Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Jeeps are just fun.
Nothing like throwing the doors and top off.

Jeeps are just fun.
Nothing like throwing the doors and top off.

Yes very cool. We got him the wrangler in September, but he has had the top off on a few warm days. My wife and I have had it out a few times too. It's a blast!

I stopped by the shop today and it was nice to run my hand over the filler work that I did over my weld-in rust repair. It is straight and smooth.

They are using Misty as a fill in job when techs have a few free hours here and there. That's fine with us...

Attachments

• driver door.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 707
Well considering he bashed the Honda into the nanny's car in the driveway there will be no jeep in his future anytime soon. He had his actual license 5 days. I am just glad he wasn't in the Dart!

More work in progress at the body shop:glasses7:

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 683
  • photo 2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 647
  • photo 1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 688
stopped by the shop today to size up the idea of using a 70 style tail panel stripe on my Duster. Looks like the idea is a good one, but I'll need to have the stripe remade to be slightly longer on the bottom and extended to the corner and cut out for the tail light assembly. It's also really nice to see that dent on the drivers side rocker finally repaired....

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 644
  • photo (1).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 628
  • photo (2).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 626
I agree, the Duster shouldn't be the only mode of transport.

Since it is COLD and sometimes we are up to our ears in snow, I had bought the kids a Mazda as a beater car two years ago, I think.

Both our cars are going off the road as of Oct 31st.

So during the summer, when it is cruddy our or they are going someplace not so nice like mountain biking, they take the beater ...it is funny, when you have worked on a car for long periods, the body doesn't want to put the car in harms way. Life and experience teaches is that..

We should almost have our own section...father / son / daughter rebuilds :)

Ian

More progress pictures on the body work!
They are doing a nice job on getting the body lines right! She's looking good!

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 598
  • photo 4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 595
  • photo 3.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 588
  • photo 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 600
  • photo 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 587
  • photo.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 599
I don't have a window in my office at work, so over my pc screen I have a few snap shots of my family and printout a 70 Duster that is not long out of paint with it's new stripes on.

We have decided to close up the holes in the fenders and tail panel that are for the pot metal emblems and are going with the 70 style decal badging. As I've said before, we love the look of the E5 Rallye Red paint with black 71 style striping, similar to the Duster in my wall pic.

Thanks to Challengergary for getting me what stripes I wanted, even though a few times I told him what I wanted and it actually wasn't what I wanted. The guy has the patience of a saint.

It's hard to believe that by the end of the month Misty will be back home painted and striped up!:happy1::glasses7:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 591
This week the last of over 2 dozen metal patches or replacement panels on this project. The last one is the a patch that forms the rear end cap of the passenger side inner rocker panel.

The shop is working on the last major panel getting body work this week. Next, she gets sanded down and gets a coat of 2K primer...:D

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 564
  • photo 2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 579
Sorted out some parts today. Here is the flex plate I have. As I understand it, this flex plate is correct for my 318 and stock high stall torque converter.

I'm wondering what thread lock to to use on bolts to fasten it to the crank, also what torque specification?

I also need to find out what bolts to use to bolt the flex plate to the converter.

Wondering if and where I can get a bolt set to bolt the 904 housing to the 318...

And while I'm at it, just want to make sure these are spool type motor mounts and a suggestion as to where to get new ones..

Thanks!

Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• mm.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 535
  • close up fp (1).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 553
  • flexplate.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 565
Use red on those nuts...flexplate to crankshaft - 55 pounds..

The bolts are special...they are in the flexplate...couldn't find them in ns so made mine...jegs sells them.. use very high quality..

the mounts don't look like mine so they must be...

ian..

I think pretty much any parts store will carry the mounts. You can change the whole thing or just the metal cans with the rubber in them

Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright!
The body work is done. Looks like this week she'll get sanded down and primed...

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 523
  • photo 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 491
  • photo 3.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 514
Just read through every post on this thread , My son and I just started on his 74 Duster and the progress you've made so far is an inspiration . Keep up the good work . Rich

Just read through every post on this thread , My son and I just started on his 74 Duster and the progress you've made so far is an inspiration . Keep up the good work . Rich

Thanks Rich,

It's weird, My son is 17 now and driving a brand new Jeep Wrangler. From the beginning he was the driving force behind the project. I think in many ways he sees how much I love the car and how it provides a path for me back to a real carefree time in my life. He enjoys being with me more when I'm more relaxed and just wrenching or whacking on the car with some other tool. He is most definitely the quality control officer on the project. He is a very literal kid so I need to be very specific about what I expect as it relates to whatever part of the car we are working on. He is very aware of me getting disappointed if something does not go as planned, so I keep everything real straight forward and down the middle of the fairway so to speak.

I love talking with him daily about the car and what the plan is for the week ahead. He's going a little crazy due to the car being at the body shop right now. Every day I get "when are they going to finish and when can we go pick her up?"

Anyway, it's an awesome thing to do with your kids. Some time I check out some of the builds other members do and I feel like what we're doing is so remedial. But we both love it so much my embarrassment only lasts a few minutes and we keep working away....

Good Luck with the Duster!

Don't sell yourself short by calling the work you and your family have done "remedial" ... remedial is the riveted on crap you pulled off the car when you started . You guy's will be plenty proud when you get Misty on the road where she belongs.

I look at it like this. My teenagers have the attention span of a gnat. Any real expectation of them sticking to it was unrealistic for me. I have encountered a million turns in my projects and I fully expect them at this point. A true novice. I am not even sure I can remember from one part to the next. I will tell you that after 4 trips to the box and the stuff I have been through I have to agree to the relaxing part.....even if I get things wrong. Keep up the good work.

My daughter, yes but not my son... He is now teaching me about wiring.. no matter what we were working on, we had fun... My daughter likes car show, not so much for my son so they do different things..

any time spent with your kids is time well spent...

My son Aaron just sent me this pic of Misty that he took over 2 years ago prior to us dismantling her for repair and restoration. That driver side fender was crazy looking.

Heard that not too much progress is being made on her this week at the paint shop...

I'll go check her out on Saturday.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 465
So while we're waiting to get Misty back from the paint shop, I'm thinking about what to do first when we get her home. She is a body on suspension with a power steering box.
I'm wondering what to do first. Gas tank and lines? Brake lines, booster and master cylinder? Wiring harness? Set the motor and transmission? I have most of the parts, what's the best way to go?

-
Back