Fast Ratio steering Pitman and Idler arms

-

Stock1659

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 66 Formula S with fast ratio box. The idler arm has been replaced and sits higher then the original pitman arm. Are the Arms Different depending on the ratio? If so, Does anyone know where I can purchase an idler arm? I found out when trying to install a set of TTI headers.

Pitman and idler are same regular 24:1 or 16:1 fast ratio manual steering

was the one you took off and on stud mount to the K-member?

different aftermarket brands can be different castings. It’s a bummer, but it’s seems some of them are putting the center link in the wrong place (center link should be parallel)

Last edited:
Pitman and idler are same regular 24:1 or 16:1 fast ratio manual steering

was the one you took off and on stud mount to the K-member?Yes

different aftermarket brands can be different castings. It’s a bummer, but it’s seems some of there are putting the center link in the wrong place (center link should be parallel)
I agree guess I will modify the K frame where the idler arm mounts

2 sizes of pitman arm as well. although ive never tried it i'd guess the big spline pitman might fit on a small spline manual box and end up at a different height...
or it might just rattle about...this is a guess....
would the small one JUST fit on the end of the big spline box....? dunno.

my only experience is buying a NOS sector shaft that was mislabelled and didn't physically fit my steering box... cost of return.. prohibitive...more junk for the collection.

either way if it kinda worked the pitman arm would be in the wrong place and the centre link would no longer be parralel with the floor

16th of an inch difference in the size...

big spline boxes are usually power boxes, c body boxes etc but i think they may have confused things on the b or e or in the mid - late 70s .....its not may area really.

but you do need the correct pitman arm....

Other option... do you have the idler the correct way up/down and the centre link around the right way..... an idiot may have visited your car a long time in the past and left a trace ....
you would expect it to hit sump or headers but some accounting for the wrong link applied incorrectly may be necessary v8 and six differered i belive...

Dave

The fast ratio pitman is longer than the standard arm and normally does not fit any A body. Original T/A and AAR boxes were the same ratio as any steering box (15.7) with 2 changes. 1. It had shorter stops built into the box. This makes sense as the wheels turn more with the longer, specific arm. 2. The spline timing was unique, as it prevented a TA/AAR arm from being installed on any regular box. The factory never offered a longer idler, as the change in ackerman angle really isn't much of a concern in the real world.
The aftermarket fast arms have spline timing the same as any other pitman.

-
Back