Favorite car movie?

-
Tarr - Thunder Road... That was a great one that I had forgotten about.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a local farmer one day. I had heard from other locals that this man used to run moonshine from middle Georgia up into Tennessee; and paid off the law all along the way. So one day I asked him - Albert, I hear that you used to take frequent trips to TN, and that you had a lot of sherrifs on the payroll? He just looked at me, smiled, and said - "they never did pay them boys enough".

I've never forgotten that conversation.
C

VANISHING POINT, (the origional) my favorite all time police chase movie. Ever since i saw that movie ive always wanted a 70 challenger rt with a 440 pistol grip 4 speed

Gotta love the movie Hot Rod. The drag racing scenes were filmed at Fremont Raceway, which has been gone for 20 years now. Same goes for More American Graffiti. All of the drag racing scenes in that one are at Fremont also. Damn, I miss that drag strip.

American Graffiti part one, 2 is ehhh ok

I agree the movie is lame. The only reason I like it is for the nostalgic look at Fremont Raceway. Hot Rod is a poorly made movie, too. A lot of car movies aren't very well done. The main reason to watch them is for the cars.

Two Lane Blacktop is a weird movie that's actually very depressing, but the cars are great.

American Graffiti and Dazed and Confused (remember the duster's trunk transformed to a cooler full of beer?) AWESOME!

Anybody remember seeing a cheezy movie made in 1970, can't remember the name but it was something stupid about birds? That funny looking chick who played Olive Oyl in Popye was in it, she drove a very cool 1970 Hemi Orange Roadrunner with an Air grabber hood, pistol grip 4-speed and Cragars. Several cool Mopar cop cars, a really neat 1970 Gremlin with a V-8 and Cragars (also driven by a chick), and a 1970 SS Camaro, also with Cragar rims. All these cars were thrashed very hard! My favorite part is when the chick flips opens up the Air Grabber, then thrashes through the gears with her racing gloves!! Oh yea, the license plate on the Gremlin said "BRDSHIT"

My favorite:

CHRISTINE

Then in no order:

American Graffitti
More Graffitti
Blues Brothers
(original) Gone in 60 Seconds
Crazy Larry Dirty Mary
The Wraith
Smokey & the Bandit
Maximum Overdrive
Heart Like a Wheel
Six Pack
Vanishing Point (both the original and the re-make)

I would say in chronological order: Vanishing Point, but I really hated to see them flatten the car.
I really like Gibsons ride in Mad Max. By the way any thought to how they electricly switched the blower and would it have really opperated with the blower at a stand still? Or just Hollywood 'magic"?
Andrew

Someone mentioned this movie, but I think it deserves another mention.

It has TONS of footage of this doctor driving a (supposedly) '68 Hemi Barracuda Super Stock car as his daily driver. He's chasing a guy in a big G.M. car (Eldorado or Toronado; can't remember which) who runs down women pedestrians.... and he had the misfortune to run down this doctor's wife. Big mistake; the doc has a 426 Super Stock motor to do his chasing with... LOL!

I think this car actually had a Hemi in it (4-speed car) because the sound quality was excellent and it SOUNDED exactly like a Hemi!

At one point, in traffic, waiting at a light, he sets the line-lock and does a burnout in full view of a cop who's in another lane and can't get to him to arrest him...
This guy is living my dream... LOL!

The door gets ripped off the 'Cuda in an accident. When the forensic cops examinie it, they find the decal from Ma Mopar that said, "This vehicle is for use in supervised acceleration trials, and should not be street driven."

Actually, I think that admonition was in the glove compartment of those '68 Super Stockers, but it was very cool to hear it, nonetheless.

I don't think it was a "real" Hemi 'Cuda because at one point you can see the top of the battery under the hood. Those cars didn't have a battery up front, as you no doubt know...

But the SOUNDS of that engine (well-recorded) are worth the price of admission!

Rent it.... if you can find it. It wasn't a real popular movie. :(

I bought a copy at Amazon, just for the delicious sounds of that Hemi...

"Highwaymen." You'll like it!!!

Gotta love the movie Hot Rod. The drag racing scenes were filmed at Fremont Raceway, which has been gone for 20 years now. Same goes for More American Graffiti. All of the drag racing scenes in that one are at Fremont also. Damn, I miss that drag strip.

Hot Rod movie is cool, I first watched it as a kid and have always wanted a primer 41 WIllys ever since. I had the chance earlier this year to go to the same town where muns root beer and the hot rod hall of fame was in Calistoga? and again over at the old Lambert bridge some where around Sonoma County i believe.

First Hot Rod movie, one of my first cars was a 62 vette cause of this movie.

HotRodstoHell79728DVDFLT.jpg

-
Back