Fan shroud on 65 Dart

-

B Taylor

Reaction score
I have a 65 Dart GT 225 slant 6 and I do not have a fan shroud. Car stays cool but I would like to add a fan shroud. Are there choices for one or should I just make one?

Factory shrouds for both V8 and the slant are hard to come by and kind of expensive when you do. Shrouds were found on cars mostly with factory AC and/or HD cooling.

My radiator guy recorded a 65 V8 22 inch radiator and added slant hose fittings where they would have been if the factory offered as I wanted the larger radiator in my wagon. Needless to say there is no factory shroud for this combination. So I bought a sheet metal brake with the idea of making a shroud for my application and making close copies of the V8 and slant shrouds. I bent a couple of trial pieces so it appears it might be possible. It's among the many projects I have going with my wagon!

I have made them before but wanted to see if a more stock look in the car was possible. I was thinking of going with a larger radiator later when I get a chance to add AC to the Dart.

Stock shrouds are 2-piece sheet metal, I think, and as-stated only on some models and very rare today since most corroded or were tossed. On my 65 Dart w/ 273, I have a copper square-top radiator for a ~72 Dart that I think is for a slant (1.5" lower hose), bought at Autozone. I have a later plastic shroud which I recall buying on ebay. But, this only works since I changed to the later aluminum water pump, but would fit your slant. Don't recall if I had to drill mounting holes in the radiator flange.

-
Back