Fastenal rant

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've seen on the board here that a few of you used Fastenal for freight shipments.
Very long story short, I have a pallet ready to ship a 4spd changeover and I've contacted them 3 times, left messages 3 times and no return call, walked into 2 different stores and gave all the shipping info and no follow up for a quote . Even went on the website and did as I was told by the 2nd store (again) for a freaking shipping quote!!! Wth. So.. just needed to rant and finally throw my hands up and give up on ever shipping with these idiots. And ideas?

I had similar results with them. Maybe give R and L shot. Thier trucks say they ship anything anywhere. Lol.

Last edited:
The seller of my 340 block (back east) left it off at his local store before we even got the quote. When I went online for the shipping quote, I was told Fastenal did not ship to California any longer.

After the block sat in the store for 2 or 3 months, I finally got the Fastenal shipping co-ordinator (female) to make an exception in my case and the block was finally shipped out to California for a reasonable sum.

I've seen on the board here that a few of you used Fastenal for freight shipments.
Very long story short, I have a pallet ready to ship a 4spd changeover and I've contacted them 3 times, left messages 3 times and no return call, walked into 2 different stores and gave all the shipping info and no follow up for a quote . Even went on the website and did as I was told by the 2nd store (again) for a freaking shipping quote!!! Wth. So.. just needed to rant and finally throw my hands up and give up on ever shipping with these idiots. And ideas?

Check your email. I've shipped with them a few times over the last year, all quotes are now emailed out and sometimes get caught by a spam filter. The local store wont be able to see the quote until after you have signed agreeing to it. Contrary to what the store may have told you, you have to fill out the quote request ONLINE, not via phone or in person. They use a third party logistics coordinator to perform all quotes.

3PL (Third Party Logistics) | Fastenal

Check your email. I've shipped with them a few times over the last year, all quotes are now emailed out and sometimes get caught by a spam filter. The local store wont be able to see the quote until after you have signed agreeing to it. Contrary to what the store may have told you, you have to fill out the quote request ONLINE, not via phone or in person. They use a third party logistics coordinator to perform all quotes.

3PL (Third Party Logistics) | Fastenal
Thanks, I actually did do just that. Filled it out online and got an email stating that they received my request for a quote
... that was June 1st

Thanks, I actually did do just that. Filled it out online and got an email stating that they received my request for a quote
... that was June 1st
June 1st, a Friday. They don't work over a weekend, takes 1-2 business days for a quote. Longest it ever took me was 3 days to get a quote back but it saved me some 300 in shipping versus UPS so it was worth the wait. Depending on what time you submitted it, they probably didn't get it until yesterday. It's not like a Fedex or UPS where you get an instant quote, they literally try to find you the cheapest rate through one of their contracted carriers. I'd give them another day.

Patience, Grasshopper. I had a couple issues with them also, had to call the main office a couple of times so that they could get their store managers in sinc. A bit frustrating but worked out in the end. Sold a fiberglass hood on this site to a member and shipped it from Chicago to New York. Had to package it up and use one of their pallets.

American way - myself included - we want top notch service and product at a low price

It's not about that... it's just service period! LOL
Well when their website clearly states "Please allow up to 2 businesses days to receive a quote" I don't think we can chalk that up to bad service or lack of service. You're still technically in day 2...

That said, I'm gonna pm you the email address for the shipping manager at 3rd party logistics who overseas the quotes.

Never had a Issue except sending to Cali, Ag restrictions PIA for the company. Used them dozens of times.

Fastenal is not in the freight business they are just trying to make use of their empty trucks making deliveries to their store so you get what you get

Gotta do it online for a quote.They get back within 24 hours.They will tell you closest location to drop. Hope It helps. They are the cheapest nationally. Good luck

Fastenal is not in the freight business they are just trying to make use of their empty trucks making deliveries to their store so you get what you get
That was never a question. I knew that they were only trying to fill trucks.
My ONLY beef waa the fact that they told me in person that it would be 24 hours to contact me for a quote. I knew it would likely be longer than that. But, what I failed to mention was that I was told by the manager in the store that he would put the request in. That was almost a week.
Anyway, this is beating a dead horse. Believe it or not , my girlfriend called the branch where I was going to initially ship from. She explained the situation and did mention that I was fuming ( not that it mattered, right?lol) she got a response in 3 hrs with a quote... so... all is well in shipping land... LOL

One problem with Fastenal is that most people in the stores are part time and don't stick around long so knowledge is lacking

Well when their website clearly states "Please allow up to 2 businesses days to receive a quote" I don't think we can chalk that up to bad service or lack of service. You're still technically in day 2...

That said, I'm gonna pm you the email address for the shipping manager at 3rd party logistics who overseas the quotes.
Here's what my email said. . 1 not 2 days...

Screenshot_20180605-204028.png

That was never a question. I knew that they were only trying to fill trucks.
My ONLY beef waa the fact that they told me in person that it would be 24 hours to contact me for a quote. I knew it would likely be longer than that. But, what I failed to mention was that I was told by the manager in the store that he would put the request in. That was almost a week.
Anyway, this is beating a dead horse. Believe it or not , my girlfriend called the branch where I was going to initially ship from. She explained the situation and did mention that I was fuming ( not that it mattered, right?lol) she got a response in 3 hrs with a quote... so... all is well in shipping land... LOL
Just noticed your in the Burg. Been dealing with Ricky at the derry street location he has it down.

-
Back