that matters and that is what Autozone sold me the radiator for. It for sure is the 22in one. My new shroud came in today, need to find the right fasteners. Thanks.

Here's a pic of original shroud mounting clips. Hope it helps....

Shroud Clips 001.jpg

Here's a pic of original shroud mounting clips. Hope it helps....

View attachment 1714931522
Thanks 6pk. That does help....confuse me further ha.
Those clips look a lot like the ones in the mounting kit I bought. (I will confirm tomorrow when I get back out to the shop) The problem is either I am doing something wrong or when I slide the clip on to the tab of the radiator the holes aren't close to lining up. Its almost like the hole in my radiator is on the opposite side of the hole on the clip if that makes any sense. You can see in my pictures how far the hole is from the edge where the clip would slide on.

Get yourself a Nutzert threaded insert installation tool. That's what I had to use to attach mine.
I am not familiar with that jbc. I did a quick google but it only confused me further. That is a tool to rivet in a threaded insert? Where would that go, near the existing holes? Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I am just missing something with the clips I have.

Not knowing exactly what the shroud is or how it's mounting holes line up with the radiator I think I would consider 1/4 pop rivets.
If it can work for you, great.
If not then can you post a pic or two of exactly how they line up together?

Not knowing exactly what the shroud is or how it's mounting holes line up with the radiator I think I would consider 1/4 pop rivets.
If it can work for you, great.
If not then can you post a pic or two of exactly how they line up together?

Thanks TrailBeast
I'm not sure yet if they do line up for sure. The shroud is from classic industries, #MA2228 which is a reproduction of factory part 2998325. It just came in today and I didn't want to pull the fan to install it until I was sure I had the right mounting hardware. That is a good point though. I will do that and see if the holes line up and go from there. I will report back with pics.

Thanks TrailBeast
I'm not sure yet if they do line up for sure. The shroud is from classic industries, #MA2228 which is a reproduction of factory part 2998325. It just came in today and I didn't want to pull the fan to install it until I was sure I had the right mounting hardware. That is a good point though. I will do that and see if the holes line up and go from there. I will report back with pics.

If the holes line up nice I personally would try to use the speed nut type like pictured even if you have to get bigger or even smaller ones.
Length of the screw is critical using those though, but I'm sure you can see what your limits are behind there where the screw would extend.

I remember doing one once with 10/32 machine screws with fender washers against the shroud and a nut in that pocket on the radiator frame.

If the holes line up nice I personally would try to use the speed nut type like pictured even if you have to get bigger or even smaller ones.
Length of the screw is critical using those though, but I'm sure you can see what your limits are behind there where the screw would extend.

I remember doing one once with 10/32 machine screws with fender washers against the shroud and a nut in that pocket on the radiator frame.
Sounds good. Maybe it won't be that bad after all. Hopefully the holes line up and I will go from there. Hopefully I will have some answers tomorrow.

I think what is different is the mounting holes on that after market radiator. I have encountered that in the past. What I wound up using was larger sell taping screws, kind of like a license plate screw only for metal. Like the screws holding your voltage regulator on or the ground wires on the radiator core support. I screwed them right in the radiator hole without a speed clip. Hope this helps.

I think what is different is the mounting holes on that after market radiator. I have encountered that in the past. What I wound up using was larger sell taping screws, kind of like a license plate screw only for metal. Like the screws holding your voltage regulator on or the ground wires on the radiator core support. I screwed them right in the radiator hole without a speed clip. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Unfortunately I was afraid of this. The mounting tabs look correct but as you say it is the holes that appear to be the problem. This soulution doesn't sound too bad though. I will know more when I line the shroud up tomorrow. Thanks SG!

Well, it seems the aftermarket radiator is the culprit. Didn't get far enough to tell if the holes line up because the mounting locations themselves are about an inch off top to bottom. Thank you all for the replies.

For future reference, anyone know of a replacement radiator that's actually built to factory specs with original mounting locations etc?

Maybe you can get a couple steel strips from Home Depot. Mount them to the top and bottom shroud mounting holes. A nutsert kit from Harbor freight would work. Then mount the shroud exactly where you need it using short self tapping screws.

Thanks. I handn't thought of that. Would definitely be worth a shot until I need to replace the rad.

We just re-drilled new holes in the rad's side flange (with a thin plate inserted between the flange and core so as to not drill into the core) and put Tinnerman nuts on the flange, then cut some screws to catch the nuts and not be so long as to go into the core when tightened. Works fine. I'll get a pix when no longer raining...

-
Back