farm combine slant engines

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
curious?? . some of the old combines around here used the slant. I don't remember the brands, maybe M -F, Gleaner etc????? pretty common here. just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of them worth passing on????? any good for car. I figure not as the DUST involved would be awful hard on them, even though very low hours. just wondering......

They also used the earlier flathead industrial six. We had a Co-op combine and a Co-op #3 tractor with them. Our machines were both manufactured by Massey Harris, and I know the neighbor's Massey Harris combine had the Mopar six for power. I saw later machines with slants, but we never owned one. A neighbor had a swather with a slant, but I don't recall the brand.

There probably were some differences from car motors, but except for accessory mounts and other bolt-on items, I don't recall anything different in the basic engine when we overhauled them. Carburetors, camshafts, ignition systems and manifolds would be the likely differences.

Every machine we had during that era used an oil bath air cleaner and depending on the conditions we sometimes cleaned and changed them every day or two.

The slant I got out of the Clarke Cortez had a side draft intake with a carter YF carb.

A lot of the older small CASE combines had slants in them. They were the industrial versions. And...there were quite a few slants used for center pivot irrigation systems too.

We had a 410 M-F combine on our farm and it had a GM straight six in it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-whh9THlqg"]Cold start and how to run the John Deere 800 Swather - YouTube[/ame]

Others will find the industrial inline 6 cyl. powering forklifts and such. The engine was used pretty much everywhere. The industrial red paint says forged steel crank if nothing more.

Bruce (RIP) told me on more than one occasion that the industrial and agricultural slants were cast thicker than the production car and truck slants. If anyone would have known, it would have been him. He also said the heads were different, thicker, more reinforced and all had hardened exhaust seats.

I do know that they did have both single and dual point distributors with a cast iron housing and sans vacuum advance. Beyond that, I am at a loss.

I would take Bruce's (RIP) description as gospel. That guy really knew more than anyone I have ever known regarding details like that. Anyone who ever had the pleasure of meeting him can vouch for that.

I can also say this.....although not about the slant, the early Hemi industrial versions and truck versions were cast with an "extended service block". That meant that the blocks were capable of extreme overbore. I have one. The idea was not to have to ever replace the block, but just keep over boring it as needed. We sonic tested mine before I assembled it and on the thrust side is was over .300" thick on all of them. Stupid thick. I am sure they did other engines the same.

I have seen the Chrysler straight 8 used as a water pump power plant for a huge industrial complex. And get this, the block had corroded from 60 years of water. The minimum replacement power plant that the fire Marshall would accept was an 11.7 litre Detroit diesel.

I've also seen the /6 in a Lull high lift telehandler.
Chrysler engines were what Cummins is today. The standard for industrial / commercial power plants whether stationary or mobile.

The trams at World's Of Fun in Kansas City had propane powered slant sixes with 727 transmissions and I believe 8 3/4 rears.

I remember seeing some early hemis powering irrigation pumps in fields in western Kansas as a kid in the early eighties.

The guy at R+R salvage told me that rollercoaster drives used 8 3/4 chunks, when I asked about the dumpster full of cut up 8 3/4 rears

Here's another interesting machine...formerly a MF swather, now converted into a snow blower! And, of course, with slant power.:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 513
Here's another interesting machine...formerly a MF swather, now converted into a snow blower! And, of course, with slant power.:)

guys on the farm up NORTH must have lots of imagination and skills, and time on their hands!!! looks really cool!

I live on the edge of the prairie and the Ozark hills, go one way, in row crop country, other way its grass, cattle, and harvesting Fescue grass seeds ( only use of the conbine there).

Gotta do what we gotta do!;) here's another article about Slanty farm equipment...no pics, though. /6 farm equipment is sort of a specialty of mine.;)

Farmer Repowers Tractors with Junked Car Engines
Junked car engines are great for repowering farm tractors, forage harvesters, combines and other equipment, according to a Washington farmer who's installed car engines in two tractors and his 912 New Holland self-propelled swather.
"Farmers should consider adapting car engines to farm equipment because good car engines are generally available for a fraction of the cost of replacement or rebuilt engines for tractors and other farm equipment," says Bob Stewart, Zillah, Wash.
For example, he says that when the 4-cyl. Ford 250 cc industrial engine in his 1963 New Holland swather went out, he had it rebuilt at cost of $2,300. When it broke down again just 100 hrs. later, he went out and bought a used 1978 Dodge Aspen 225 slant six engine with just 55,000 miles on it for $350 and installed it in the machine. He says all he had to do was rebuild the motor mounts and machine a plate to bolt the crankshaft to the machine's driveshaft.
"It has plenty of power and uses less than a gal. of fuel per acre versus 3 gal. per acre with the Ford engine. The engine runs hotter so we had to insulate the gas tank," says Stewart. He also notes that rpm's were speeded up to 2,850 from 2,500 which speeded up the knives, reel and auger. "It now outcuts a new 1986 self-propelled New Holland swather. It cuts like a lawn mower," states Stewart.
He also put junked engines in his 1950 Oliver 77 diesel tractor and his Deere "R" diesel.
"The dealer wanted $1,700 to rebuild the engine in the Oliver so, for only $50, I put a used 1974 slant six Dodge Dart engine in and went from a 38-hp. diesel power to 110 hp. gas. It adapted to all existing parts except that I had to drill the flywheel to adapt the crankshaft and put a plate on the bell housing," says Stewart. He also had to reroute steering rods and cut a section out of the frame to make room for the oil pump.
In another conversion, Stewart installed a 305 V-6 GMC pickup engine in his Deere "R" diesel and has used it for the past 6 years. He says the new engine, which had to be mounted sideways, has enough power to spin the tractor's duals in the field. He bought the tractor, which had a cracked block, for $800 and the total cost of conversion was $1,200. He machined V-pulleys into the flywheel and drives the crankshaft with V-belts through 2:1 ratio pulleys. He says the tractor, to which he also added hydraulics during the conversion, now develops tremendous power thanks to the high compression, low torque GMC engine.
"For $2,000 I got a powerful 85 hp, tractor," he notes.

In the mid '70s I pulled a pea and lima bean combine for Aunt Nellie's Foods and Oconomowoc Canning Co. It used a slanty. They ran for hours on end flawlessly.

-
Back