fastest way to strip paint off car

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Finish is not a real factor, I just want to strip clear coat and paint off so I can spray it with prime. Its. Its A beater so no big deal on surface smooithness
Sand it off with buffer and 60 grit?
Wire wheel on a grinder?
That flat grit wheel made for stripping rust?
Don't want to use messy chemicals.

If you prime over 60 grit it will look like butt. Primer offers little corrosion protection so even if the car is a beater, this idea won't help it any.

Just scuff the entire car with red scotch-brite or DA it with 180, mask and prime.

A DA with 80 grit would readily clean up anything left over from 60 on the buffer...
I have a big molded plastic wheel (9") for the buffer, with 3/4"dense foam on it (just and overgrown backing pad for a DA)... 60 grit on that takes paint fast without making too much heat.

Razor blade the whole car, not likely! Its a round 96 Breeze with. Huge trans leak. I'll try my wire wheel and see what it does just because I have it. This cars going to get donated, sold for $900 or scrapped so finish is....

Yeah, you can sand it with 60 on a buffer, but watch the heat. Unless it's not a big deal. Then spray with some kind of primer/filler. That way you can sand some of the sanding marks out. Either way, it's gonna take some time. A DA sander should take care of the heat issue. I used an electric one with a removable filter. Took filter off, then hooked up my shop vac to it and kept a lot of the dust down.

5 gallons of airplane stripper and a hot pressure washer ...lmao !

Then just wait for Cali EPA to show ! Eheheheheh...

If its a beater i m thinkin cheap and fast yeah? I agree with smooth out the rough spots. Scuff the rest and recoat it with some cheap paint. Throw some 22 s on it. Put a huge stereo in it and sell it to the neighbor kid. Lol.
Sorry. Half of that was true

You d be surprised what some of the new paints cost and how they spray. I paint everyday and usually don t get the chance to shoot a beater but I just did a clear flaking truck cap for my buddy at work. We featherd all the flaky spots out with 320 on a d.a. scuffed it with red scotchbrites and I sealed it real quick with cheaper primer sealer. Based it and cleared it. Whole process only took a couple hours and it looked really good.

Hot rod black from SEM looks like primer if you want the primer look. Pretty fair price and easy to spray.

Id Go Soda Blast as well, Its a better finish and wont damage your panels. Be sure to wash it a few times after it has been blasted to make sure all the Soda is diluted and gone.

if your going to scrap it then why bother? even if you sell it for 900, why not let the next owner deal with it ? that is unless you need to cover something up.

what if I just park it at the beach and haul a gas compressor with me. Suction sand blast gun.. Plenty of media. EZ clean up! That semi gloss black is what Im after as its black anyway so I wont have to shoot the jams...Rustoleum? I might even bust out my HF purple spray gun and shoot it in my front yard...Ghett-O!

if your going to scrap it then why bother? even if you sell it for 900, why not let the next owner deal with it ? that is unless you need to cover something up.
When else do you get an "empty canvas" for some auto paint refinishing? If I can get the paint all one shade of black, that'll motivate me to pull the trans and fix the convertor seal, then Ill ask $1500 Its really not a bad car, just ugly as hell and leaves a 6" ATF puddle everywhere I park it.

DA it with 180, scotch brite the hard to reach places, wipe it down with cheap reducer and shoot it.

semi black wrinkle finish, no need to sand.
better yet, rino liner and a roller.

Q: fastest way to strip paint off car

A: Let my ex wife or her sister drive it...
:axe:

ahh ok, i got ya. i thought you were going to try to get 900 with new paint, and thats a lot of work for 900...lol

When else do you get an "empty canvas" for some auto paint refinishing? If I can get the paint all one shade of black, that'll motivate me to pull the trans and fix the convertor seal, then Ill ask $1500 Its really not a bad car, just ugly as hell and leaves a 6" ATF puddle everywhere I park it.

Got a pressure washer? On my hood I used a sandblasting attachment with my pressure washer was like $40 from walmart im sure others have it. Peeled the paint off like butter. Because your using it with water overheating panels doesnt happen. Used $3 bags of silica sand from hardware store.

-
Back