Fast and Loud Thinks Shelby Dakota is basically worthless???

-
Wait, was it a Shelby, or a convertible? Can't be both...I tried to get one built that way in 1990.

...and remember, these are the guys that hought a 74 Lincoln Mark was a gold mine and a earlier version with needlessly complex 1" fender flares an air susp was a platinum mine.

Last one I saw was he theft of the 67 BB Corvette, and the subsequent give away.

Do these guys know ANYTHING about car values?

I still wish I could do what those guys do...and I still think I could make better decisions.

Prefer Gas Monkey,brings different cool stuff in.My favorites,the Willys,and the Rambler wagon.That Willys,needed to fire on tv,I would have watched the show for life.

That 32 ford would never be worth what they wanted. 90k, those guys at gas monkey need to put down the crack pipe.

Wait, was it a Shelby, or a convertible? Can't be both...I tried to get one built that way in 1990
Whoops! My bad! I dont know what i was thinking, you are correct. No Shelby convertibles were made. i still stand by my statement though that a Shelby Dak is nothing special.

So I can already tell I'm gonna catch some fire under my @$$ for this comment, but here goes...

I hate to say it, but in my OPINION the Shelby Dakota is no more appealing to me than an average Dak (we have three 92's sitting in my front yard, all with the 3.9L V6). And don't get me wrong, I love the Dakota.

So Shelby took a truck, chopped the roof off and snazzed it up, meanwhile completely ignoring any kind of performance potential for the V6. Oh, and on some models, they put a bone stock 318 in the truck only a few years before Chrysler decided to do the same thing.

Big... Whoop...

You say opinion, but factually I think you're dead on. Its basically the dodge equivillent of the s10 xtreme, except dodge(or shelby?)neglected to anything to make it more sporty than a stock dakota(s10 xtremes have handling suspension)

Gas Monkeys the same Morons that dumped over $20,000+++ into a 1978 Ford Fairlane put a $8,000 Chrome paint job on it customized it with Gas Monkey Logos and made it a drift car ?? At auction highest bid was $7500....

He also made a derby car and put $2000 worth of wheels on it. I liked that ultra rare car that they had, their was only 9 in existence and they customized it. Wtf.

Just give Richard a few beers and he'd change his opinion about the Dakota. Just got to know where his weak spots are. I enjoy watching F&L. He sure took in the shorts over that chromed Ford Fairmont that was made into a 'drifter'! Haw!

Glenn

drama? IMO the best part of the show is the lack of anything i would quantify as drama. I see little for the camera disputes, but when i think drama i think of those retards from OCC(ugh, i cant believe its still on the air) and the days of that awful boyd coddington show.

I agree. Thats why I like the show. Its TV you have to take it for what it is.

By the way the Vette the sold to cheap didnt have the 427 in it. It had a 350.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day! Didn't see this episode but sounds like they finally got this one right. I like the show but have only see it about 4 times, they lost big money ever time - how realistic!

I actually agree, in part about the fairmont- the reason it makes a good drift car is that is has factory r&p steering. Ford was WAY ahead with that. (although I don't think i would have invested the $$ and labor to change from a 3.73 rear to a 4.10)

We had those as driver ed cars, and they are actually nice handilng cars.

Too bad the public lumped them in with granadas and citaitions, and called them crap.

I though the 67 vette had the second highest HP engine available?

...and how come me and you know more about current car values (even makes we don't specialize in) than these professional car people (that seem to go to auctions a lot)?

I will give props to the least ammount of unnecessary drama (unless you call racing a borrowed corvette over 5K drama), and at least it does for the most part revolve around the cars and the car business (and not stupid employee personality conflicts).

The vette was an original 427 , 435hp 3X2 car but was missing the original motor and had a 350 in it.

I loved my Dakota with a 318... basically Shelby Dakota minus decals and rear " whatever you want to call it ".. They are VERY uncomfortable trucks ... basically you have to sit straight up ... and i am 5'11"... It was Perfect and i could not get more than 3600... SO i cant see a truck with a couple of stickers , plastic " what you call it " and a numbered badge ... getting much more ... rather have a little red express ...

...and one of my friends (OK, aquantences) had just bought a Shelby Daytona, that came out with both Shelby and IROC badging (one of two) a year earlier...

So I went to the dealer and tried to order a Shelby v8 Dakota convertible.

I was in talks for almost a year, and finally they said "wait until next year and you can have a v8 Dakota without it having to be a Shelby, and that will be easier to do".

...of couse then they said thay couldn't do a convertible any more :(

Gas Monkeys the same Morons that dumped over $20,000+++ into a 1978 Ford Fairlane put a $8,000 Chrome paint job on it customized it with Gas Monkey Logos and made it a drift car ?? At auction highest bid was $7500....

it was a Fairmont.. not a Fairlane

Also, I am no drift fan, by any stretch of the imagination... but I think 'morons' is a bit harsh.. They tried to think outside the box.. Tried to do something out of their element.. They both admitted to knowing nothing about drifting (which despite what people think appears to actually take some amount of skill) Aaron said he had never built a drifter... So they took a shot.. Heck, its their money, they can spend it however they want... I personally wouldnt have done that, but thats what makes us all unique... i will still give Kudo's for giving it a shot.. And they lost their asses on it.. My only thing was, I thought they picked the wrong kind of car to make into a drifter...but then again, I think that was part of the point.. I get the impression money isnt the be all end all to them.. look at the money they dumped into the derby car.. (with a pretty penny spent on wheels and tires for a car that was gonna get smashed) and they werent even able to use the car.... They seem to enjoy cars, they enjoy flipping them, and they actually seem to be genuinly happy and getting a kick out of what they do for a living... god bless them, cause I dont enjoy sh*t about what I do for a living.. LOL ...

i think its hilarious how they go and chop, channel, cut , buy , flip and "customize" all these hard to find or "rare" cars. they wouldnt have a show unless they were doing all that questionable crap. i dont go out of my way to watch any of it. after all, it is television and they only play with that stuff to attract attention. the dakota just as easily could have been a demon or charger. its all staged anyway. who cares

I like the show. I sent the show an email one time to let them know the flag that had hanging on the wall was hung up incorrectly and within 5 minutes I got a reply from Richard Rawlins stating it would be corrected. I thought that was pretty cool!

Somebody else must have not liked the Daktoa because that is why he got it for free! I look at it like this he didn't like the truck and now a charity has received $2,500. So that is the positive of the situation!

I noticed that the idiot with the long beard is very anti-Mopar. In a pervious episode they went to a guys garage that had a buch of restored Mopars and his coment was "why?". Don't like him but still like the show . That guy reminds me of the guys on Pinks that would pit the 2 Mopars against each other so that the Chevs had a better chance of winning. Oh and by the way, if they really wanted to be unique and get their money out of that car they should have put a REAL engine in it like a 392 Hemi and not a BORING , everybody's. got one small block Chev.

So Shelby took a truck, chopped the roof off and snazzed it up, meanwhile completely ignoring any kind of performance potential for the V6. Oh, and on some models, they put a bone stock 318 in the truck only a few years before Chrysler decided to do the same thing.

Big... Whoop...

No fire under your a$$, but I have yet to see a Shelby Dakota that was made by Shelby with the roof chopped off and an ignored v6...

Agreed, he only dropped a stock 318 in front of a 3.9 geared rear, but they were a one year deal of only 1500 produced... a third being white, all the rest red.

The v6 trucks were not Shelby's, simply Dakota Sports that were sent out for the ragtop coversion.... Two different builds for 2 different purposes.

Wow I own a Shelby Dak bought it new still have it. Some of you guys saying how ugly it is should look at the crap you have. I did.

If you don't like Fast 'n Loud you could always start watching the housewives of orange county or MTV Teen mom shows LOL!!!
I watched a few times, but seems they aim too high on their builds, and the ambience of talking with gangsta hands, tattoos, and ZZ Top beard turns me off.

My favorite "fixin cars" show is Wheeler Dealers. They seem most authentic in showing the real effort behind the work, and the British accents and terminology is captivating. In one episode, they came to the States and bought a 70's Charger. Another had a rare British Interceptor (?) sports car with Chrysler 383.

Texas Car Wars is interesting. I like Rodriguez work, like the GreenGo racer he made from a Mercury and his comment when passing on a M-B, "no Eurotrash in my shop".

-
Back