Fan, water pump, radiator wont fit...

-

Rod 69 Cuda

Reaction score
Hello,
New build, '69 Barracuda, 340, no A/C. Was told the front end of motor is '70 based on right side outlet of water pump. I have a radiator that is lower right side as well. The fan wont fit as there is only a 3 inch clearance between the radiator and end of the water pump and it appears that I need at least 4.5 inches.

Q1: Does a '70 water pump stick out farther from the block (meaning closer to the radiator) than a '69, allowing more room for the fan?
Q2: Is the radiator (2582942) correct for this set up? If not, what radiator would work? Correct size and part number would be awesome?
Q3: Is the fan appropriate for this set up ('69 Barracuda, 340, with '70 front end motor, no A/C)? If not, what fan do I need? Why are the fan blades not equal distance from each other?
Q4: If this is what you had, what would you do? I kind of want to keep the water pump if possible.

Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions, haha.
Rod

IMG_5583.jpeg

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

iron water pump (left side inlet from rear) is shorter. Fan blades are actually balanced, offset for some reason, maybe to reach the bolts..... (they are not clocked due to being run by a belt). Run a rigid fan?

Alot of them had a solid fan instead of e clutch fan back then. I remember that the factory service manuals had a chart in them telling which engine/trans/body/ ac-or-not combos had a clutch fan and which ones were solid. Even my B body 78 Fury has a solid fan drive. With factory AC. And they didn't stick out as far

run a 18in flex fan /shroud it.... check your pulley alignment crank/water pump ect//69 and earlier had diff pulleys //your going to have a large radius run of your heater hoses/unless they are being capped off

Last edited:
The offset blades were designed for reduced noise and they discovered they moved more air than a traditional symmetrical fan.

Also, the passenger's side inlet water pump is incorrect for a 69, I believe. The cast iron early driver's side inlet pump is correct, but I do believe that means you will need the early timing cover as well. That is, if you want to run a clutch fan.

I have similar issues but they are due to, most likely, different reasons than yours. But I'm tagging along to see what everyone says and how you resolve the issue.

I have similar issues but they are due to, most likely, different reasons than yours. But I'm tagging along to see what everyone says and how you resolve the issue.
If you get that green snake out your nose, you'd be a lot more comfortable.

Hello,
New build, '69 Barracuda, 340, no A/C. Was told the front end of motor is '70 based on right side outlet of water pump. I have a radiator that is lower right side as well. The fan wont fit as there is only a 3 inch clearance between the radiator and end of the water pump and it appears that I need at least 4.5 inches.

Q1: Does a '70 water pump stick out farther from the block (meaning closer to the radiator) than a '69, allowing more room for the fan?
Q2: Is the radiator (2582942) correct for this set up? If not, what radiator would work? Correct size and part number would be awesome?
Q3: Is the fan appropriate for this set up ('69 Barracuda, 340, with '70 front end motor, no A/C)? If not, what fan do I need? Why are the fan blades not equal distance from each other?
Q4: If this is what you had, what would you do? I kind of want to keep the water pump if possible.

Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions, haha.
Rod

View attachment 1715812611

View attachment 1715812612

View attachment 1715812613

View attachment 1715812614

View attachment 1715812615

Not sure if this will help you or not but Hayden makes a fan clutch for when you have less than 3 in to the water pump. Hayden part number 2947. I have the same problem and are about to put mine together I'll let you know how I make out. I literally have slightly under 3 in clearance from the water pump bolts to the radiator core. I will probably assemble it tomorrow and I'll let you know.

Yes, cast iron pump is shorter.

Q2: Is the radiator (2582942) correct for this set up? If not, what radiator would work? Correct size and part number would be awesome
The fact that the bottom outlet is on passanger side i would say it is not correct.
66 parts book shows the number

Screenshot_20211030-160830.png

Ebay shows it is a 66 charger rad, but the photos sho the outlet on the drivers side.

1966 Plymouth Belvedere Dodge Coronet Charger 22” Radiator 2582942 | eBay

Screenshot_20211030-160245.png

Screenshot_20211030-155723.png

Q3: Is the fan appropriate for this set up ('69 Barracuda, 340, with '70 front end motor, no A/C)? If not, what fan do I need? Why are the fan blades not equal distance from each other

I dont know if a thermal clutch fan was standard or an option in 69. In 67 my 273 has 7 blade fixed fan, no shroud.
As gor blade spacing, it makes the fam quieter. Look at the tread on your tires they are random sized for the same reason.

Screenshot_20211030-155606~2.png

Q4: If this is what you had, what would you do? I kind of want to keep the water pump if possible

I would start by getting a 7 blade fixed fan, and see if it will fit well.

Other than that, swap the WP for a year correct. Have the radiator outlet moved to the drivers side. Your timmimg cover will be fine just get the bolt on timming indicator like 67 68 had. You may have to make a new TDC mark on the balancer.

Also if you change your WP you will need year correct alternator brakets

Last edited:
Yes, cast iron pump is shorter.

The fact that the bottom outlet is on passanger side i would say it is not correct.
View attachment 1715812792

View attachment 1715812790

I dont know if a thermal clutch fan was standard or an option in 69. In 67 my 273 has 7 blade fixed fan, no shroud.
As gor blade spacing, it makes the fam quieter. Look at the tread on your tires they are random sized for the same reason.

View attachment 1715812791

I would start by getting a 7 blade fixed fan, and see if it will fit well.

Other than that, swap the WP for a year correct. Have the radiator outlet moved to the drivers side. Your timmimg cover will be fine just get the bolt on timming indicator like 67 68 had. You may have to make a new TDC mark on the balancer.

Also if you change your WP you will need year correct alternator brakets
GREAT INTEL....Thanks Dana.

Not sure if this will help you or not but Hayden makes a fan clutch for when you have less than 3 in to the water pump. Hayden part number 2947. I have the same problem and are about to put mine together I'll let you know how I make out. I literally have slightly under 3 in clearance from the water pump bolts to the radiator core. I will probably assemble it tomorrow and I'll let you know.
Thanks, and let me know...Good luck.

Do not know what radiator you have. The '69 water pump inlet is on the driver's side, cast iron and is 3/4" shorter. My '69 Dart, I have a Cold Case radiator, '69 pump, Hayden 2947 clutch and a 7 blade 17" Mopar fan. I have room.
I would send a picture, but this site won't load it. If you care to pm your email address, I can send you a picture.

My 67 dart 273 cast iron water pump. spacer plus another 2 inches
What i do not understand is how there can be fit issues with SBM and stock radiators.

Only thing i can think of is mounting brkt on rad pushes rad farther back.

20190202_175239.jpg
20190202_175154.jpg

If you look at Dana's pictures and the op's, they are taken from about the same angle or place, see how much longer the nose is on that pump? That's more than 3/4's of an inch, that was the difference between my aluminum pump and the cast iron pump. Was or is there a longer nosed pump available?

-
Back