Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Have a friend I grew up with that still has his 70 Duster and it has Craigers on it. I always thought the chrome really made the red pop!
Have you considered headers? When I put mine on with 3" Flowmasters it made a noticeable difference. Installed the multi layer metal gaskets and have not had a leak.

We are pretty much decided that we are going with Summit Warrior R/Ts. They are a knock off of an expensive Billet Specialty wheel.

I agree with your thought about the chrome looking great with the E5 Rallye Red. Going to go with chrome bumpers too.
We are going for a real stock-ish look under the hood, so I have sworn off the idea of headers all together. I had a friend back in the day who had headers on his dart that would catch the lip of driveways etc, etc... Our motor is a nice mild build 318. It's got stock valve covers and is painted corporate blue. I'm going to paint the performer intake blue as well to help promoter the appearance of stock as well. And to help hide the intake we will use a stock snorkel air cleaner off a 4 barrel 360 Plymouth Fury. It looks a lot like the 318 2 Barrel air cleaner housing just a little bigger. Going to put extra holes in the housing out of sight in the back to help get more air in there.

Attachments

• summit rt.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 488
  • motor.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 483
I happen to see this stock cluster on a build thread of a guy who lives one town over from me.
We are painting the dash frame gloss back with a black reproduction dash pad.
I am not a fan of the woodgrain, and I think if some care is given during the refinishing process it could be great alternative for all of the visible plastic on the dash.

Attachments

• black cluster.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 487
I happen to see this stock cluster on a build thread of a guy who lives one town over from me.
I am not a fan of the woodgrain, and I think if some care is given during the refinishing process it could be great alternative for all of the visible plastic on the dash.

Sure would!!!
Your car is looking real nice.

Got the dash frame blasted and painted base/clear gloss black. It's going to look good with the black dash pad and the deep charcoal grey bezels in this red car....:burnout:

Attachments

• dash frame.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 476
Nice progress, DD! You might want to consider ditching the Holley for a ThermoQuad andd stock 340 manifold, which would certainly look more 'stock' than the Holley, and probably get better mileage too (and would likely out-perform it at the same time)

I guess the iron intake would look more stock, but I gotta draw the line somewhere. I'll paint the performer and stay with the simpler (to me) Holley.
After the air cleaner assembly, hoses, wires, power steering and AC paraphernalia we'll be OK.

Here is a pic I took around Christmas when I had the car outside. We have Spring fever.....

Attachments

• IMG_2584.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 437
Since I couldn't test fit the bezels at the paint shop, there was some bondo and glaze that needed to be cleaned out of the bezel mounting holes. Since we wanted to use 71 style stripes on the car, we knew we would have to cut a radius from the top edge of the tail stripe to meet the bezels. We did it today and we're very happy with the results

View attachment image-1871812856.jpg

My son was able to clean up the battery tray and the wiper motor as well as the pivots and linkage. Need to get some heat shrink and some miscellaneous hardware to get all the stuff bolted back on the firewall so we can get the motor in. Also need to paint the performer intake corporate blue before the motor goes in.

Just for the hell of it we set on of our grilled in place so we could see what it may look like....

View attachment image-1723249005.jpg

Was actually thinking about you guys earlier and clicked in to find the updates. Good to see you're working at it. Not quite warm enough here yet for any progress on mine.

Was actually thinking about you guys earlier and clicked in to find the updates. Good to see you're working at it. Not quite warm enough here yet for any progress on mine.

There was a chill in the air but the sun was out and we had to do something....
It takes a lot for this guy to be in long sleeves when the sun is out!

Attachments

• aaron (1).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 407
Pic in 433 looks like you drove down the driveway and it all fell out! Looking great.

Yeah it looks funny as hell! One of my buddies said the same thing when I posted that pic on facebook.

We spread out the Frankenstein project heater/AC box pieces parts, and finally sifted through the rest of the stuff in this box. I can tell you how many times I moved this box, emptied it then refilled it with miscellaneous crap. It was in the trunk when we adopted the car. It is in many pictures in this thread, in fact the very first one. It was sitting on the blown motor!

After today the box is in the trash can and I'm proud to say that box is a part of the project no more!!!!

Attachments

• dum.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 403
I only use an iphone camera, but in person the E5 always looks like a fire engine red in sun.
In the right light it can get a little more orange. No matter what the lighting, I love seeing this color every day in the garage....

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 384
You should cut the side out of that box and frame it for on the garage wall...

The sun was nice today. I was out back chainsawing and and a little splitting. cleaned up part of the wood pile. Trying to get some of the yard work done, so when it does warm up i can work on the car.

I only use an iphone camera, but in person the E5 always looks like a fire engine red in sun.
In the right light it can get a little more orange. No matter what the lighting, I love seeing this color every day in the garage....

Agreed! My Li'l Red Minx was E5 and it tended to have an orange tint in the longer sun hours of the day.
Everytime you post a pic of that beauty in makes me miss my minx all the more.
Good to see you back at it. Still too chilly here yet, but I have my motor and TQ to play with, so's I don't go completely nuts!

Still gathering a little of this and a little of that to get the motor in here.....
Wiper motor, linkage, battery tray and heater box next on the list.

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 356
A little something every day. I'm not a hardcore gear head like a lot FABO dudes, But I have always been able to take stuff apart and put it back together....

Attachments

• up.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 329
  • p13.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 404
I think they Discontinued Summit Warrior RT's...
This must be the universe's way of letting me know Misty is supposed to sit on Rallye wheels.
I'll be on the lookout for a pair of Rallye's that are similar in size to the Police wheels on her back axle now..
I'd like to run 245/60-15's on the back, But as I ran back in the day on my Barracuda I would be perfectly happy with 245/60-14's

Attachments

• rear.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 336
  • front.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 350
What size ralley are you looking for ?

Well, first I need large bolt pattern wheels. When I was young and a little more ignorant as I happen to be now, I stuffed 245/60's on stock Rallye's...
All the tire guys at places like Firestone told me it couldn't/shouldn't be done, but of course I knew better. They looked cool on my Barracuda...

I'd be happy with 14 or 15 by 7"

I don't know what the specs of the police wheels are except of course they are 15's

I lime the way the car sits with this wheel tire combo, and I am keeping in mind the is no motor weight on the torsion bars..

Attachments

• police wheel.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 346
  • right rear.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 325
-
Back