Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
I was sifting through some of my baskets of parts looking for the PS pump bracket when I found this short harness. I did not remove it when we disassembled the car, it was in a box in the trunk. anyone know what this is for? It's intact , but whatever it was connected to had it's plugs cut away. I hate it when people just start cutting stuff :banghead:

That would be your engine harness that goes to the alternator, electronic distributor and etc.....

I am not disagreeing with dragdak but I am a bit lost on your harness. I am just learning the wiring, but what I am not seeing is the piece for the engine harness that plugs directly into the bulkhead. There are three one to motor, one to lights and accessories, and one to wipers. None of these are cheap. The forward light for my 72 isn't even made new yet. Took me 6 months to find one with pigtails for fender top turn signals. Engine harness you can buy, new or used. Try to match everything up with what your car had. If you haven't gotten one, a laminated wiring diagram will help you. I have one taped to the table with all my parts at the shop. If I get there today I will send info on it.

It is the engine harness. Now trying to find out what the plugs that are cut off lead to. possibly the ignition box ( which im replacing with an HEI module and the heater/ac blower etc.....

Attachments

• hoe.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 344
Ummm the start of that sucker goes to the bullhead connector. Unless I am wrong it looks like it was cut at the under dash side. What does that harness look like?

Nothing is cut on the under dash harness. Are you running stock electic on your 74? If so could you pop off the air cleaner and send me a picture of the harness near the dizzy?

False alarm, the under hood harness I removed from the car is intact and has the section that runs from the alternator to the dizzy on it. The section I posted last night mus be from a truck or other vehicle that donated parts along the way. It's been snipped here and there, but not bad at all.

Attachments

• full h.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 372
  • engine end.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 376
I am running msd on 74, but I see you have found the correct part. That just did not look right. Big sucker on the end that plugs into bulkhead was what I was trying to find, from there it is easy to trace...

Today's job was to find our motor mounts in our parts boxes, beat the old rubber inserts out of them, test fit the new inserts, degrease, wirebrush and paint mounts and hardware. Maybe next weekend we can get the motor in the car...

Attachments

• mm.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 354
  • mmt.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 343
  • mmp.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 338
Do a quick mask job on the engine compartment and paint the K-member with black rustolem, just brushing it on will look way better than over-spray.

When we first did the bottom of the car, I prepped the K member and primed it with rustoleum. The motors on the firewall, the battery tray, radiator support, stock air cleaner housing and K member are going to be gloss black Rustoleum. When I look in there I want to see the E5 Rallye Red bay, the corporate blue engine block and black accessories.

Yeah, the overspray from the body paint and the engine bay paint makes the K frame look pink. It particularly is magnified by my iPhone camera
Going to make sure it's painted right an looking sharp. Red and black baby!

I just realized that your '14 year old' son that you started the thread with is now your 18 year old son. Man, time flies.

Everything has come together beautifully. Personally, I'd have to put some really shiny chrome or polished aluminum wheels on her to finish it off, but everything you've chosen so far seems to be spot on.

:prayer::prayer::prayer:

Thanks, he is a good kid. He is going to college locally and living at home so my Mopar buddy isn't going anywhere for a few years.

Here is the plan on the exterior fit & finish. We thought about doing something like pinstripes on the hood contours but lines of the hood have grown on us both. My son has actually stopped nagging me about throwing a scoop on it.

We are going with black sport mirrors and blacking out the egg crate part of the grille. The drip moldings, window moldings will stay stainless finish. Front and rear chrome bumpers ( custom brackets so a 72 rear tucks right in)

We are going with Warrior RTs from Summit for the chrome wheels.....

Thanks, he is a good kid. He is going to college locally and living at home so my Mopar buddy isn't going anywhere for a few years.

Here is the plan on the exterior fit & finish. We thought about doing something like pinstripes on the hood contours but lines of the hood have grown on us both. My son has actually stopped nagging me about throwing a scoop on it.

We are going with black sport mirrors and blacking out the egg crate part of the grille. The drip moldings, window moldings will stay stainless finish. Front and rear chrome bumpers ( custom brackets so a 72 rear tucks right in)

We are going with Warrior RTs from Summit for the chrome wheels.....

I gotta say I've liked each choice you guys have made. - And I was actually picturing your car (in my head) with that style of wheel. She's gonna be sweet!

Some of the last bits of paint I still need to do is the latch edge of the doors and the jambs with the vertical jamb that mates to it. A.D.H.D took over and I never got to them before the car went to paint. So now I need to deal with it. Did the passenger door tonight with SprayMax single stage just like the bay and trunk gutters. I'm happy with the results.
Need to do the rest on a nice day with car outside, my wife is not a fan of the paint fumes in the garage...:protest:

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 330
  • d2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 317
  • d3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 350
Looks good. Thats something that just moved way up on my to-do list since i now have new door seals. Old ones are so bad i was sure i would not be able to put back on. They do seal somewhat, and my car is outside... I'll have all the inners painted ahead, so when i shoot the outside its done.

Here are two pics of the edges in the morning light with the paint dry. Its a great match. :D

Anyone have an opinion on painting the inner face of the door itself? It's not rusted but it bugs me a little that it's the original brown metallic. I was considering giving the whole interior a coat of Rustoleum Rust reformer like my floors so its uniform before I do the sound insulation...It also would not be too much trouble to paint it with a coat of E5 single stage. And don't worry, I would mask the whole car if that much over-spray is going to happen..

Attachments

• ml.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 302
  • ml2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 299
-
Back