FBO Ignition

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Anyone using the FBO ignition system on their cars. I'm thinking of switching from my orange box and having my dist. phased in by them.
How does your's work?

I put it on my car and it works great. Yes you can do it yourself for less money but I do not think what he charges is bad. I ordered it because when I got my car together last year there was only about two weeks left to drive it before it was time to put it away for winter and I did not want to spend that time experimenting on what timing would work best. I put it in,set it to his specs and it works very well.

Yes! Call Don and talk to him. I sent my distributor and he rebuilt it, put the right curve in it based on my combo and gave me a new box and coil. The best $200 I've spent on my engine. I went through 2 MSD systems that failed and I'm never going back. He also will give you a book on tuning and is very helpful with any problems, unlike some kid at summit. I've also bought his rocker arm kit.

I've got the recurve, box and coil too and they do work great. Don can be a "challenge" to communicate with on the phone sometimes (better talker than listener) but seems to know his stuff. After a season of street driving I lightened one of the advance springs that he put it. He had it set where mechanical advance didn't start till around 2200 with full in by 3400. Now it starts at around 1200 and is all in by 2200. Better respose from a dead stop.

In a word, "Excellent!"

I think it's been about 5 years and a running strong, everyday useage.

I bought 2 distributors and 1 complete ignition kit from Don. Everything was good except 1 distributor where he had the pick up at about .100 and on Dyno day it wouldn't fire off. Brian at IMM engines Quickly found the problem and it fired off Immediatly. There is also a VERY funny story behind a spark plug being left out when spark was checked again.........I will leave it at that Brian!!! Still laughing when I see it in my mind........haaaaaaaaaaaa

I've had mine for about 4 years now, distributor was all good with zero issues.

The engine they did... we wont go there.

Absolutely the best stuff. Ran it for 4 years or so on the cop car.Daily driver use.Carry a spare ballast of course.

I've had mine for about 4 years now, distributor was all good with zero issues.

The engine they did... we wont go there.

I could tell you some stories about Don,but Ive been behind the curtain lol.

I purchased his kit except for the distributor and haven't regretted it at all. The only reason I didn't get a distributor was that I had a brand new MP one.

I can imagine, I think he's a victim of his own success mostly. Got too busy for a one man operation.

Mistakes happen but I wish I could have got more help after the cash I spent.

I can imagine, I think he's a victim of his own success mostly. Got too busy for a one man operation.

Mistakes happen but I wish I could have got more help after the cash I spent.
Well hes a victim but I think its more of overreaching lol,as dirty Harry said,"a mans got to know his limitations".

Gotcha, but it seems I've learned my lessons the hard way in finding "THAT" guy most everytime it came to working on my car.

It's I wonder I haven't thrown the towel in yet.

Got his whole slant six ignition set-up. Told him what I wanted the car to do (street cruiser), and it's just what I asked for. Sent him my old distributor for the rebuild/recurve. Another advantage over the MSD is that a stock box can be substituted in a pinch. I had the center contact break off the rotor, but that kind of thing happens. Car still ran without the contact, sort of. Got me home.

-
Back