Fast-ratio steering box - What's it worth

-

rklein383

Reaction score
Ok,
my 383-s Barracuda came from the factory with fast ratio steering. Is the steering box different or it just a longer pitman arm. I need to replace the pitman arm and I don't know what to order.

thanks for the help,
Rod

Ok,
my 383-s Barracuda came from the factory with fast ratio steering. Is the steering box different or it just a longer pitman arm. I need to replace the pitman arm and I don't know what to order.

thanks for the help,
Rod

Your manual aluminum Steering box has different gears in it. Pitman is the same as the 383 power steering pitman.

What are your steering wheel turns from lock to lock?

Is your car coded on the tag or buildsheet for Quick Ratio Sterering?

My window sticker shows a S75 code and noun description for fast ratio steering. However, the fender tag doesn't show S75 but build sheet shows the S75 code.

How many turns, lock to lock is fast ratio steering?

Rod

Fast ratio is about 3.5 turns lock to lock. Standard ratio is about 5 turns.

Just jacked my car up and it is fast ratio steering. 3 1/2 turns lock to lock.
Rod

Just curious, whats a fast ratio steering box worth?

New one is around $500, some one restoring a car to original might pay a bit.

New one is around $500, some one restoring a car to original might pay a bit.

I wasn't aware you could buy a new one or even parts to rebuild an old one.
This has been talked about and they said they couldn't get one but I never checked.
Do you have a link so I can post it when someone askes?

I pretty sure Flaming river makes one it all new

Just curious, whats a fast ratio steering box worth?

I just went back to edit my post.

The pitman is the same at the power steering pitman for you car.

But 383 cars are listed as getting a special pitman. It supposed to hang down a little lower for head pipe clearance. No longer made or available new.

People have put the standard pitman on thier 383 without issue. But I would not throw away your worn pitman. Unless you can 100% confirm it's been replaced with a standard non 383 pitman at sometime in it's life.

www.rareparts.com will rebuild your old pitman.

It is really rare for a 383 car to get fast ratio steering. I would not sell that steering box and keep it with your car.

Are you bothered by the heavy steering of your car currently? What front tire pressures do you run? I'd bump up radial tires to about 32-35 lbs. You should feel a difference.

It might not be optimum to get 50,000 miles out of your tires, but heck if you only drive the car 5,000 miles/year the tires will need replacing due to age before the tread wears out anyway. So might as well make the car more easier to drive and enjoy.

how can you tell the difference ....how would i know if i have satndard ratio or fast ??

By the number of turns from lock-to-lock, fewer the turns, faster the ratio

Fast ratio is about 3.5 turns lock to lock. Standard ratio is about 5 turns.

I can check mine too but this sounds right. I got mine after my car was together, still have to install it. It is a factory unit from a 66 Barracuda, only way to tell it's a fast ratio is by turning the shaft, otherwise it looks likes a standard gear box.

is there a way to tell the difference if somone has a pile of them from parted cars over the years?

Just by turning the splined shaft and counting how many turns before it locks, just mark the spline with something so it's easier to see it go around. Isn't it "keyed?" so it can only mount to the steering shaft one way? you can go by this mark to when testing them.

I am not going to sell my box, just was curious about how much it was worth. Thanks for the tip about having rareparts rebuild it.

Rod

I just went back to edit my post.

The pitman is the same at the power steering pitman for you car.

But 383 cars are listed as getting a special pitman. It supposed to hang down a little lower for head pipe clearance. No longer made or available new.

People have put the standard pitman on thier 383 without issue. But I would not throw away your worn pitman. Unless you can 100% confirm it's been replaced with a standard non 383 pitman at sometime in it's life.

www.rareparts.com will rebuild your old pitman.

It is really rare for a 383 car to get fast ratio steering. I would not sell that steering box and keep it with your car.

Are you bothered by the heavy steering of your car currently? What front tire pressures do you run? I'd bump up radial tires to about 32-35 lbs. You should feel a difference.

It might not be optimum to get 50,000 miles out of your tires, but heck if you only drive the car 5,000 miles/year the tires will need replacing due to age before the tread wears out anyway. So might as well make the car more easier to drive and enjoy.

Classic Industries lists the correct pitman arm for 67-69 A-bodies with a 383.

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/20492.html

Rod

Notice it's not a K*** part number like the other suspension parts listed. K*** is a Moog part numbering system. My guess is that 383 pitman is not from a normal source (Moog, TRW, Perfect Circle, etc)

Check with www.rareparts.com to see if they repro this Pitman.

Interesting dilemma... How do you determine if your pitman arm is a 383 piece.

Then, do you buy the supposed repro arm or have yours rebuild.

I emailed rareparts for a quote to rebuild mine and will compare the 107 dollar price at classic industries to the rebuild cost.

As far as determining if mine is an original piece, I think that it is. I rebuilt the suspension 20 years ago with polygraphite stuff and it was pretty apparrent that everything was original pieces. The only thing I didn't replace was the pitman arm.

I guess I could look for a part number on it and do some cross referencing.

Rod

Notice it's not a K*** part number like the other suspension parts listed. K*** is a Moog part numbering system. My guess is that 383 pitman is not from a normal source (Moog, TRW, Perfect Circle, etc)

Check with www.rareparts.com to see if they repro this Pitman.

Interesting dilemma... How do you determine if your pitman arm is a 383 piece.

Then, do you buy the supposed repro arm or have yours rebuild.

I emailed rareparts for a quote to rebuild mine and will compare the 107 dollar price at classic industries to the rebuild cost.

As far as determining if mine is an original piece, I think that it is. I rebuilt the suspension 20 years ago with polygraphite stuff and it was pretty apparrent that everything was original pieces. The only thing I didn't replace was the pitman arm.

I guess I could look for a part number on it and do some cross referencing.

Rod

Same part number that Classic uses ( 20492 ) at Rare Parts here: http://shop.rareparts.com/smtp/shop...DODGE&imodel=0344|DART&iproduct=0049|STEERING, GEAR, PUMP & COMPONENTS

I'll assume Classic is just getting them from Rare Parts.

Just FYI - I paid $300 for my fast ratio steering box 20 years ago. It was cleaned up and had new seals installed.

Tried to install my new rare parts pitman arm for my 383-S Barracuda that has a factory fast ratio steering box.

It doesn't fit!

The splined hole is bigger than the original pitman arm. The new one just spins around the steering box output shaft. I called rare parts and they haven't heard of this problem before.

I will need to get the original one rebuilt or have a new one manufactured. Either way, it is fairly expensive.

Bummer!

-
Back