Fan, Shroud & Radiator - Optimal Spacing?

-

BLUEBYU

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering, does anyone have any experience in trying to find the optimal spacing btw fan blades & radiator both with and without shroud? Also, when fabricating a shroud, is there an optimal radiator to shroud depth and/or fan blade to shroud spacing? I'm sure there are many other variables to consider such as number of blades, clutches, blade pitch, etc that influence the outcome. But are there any rules of thumb out there?

Can ya tell, ...I'm an anal engineer!

Thanks in advance.

BLUEBYU,

I have never tested it on a car BUT - I had a similar issue with a fan at the top of an A/C compressor.... turns out ~ 1/3 to 1/2 way into the shroud was optimal.

I do not have any data that would help ... only that the high-side pressure came down best at that level.....

And ... I wish I was a "anal" engineer .... getting that degree was too hard!

Kory

You should have the fan about half way into the shroud.

The fan about 1" away from the radiator is good. Close enough to be effective but far enough away in case the drive train shifts.

You should have the fan about half way into the shroud.

The fan about 1" away from the radiator is good. Close enough to be effective but far enough away in case the drive train shifts.
TY for your input. My next project will be a SB stroker for my 67 dart 2 dr "post". Will most likely need some real cooling power as I live in Phoenix! Any advice/lessons learned on your stroker? Cooling or otherwise?

69 FB cuda brings back found memories of my 68 383 FB cuda I drove in college. It was the same color as yours. Thanks again. Wayne

TY Kory for the feedback! I'm a newbee and just learning my way around the site, so I'm a bit ackward in using the site features. LOL Wayne

-
Back