Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
yo..things looking great ! In the engine bay..we put things (like the portioning valve) where they fit rather than where the were..headers buggered up a lot of things..

"You can get the bushings in a pack of 10 from summit"

We have lost a bushing for the wiper asssembly..is this what you are referring to ?

Thanks
Ian.

Yes. There are 4 needed for the linkage. You can get these in HELP packets, but I think they give you 2 of these with a bunch of others you cant use. I see Summit raised their price, but still not a bad deal to have some spares.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-118-301

I found the wiper arm bushings at Pep Boys in the help section. Advance Auto Parts has a pack that includes a bunch of other stuff you don't need for $10 but Pep Boys has the 2-pack of only the ones you want for just $3 or $4. After ruining one, I figured out to use a socket (as in socket wrench) and channel-lock pliers to press the bushing into the wiper arm before pressing the arms together.

Thanks for all the wisdom. Not until yesterday did I have all the wiper linkage pieces on the workbench where I could grasp how to do it. The picture I found made it clear.

The steering column mod and rebuild makes sense to me as to how it goes back together.

As it relates to the project as a whole, I know where and how the big stuff goes, but most of the detail is a mystery since parts were in cardboard boxes in the trunk or missing all together when we bought Misty.

Thanks again for the help and encouragement form everyone!

Here is a pic to heighten Dartn440's anxiety showing the car and the "Farm Tools" on the wall to the right:D

Attachments

• m.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 496
I found the wiper arm bushings at Pep Boys in the help section. Advance Auto Parts has a pack that includes a bunch of other stuff you don't need for $10 but Pep Boys has the 2-pack of only the ones you want for just $3 or $4. After ruining one, I figured out to use a socket (as in socket wrench) and channel-lock pliers to press the bushing into the wiper arm before pressing the arms together.

Just went into a NAPA..they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about...

Just went into a NAPA..they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about...

That is really funny, on the bushings for my old power wagon, (they take the same as a duster), the old guy grabbed a paper catalog and went to the back came back with two boxes of them.

I'll bet the old guy was a lifer, knew the store and its stock, and went back there and got you what you needed.

The new stores with the "help" isle are a sad replacement for good ole customer service.

Their best 'mopar guy" now works close to me in a truck shop...companies don't give a fu*k anymore, buy what we stock or screw off...man, I hate this new business model..

And this is what really burns my butt...these could be popped into an envelope and shipped for a couple of bucks...because the value is below 80bucks, there is NO duty...tax would be 1.50...someone is making money...

Can you buy these in Canada anywhere ?

View attachment summet.jpg

Went to my local Auto Value a few weeks ago. The 3 guys I knew that had worked there for at least 15 years ago were gone. The new guys could not look up belts for a lawn mower! Went to O'Rielies and the General Manager could not cross the air filter to a Wix. It was an original Snapper. Went home and did it on my computer

And this is what really burns my butt...these could be popped into an envelope and shipped for a couple of bucks...because the value is below 80bucks, there is NO duty...tax would be 1.50...someone is making money...

Can you buy these in Canada anywhere ?

Found them on Carquest website and i see the have stores in NS

I pressed on my grease fittings, bushings and pivot seals.
I used two nut drivers to spread the seals lubed with dish soap. then just eased it on to the pivot and pushed the seal on with an empty water bottle.

I want to pre-assemble the linkage. I can't tell from this picture I borrowed where the linkage arm with the offset goes. I didnt have the car out of the garage so I didn't crawl in to see if it was obvious...

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• seal on.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 395
  • soda bottle.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 435
  • spread larger nut driver.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 396
  • spread with small nut driver.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 383
  • unspread.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Pivot_Links.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 386
I have the linkage from my car sitting on the garage floor. I'll take as s many pics as you need tomorrow.

Cley

Going to post a mock up of how I'm putting the linkage in.
I already pushed the pivots in through the cowl. they are just hanging for now, don't want to pull them out and risk tearing the new seals. What a pain....

from the archives...

Attachments

• 2013-07-05 12.29.47.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 2013-06-30 15.11.36.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 397
  • 2013-06-30 10.57.58.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 415
I had the socket/channel lock press deal right, The rest was bass-ackwards..lol
Thanks Keith your pics set me straight

Attachments

• bass ackward.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 340
Complete, Thanks for the help:banghead:

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 361
  • under.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 375
  • out.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 374
So, before the dash is in...
Did you have a generous piece of rope caulk around the shaft where it goes in the cowl? That is the most important part of getting them sealed. In my opinion the white foam 'gasket' is pretty much useless.

So, before the dash is in...
Did you have a generous piece of rope caulk around the shaft where it goes in the cowl? That is the most important part of getting them sealed. In my opinion the white foam 'gasket' is pretty much useless.

Not in the way of the dash going in at all as far as I can see. I got my kit from Schumacher and it came with butyl calk strips to seal the shaft on the inside but over the foam gaskets.

Attachments

• link.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 356
  • motor.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 355
  • out.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 391
Wasnt suggesting it would be in the way. Just saying you want to be sure you are done the seals and anything else under there before puting the dash back on. I did not put the grease fittings on originally. Added them after the dash, so had to redo my seals and it was not fun.. i'd rather re-do it 5 times with the dash off than once later. The butyl strips are what i was refering to. They are the real seal between the pivot body and the cowl. Take a good look at the seam seal anywhere there are metal flanges. I am still chasing leaks. Ive got it down to one little dribble from somewhere above the gas pedal.

Our plan is to put the column back in, put the firewall wiring harness connector and harness back in and coil it up and put the engine compartment harness back in, then put the motor in.

Hoping to leave the dash frame out until the heat/AC box is done before the dash frame goes in.

I can't believe the tool rental place I rented an engine hoist from to unload my ill fated 360 4 year ago is no longer in business. Not in my budget to buy one and definitely no space to keep it if I did.
Nobody rents them anymore it seems....
If anyone in central NJ has a hoist I can borrow for a weekend in mid July, please let me know.

Thanks!

Any chance you are coming out to Carlisle? I could lone you mine. I could get it back when i take my daughter back to college.

I can't believe the tool rental place I rented an engine hoist from to unload my ill fated 360 4 year ago is no longer in business.

Thanks!

I understand..

Boy, that is more common than you think...services that were once available are drying up..I talked to a tool rental guy the other day and he says people under a certain don't rent..or do anything as far as we can tell.

We we did our car, there wasn't a company that could do springs within a hour and half drive..

..and trying to find dorman bushings are a nightmare...I am not ready to spend twice their value for shipping..yet....

Any chance you are coming out to Carlisle? I could lone you mine. I could get it back when i take my daughter back to college.

Man, I wish, hoping to have time and cash to get out to Carlisle..
Thanks for the offer Keith!

-
Back