Fatal street race claims 3 innocent lives

-
I use to do a lot of "go out of town" to a designated area, straight stretch about a 1/4 mile long. I felt it was safe, fun, and never mixed alcohol with it. But terrorizing the streets like a video game is a way different league......

I use to do a lot of "go out of town" to a designated area, straight stretch about a 1/4 mile long. I felt it was safe, fun, and never mixed alcohol with it. But terrorizing the streets like a video game is a way different league......

318,old school racing ,isn't taught any more... And learning from a video game,is scary sh*it...?
Just my thoughts..

This. I think most of us remember that spot that all the kids new about. It was right around a quarter mile. With spraypaint marking stuff. Guys would meet up there for grudge matches, or to race for fun. Test their new whatever. But it was always 10/20 mins out of town. On a rarely used road. And guys would be on each end watching for cops...and traffic. Was it super safe? No. If you rolled your car or something, ambulance might not make it there in time. But did it restrict the danger to people who knew what they were getting into going there? Absolutely.

A "street race" on the freeway in traffic... OK.

The two drivers are knuckleheads and have ZERO to do with running a 1/8 or 1/4 mile dig.

Street Outlaws doesn't have any effect on drag racing/street racing. If youngster are street racing and doing it stupid, maybe somebody should educate them. People have been doing it for years. The methods of meeting up to run have changed markedly in the last 30 years. No longer are a bunch of people overrunning the K-Mart, Scotties, etc parking lots.

Fast and Furious is a bigger danger to the public than SO...

I ran and drove many mid 9 second and 10 second cars on the street in the mid 80's. We drove some ridiculous deathtraps compared to the current crop of cars. :) Never heard of or saw anyone hurt/killed other than drivers during that time, but, we were also smart enough to not run with the street lined with people or at noon down main street... As someone else said, you decide to watch a "street race" from anywhere down track, you aren't very smart and far from an innocent bystander as some that have been killed are portrayed.

I did street race on a freeway a couple times. It was on a section of newly built un-open freeway. Never with traffic... that's fricken STUPID!

Too many idiots out there that have ZERO racers code. You lose, you pay... oops, they decide to pull a gun. That's why I quit, drug money and D-bags with weapons.

JMO and yours may differ. You are welcome to your opinion

A "street race" on the freeway in traffic... OK.

The two drivers are knuckleheads and have ZERO to do with running a 1/8 or 1/4 mile dig.

Street Outlaws doesn't have any effect on drag racing/street racing. If youngster are street racing and doing it stupid, maybe somebody should educate them. People have been doing it for years. The methods of meeting up to run have changed markedly in the last 30 years. No longer are a bunch of people overrunning the K-Mart, Scotties, etc parking lots.

Fast and Furious is a bigger danger to the public than SO...

I ran and drove many mid 9 second and 10 second cars on the street in the mid 80's. We drove some ridiculous deathtraps compared to the current crop of cars. :) Never heard of or saw anyone hurt/killed other than drivers during that time, but, we were also smart enough to not run with the street lined with people or at noon down main street... As someone else said, you decide to watch a "street race" from anywhere down track, you aren't very smart and far from an innocent bystander as some that have been killed are portrayed.

I did street race on a freeway a couple times. It was on a section of newly built un-open freeway. Never with traffic... that's fricken STUPID!

Too many idiots out there that have ZERO racers code. You lose, you pay... oops, they decide to pull a gun. That's why I quit, drug money and D-bags with weapons.

JMO and yours may differ. You are welcome to your opinion

Thank You,...Rob. You don't know how much I appreciate this post.... Have a good one....

They are dumb kids that are the ones doing ricer fly byes on the freeways

A street race is meeting at night in B.F.E putting money up, and making the race happen at 2 to 5am when everyone is asleep. I have no pain or feel bad for stupid people.

I call it thinning the Hurd .

For the people not involved, sorry for their loss

I don't like how the media calls everything street racing wnen it's not at all. If they want to see real races then they need to put in work and get in the secret network and see what a real race is .

They are dumb kids that are the ones doing ricer fly byes on the freeways

A street race is meeting at night in B.F.E putting money up, and making the race happen at 2 to 5am when everyone is asleep. I have no pain or feel bad for stupid people.

I call it thinning the Hurd .

For the people not involved, sorry for their loss

I don't like how the media calls everything street racing wnen it's not at all. If they want to see real races then they need to put in work and get in the secret network and see what a real race is .

Because media needs tantalizing front page news.. Good street racers make money,& don't end up in the head lines ......

this horseshit made national news and should set off warning bells for anyone with a conscience - 2 low performance drivers in high performance cars - if you know someone doing stupid **** like this, your conscience shouldn't allow you to keep your mouth shut - 3 people died here and 4 landed in the hospital with undoubtedly horrible injuries, not only could it have been someone you know, it could have been someone you love (we all know it's not isolated to California) - think about that for a second... THAT is full on scary BS. If you see it happening - report it... if you know people doing it - report them.. the life you save may be your son, your daughter, your own.. it happens.

Truly Sad for the victims of this and their families.

It's a Gamble Enough driving in normal traffic so take it to the track when you want to prove something.

I came out of motorcycle world where it's way worse. Sad to see this, but it's predictable.

This may have occurred during a street race, but if the posted speeds are accurate, they're not that far out of range of normal traffic on most interstates. I see someone hitting 90 damn near daily during my commutes.

And they wonder why people complained when they shut down KCIR (or any legit racing venue). Real men have timeslips to back it up, and you only get those at the track.

Modern day brainless punks, has nothing to do with street racing as we once knew it.

Exactly. We had specific low traffic areas outside the city we used at night. People at both ends watching for traffic and sometimes the cops would show up just to watch!

If that is considered street racing then we are all guilty.

But its just another reason to stop the after market parts for cars that "Summit racing" is fighting right now.

Yes check out their site , Soon you will not be able to get any after market parts for your car. It will be dealer only parts from 1990 and up. They want eliminate performance type cars unless you buy them new. $$$$$$$

I've never laid a dime on a "take 'em out of town" race. I don't gamble. All the racing I did was not a "crowd drawing" event. Me and the other guy would most likely have a passenger to say go, and it was in the "marked off spot". I still feel I could do this everyday and never hurt a soul. Common sense goes a long way, but some see all street racing the same....

^Settle down Paul Walker, just make sure you have better tires than BFG T/A... :roll:

Excuse me...............1st, I`ll never settle down even at 54 years old and 2nd, I keep it in the middle of the desert where it`s safe(r) not on city streets/freeways.............Again, sorry for the loss of innocent lives..........

They used to street race here back in the 80's. Then one day there was a crash and some people got hurt and the cops cracked down on street racing big time.

Back then, there wasn't a drag racing track for at least an hour, more like an hour and a half from here. Now we have the Route 66 track 30 minutes away, it's smarter to just pay the entry fee and race in a designated area where it is much safer - and you don't get any tickets...

We did see some good street racing back in the day... They would bring cars out on trailers between midnight and 2 AM with open headers and slicks , unload them, warm them up, run them, then load them up and GTFO before the cops showed up... A crowd on both sides of the street watching... :burnout:

I remember Karl. Union Grove was a long drive for us back then. Use to play a bit myself. Down Archer, Industrial Park on 67th & Harlem (If I recall), 75th & Lemont among others. That said, I realize we were pretty lucky to not have had more accidents. I stopped when I lost my best friend at the time. Still get choked up thinking about it. My daughters both have their learners permits now and it's scary. I continuously tell them that racing is for the track only. And know they'll do the right thing. It's all the other folks on the road the worries me.

Be well,
Pat

And that is why shows like street outlaws shouldn't be on TV. I have 6 kids....I worry enough with them behind the wheel as it is. Stuff like this makes me cringe.

Here we go again...blame it on a TV show!! I call BS on that argument.The only fault lies with the two idiots who chose to race in the wrong place. To bad it's usually the innocent that end up suffering. There have been street racing fatalities long before Street Outlaws and will be long after the public and the sponsors move on from shows like that.My condolences to those who died through no fault of their own.We should be starting a movement to find places for people to race in a safe environment instead of closing all the tracks for shopping malls.

Im not against street racing, my dad grew Up street racing, however if your going to race do it on a back road and have someone on both sides spotting for traffic. My dad and his buddies used to go out to a back road that no one lived on and hardly had any traffic. Its not full proof but a lot better than racing on the highway or through town, ive done a couple launches from a stop light and been going 80 or 90 in a 50 but thats very rare and im by myself on tge road

Well, there you go. Thanks Rob.
Hopefully they throw the book at him. And if you must go out in public, drive like a complete idiot, put innocent
people's lives in jepordy, be prepared to pay the full price.

Like I said, my wife will be going to the funeral tomorrow. An 18yr old boy, who just graduated high school, with his whole life in front of him, gone.A mother and father, brothers, sisters, friends all grieving.
For what ? Doesnt make sense.

Drive like a dick, be prepared to pay the full price.

Modern day brainless punks, has nothing to do with street racing as we once knew it.

"Street Racing" where exactly did this term come from ???? Honored Posters, please do educate Me...

It was dangerous in the past. It is even more dangerous now. I don't do it. I don't condone it. That's what drag strips are for.

I certainly hope those of you arguing in favor of it don't get hurt or hurt anyone else. Or worse.

-
Back