Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Anyone know where I can get a bendable spring covered brake line I can use across my firewall? I want to make my own if I can.

EDIT: I just figured out the spring wrap is sold seperatly, DUH! going to get the stuff from inline tube...

I love coming home and seeing a box with stuff in it for our project. I ordered the Transgo shift kit ( for street use ) from Summit.

I don't know anything about the 904 transmission, but I didn't know how to weld sheet metal when we began this project either. The transmission was from a running 73 Swinger. I know the guy and I trust him when he says it ran great.

I'm planning to invert the trans and follow the directions. I understand there is a band adjustment step as part of the installation process. I would appreciate any suggestions on doing other stuff that a novice can handle while I'm at it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• transgo.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 426
Installing that kit is probably more 'complex' than rebuilding the rest of it. I did my 904 mostly from the 727 you tube videos. I did hook up with a local transmision guy to compress the springs and change the disks -and a few pointers. You might want to do at least a tail shaft seal.

When adjusting the band, tighter is not better. It needs to completely disengage to shift cleanly. The instructions in the shift kit should be adequate

I love coming home and seeing a box with stuff in it for our project. I ordered the Transgo shift kit ( for street use ) from Summit.

I don't know anything about the 904 transmission, but I didn't know how to weld sheet metal when we began this project either. The transmission was from a running 73 Swinger. I know the guy and I trust him when he says it ran great.

I'm planning to invert the trans and follow the directions. I understand there is a band adjustment step as part of the installation process. I would appreciate any suggestions on doing other stuff that a novice can handle while I'm at it.

Thanks!

A member did the TF-3 kit in a 904 not too long ago. Check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=310293

I took a look through it and decided I'm definitely just buying one from CRT haha.

I'm sure the kit won't be a problem.

On another note, I was able to get the heat riser holes in my totally awesome 340 passenger manifold welded closed today...

View attachment 1714813915

Attachments

• weld.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 415
This book will tell you alot of info on a auto trans.
Everything from rebuilding to linkage adjustment.
I have no auto's only stick shifts.
I will send you a pm.

WxJyVX.jpg

Why did you weld the heat riser up, was it missing?

Dude, I admire your desire to just go in and do it. I have been doing everything at my buddy's shop. When I get the look of a chimpanzee who is struggling with a puzzle he stops what he is doing and helps me. I felt accomplished when I made a bracket the other day to hang my overflow bottle....you must feel like you are kicking names and taking ***!

Our project is a total shade tree thing. I am in awe of most of the stuff guys on this forum produce. I've said it before, a lot of the projects look like they are space craft being assembled in a clean room. Ours happens in half of a 20 x 20 attached garage or if it's nice, in the driveway. I have and have never had a budget for this project. If there are a few bucks to spend, we spend very cautiously.
This thing is therapy to me. I am totally enjoying the process, where my son is impatient. He wants to take it to cruise events with me. I am perfectly content enjoying the journey to getting the car closer to complete....

I know what you saying, I rebuilt the one in my old flat head Willy, and sometimes on deceleration, the sob will flap open, close, open close.
Most likely nobody but me can hear it but I like my old rides as nice as the new ones.
Little things like that will can drive you crazy.

Shade tree, no way, you are doing it right.
Perfection takes time.
Anything can be fixed, here is a pic of my old jeep before I restored it.

1000938qq.jpg

Old pic, but it just takes work.
At one time I almost gave up on it, low funds etc, but I at least gave the old girl a couple hours a week. Took me 3 years to do it.

1002141n.jpg

I forget, but some of the guys come to big shows and bring the newly chromed product and you give them your cores. I can go back to my notes, but someone on here has to know.

Each step is one less in front of you!

Yes Sir!
Your gift of those manifolds was a big step! Got the heat riser holes welded up last week.
Even if I found a set with an intact heat riser, I would hove taken it out and welded up the holes. I had a heat riser tick haunt me on my Barracuda when I was a kid...

I have original big block manifolds on my dart and I did the same thing, removed it and welded the hole. These are mostly summer rides anyhow and they get to temp pretty fast. Keep up the good work!

A while back I posted a pic of what remains of the build sheet for our Duster.
We have decided to keep a running list of parts we have gathered from others and to create a "Build Sheet" for this iteration of our '74 Duster. More than likely I will create it on XL and stick a copy between the metal frame and the foam of the back seat.

Here is a partial list of how that sheet will read:

Roller Body: Ernie from Manalapan, NJ
Front floor pans: JC Whitney
Hood: Oldmanmopar, Eastern Pennsylvania
Grills and headlight Bezels: Oldmanmopar, Eastern Pennsylvania
Replacement front Fenders: Butch from Hazlet, NJ
Mild build '74 318 complete: Cole McAllister, Straightline Performance, Central Pennsylvania
Complete 904 Transmission: Oldmanmopar, Eastern Pennsylvania
Replacement cowl section: Physixx, Edison, NJ
Replacement deck lid: Physixx, Edison, NJ
Bench seat: Toddkozak, Central Pennsylvania
Replacement tail light bezels: Dustya, California
Replacement heat/AC box: Whitepunkonnitro, Tennessee
Front valance: 68bee, Long Island, New York
Replacement quarter skins: Goodmark
Stripe kit: Challengergary
Firewall gasket kit: Schumacher Creative Services
340 exhaust manifolds: 69conv, a gift from Wayne in memoriam of his dad Duane

Thank you for your contributions! To be continued....

Attachments

• build sheet.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 393
-
Back