• FBO

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • other and tell me what

Votes: 29 15.3%

• Total voters
-
I run:

my 73 dart, stock 318 2bbl, stock ignition
74 cuda, stock 360 4bbl, stock distributor with orange box & stock replacement coil.
70 challenger, midly modified 440, msd 6al, blaster coil, stock MP distributor.
68 300, stock 440, MP kit, (orange box)Accel coil.
66 newport, stock 383 2bbl, Pertonix Ignitor II with matching coil.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. You do run a ballast resitor with the FBO system. MSD makes/supplies the ballist resitor for the FBO ignition kit. :salute:

Ok then...thats just one more part to fail in using that system...

I use to run Mallory Unilites and HyFires back in the 80's but had consistent problems with the pickup/eye burning out and at $70-$80/pop, I couldn't afford to continue on.

Good information! I've been running the MP or stock distributors, MSD Blaster 2 coils and Mallory Hy-Fire boxes. I have no experience with the Mallory distributors, hence my question in my last post. I do know that they now offer a magnetic pickup distributor for the Mopar S/B.

My ignition experiences;

Mallory hi fire.Lasted a month.Crap.
Orange box.Ran it for a day.Paled in comparison to the fbo.
Stock mopar.No trouble other than the odd ballast resistor popping
FBO.Love it!3 years of daily driving and still running strong.Seat of the pants feel way better than any other ign .Had trouble with the resistor ,but it wasnt the msd one at the time.Now I use the msd,no trouble
Jacobs.Limited to thier coils and wires but liked both.Coil solved a stalling issue on my dads /6 truck back in 90.Still in there and still running strong.

Ok then...thats just one more part to fail in using that system...

yeah i guess your right. It is supposed to be a much better ballast than one from a standard auto parts store. I think FBO had some issues with them failing and went with the MSD brand for this reason. I believe that solved most issues. If it does fail at least I have two more sitting in the garage and one in the glove box. That way I am not standed. Oh and a spare orange ECU. Unlike the MSD which would strand you if it fails and you are out hitching. Hopefully your legs are better looking than mine . :happy4: I guess that is the benefit of having a stock style ignition system.

MSD is still a great way to go. I just kept mine closer to stock. Who knows I could switch and I'd report back any improvements over the FBO. Clearly the multi-spark units have their performance advantages. I still think both are ugly sitting on top of the fenders (fixable of course).

The FBO set up is just like the MoPar set up with a ballast resister, so it isn't really another part to burn up, just a different resister to use rather than a MoPar unit or whatever ballast resister is used now.

The MoPar units are distrib, box resister coil, just like the FBO set up.

From post #8;

But it was so powerful, to powerful for the useage it was given of daily driver, it would once a year burn up the cap and rotor to the point of actual meltdown and burnt carbon left behind.

And that would be it and only that as the reason why, nothing else would stop me from useing it again.

ook so besides that use it but if i get a rotor and cap should be fine no?

also remember mines jsut a weekened car and race car not dailey driver

I’m now interested in the Jacobs Mileage Master system…

This is how it seems, correct me if I’m wrong…
It seems that Jacobs makes a good system but the Pro Street kit is too hard on IGN parts for a daily driver. The Mileage Master is not too hard on parts (assuming ray79rt Swinger is a daily driver). Both have great reputations, only disadvantage is price …and unattractive design IMO.

A bad ‘review’:
http://industryfigure.com/berkeley/Jeep/jacobs.htm

This doesn’t retard spark for easier starts do they? Where are they made?

I’ve never really researched these boxes (I thought this thread was about distributors in my other post). Do these just take the place of the box and ballast resistor? Do you just cut the wires going to those parts and use them for the box?

btw: What's a RPM Window Switch (Hyfire VI)

Hmmmmmm..you don't run a ballast resistor with a msd system...

actually its for using a msd coil with a stock distributor. when using a 6a style box, you don't need one since the box decides the coil voltage and not just a 12v ignition source that needs a variable level of resistance at different rpm's.

We are running the Hy-Fire Mallory box, this is our first encounter with after market ignitions. At the Fling, I didn't see anyone running a Mallory Setup and it kind of worries me. We have the hy-fire box and the matching distributor. I have heard good things about them and i couldnt beat the price. Someone had mentioned earlier that they are not water proof??? Should we mount our box in the cab under the dash ?

PICT1365-1.jpg

also remember mines jsut a weekened car and race car not dailey driver

All the more reason to use the msd,i basically just race mine now,with very limited street use,if you go to the track you'll find an msd system under the hood of just about every car there,including the professional classes..

This is how it seems, correct me if I’m wrong…
It seems that Jacobs makes a good system but the Pro Street kit is too hard on IGN parts for a daily driver. The Mileage Master is not too hard on parts (assuming ray79rt Swinger is a daily driver). Both have great reputations, only disadvantage is price …and unattractive design IMO.

If a cap and rotor once a year is too hard on parts, yep, it's to much energy and tuff on parts. What Hyundia makes there parts out of....I don't know?

No Dust, thats a horror show. I went through the same thing with MSD, except, add over zelous, stuff shirt jacka$$ with these added words over and over and over with most every reply. "Were the best, were the best, were the best."

This doesn’t retard spark for easier starts do they? Where are they made?
I don't remeber them doing so. I do not think you can get a dial retard for it ethier..er..anymore. I'll have to look at mine and see if theres a made in sticker on it. I *Believe* there American made.

I’ve never really researched these boxes (I thought this thread was about distributors in my other post). Do these just take the place of the box and ballast resistor? Do you just cut the wires going to those parts and use them for the box?
Yes, you can get a universal magnetic box that requires a positive and negitive (Off the battery) hook up and a 2 wire distributor hook up. Wire up the coil, distributor and battery, plug coil to distib. wire in and go.

MSD use's a chip to regulate RPM.
Mallory has it built into the box and dosen't use a chip.
If this link works....http://www.malloryperformance.com/InstructionSheetsDownloads.aspx?brandId=6&ID=822
This is a PDF of the Mallory ignition. Scroll to the bottom of the instruction sheet and there is a diagram on how to set up and use the rev-limiter on a Mallory box.
If not, Mallory is part of the Mr.Gasket group and below is a link to get to them. Click on the product icon at the bottom to get to that sub-site of the part. Mallory, Accel, Hays, Lakewood and Jacobs.

http://mrgasket.com/

We are running the Hy-Fire Mallory box, this is our first encounter with after market ignitions. At the Fling, I didn't see anyone running a Mallory Setup and it kind of worries me. We have the hy-fire box and the matching distributor. I have heard good things about them and i couldnt beat the price. Someone had mentioned earlier that they are not water proof??? Should we mount our box in the cab under the dash ?

Nice picture. Mallory used to be as popular as MSD. Then, MSD started a great add campain and was the only one with a multi strike (Spark) box. They basicly displaced everybody quickly.
Now that the patten (SP) is up, everybody is making a multi spark box. There trying to get back into the game again.

I also read above there not water resistant/proof. Ethier way, if they are or not, mounting it inside the cabin is a great way to protect the unit from extremes in heat and to a degree, cold.
My MSD6 box is said to be OK for use inside the engine compartment, but I had to fail with water inside. SO that ends that with me and what they say can't happen.

(MSD did, by the way, replace box's to me at no cost, except me mailing them my damaged box, since my claims were true and deamed the box's I sent defective. "It shouldn't have leaked" they said. Followed by, "Where was this mounted?" There customer service was good to me. No complaint on that whatsoever! Very good in fact. However, to many boxs and stranded nights in the cold...they can keep what ever they have.)

It's a built in grounding switch that in conjunction with a relay turns on (grounds) at a set rpm and then turns off at another set rpm. This essentialy creates a "window" of operation for an electrical device such as N2o. Ever see a manifold explosion at the strip? When a driveshaft, axle or tranny lets loose the engine over revs and hits the rev limiter. If the nitrous is activated, the hood scoop will launch. lol! With a window switch you can deactivate the nitrous automatically at a pre set rpm below the rpm at which the rpm limiter is activated. This will save you a lot of work, time and money if something goes wrong. No one likes intake manifold shrapnel, drivers and spectators alike!

Someone had mentioned earlier that they are not water proof??? Should we mount our box in the cab under the dash ?

They are not waterproof, although waterproof boxes are availible from both MSD and Mallory. This adds considerably to the cost as they are potted in epoxy, and I wonder how this effects their ability to dissapate heat. I always mount my boxes in cab as there is less exposure the elements, heat and vibration and I can see the digital (LED) readout in the bright sun as it is mounted under a dark dash. lol! Always use rubber grommets when you pass wires though the firewall too.

Did I mention to "Never weld on a car with an aftermarket ignition installed without first unplugging the harness"? OK, just reminding everyone. ;)

I use the Mopar Performance distributer with the Chrome MP ignition box. works great!

I tried to improve it by adding a MP MSD 6AL in place of the chrome box and found I had broken first rule of mechanic'c:

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

Car did not perform any better at all. the ET and PMH were basically the same for both systems. and once the MSD got hot the car would not start (until I rewired the chrome box and continued racing!)

Moral of story: if you have a functioning mopar electronic system use it. If you buy one of the other systems complete (MSD, Mallory, etc) THEY WILL WORK WELL!

But the MP system for $200-$300 is a very good value and performs well.

Bob

Last time I got sucked in on this one.
I was just going to lurk this time.
There are pros and cons to them all.
But I will add this:
Would I be going out on a limb to say that they ALL have failed someone, sometime or somewhere?
Just because Joe Blow hasn’t had a problem with something electronic doesn’t mean you won’t.
Wreckers suck.
So unless you are just going to haul your car to the track, you better have a backup plan with any of them.

But I will add this:
Would I be going out on a limb to say that they ALL have failed someone, sometime or somewhere?

Just because Joe Blow hasn’t had a problem with something electronic doesn’t mean you won’t.

So unless you are just going to haul your car to the track, you better have a backup plan with any of them.

Aint it the truth. No going out on a limb there. Truth is truth.

I've run MSD stuff for 15+ years without failure, now it's becoming chinese which sucks. ALL mopar stuff is chinese unless you are buying ancient used or NOS stuff, mopar practically pioneered the use of chinese stuff and is likely to introduce the first chinese import autos to the US under the Chrysler brand. Only MSD6 series boxes I've seen fail were wired wrong for the most part, where when growing up we carried both the ignition module and lean burn boxes in the dash and swapped them out as needed.

ive had the fbo on my scamp for 8 months now, no problems so far , and made quite a difference over stock:thumbup:

-
Back