FBO plate over advancing

-
Misleading. You're being too nice. They are flat out WRONG. When you pay 45 bucks for a thin piece of metal, it ought to at least be RIGHT.
That is one of the reasons I made my own, it took me 3 variations to get it right, but now it is dead on.

I wouldn't sell them, but I will give to anyone that wants it the STL, or STEP file for it. Then they can 3D print, or laser cut their own.

one more observation:

Halifax got me thinking, my tbar is a 15, so 30* at the crank. I wanted 16* at the crank, so roughly half the slot. The picture below has the 16* slots under the tbar. The inside of both pieces are flush, the fbo plate should restrict the travel by more than it does.

my micrometer needs a new battery, so I wasn't able to get slot readings last night

View attachment 1716141203
Excellent comparison. You can actually see how inaccurate the plate is with no question whatsoever. The plate slt in that position "should" be about half the length of the slots in the governor and clearly it's not. We're being fleeced.

Thanks Rob always wondered that one.
Me too so I called him a while back. Took several times but I finally got him. The labor is basically the same to weld and file the slots as it is to install the plate. Tried and true old school wins out again.

It does. I just have so many advance cams I do not have to do that. I have seen some really bad ones done then must have been finished with a really corse file and it would hang the weights up. Got to make sure that slot is smooth which I am sure you know.

It does. I just have so many advance cams I do not have to do that. I have seen some really bad ones done then must have been finished with a really corse file and it would hang the weights up. Got to make sure that slot is smooth which I am sure you know.
Oh yeah. You don't need it hangin up on you. That'd suck. But still, in cases like mine, when you need a really SHORT curve, there's no ready made governor for it, so the choice is clear.

If you have ever read "Old Reliable The Practical 440 Race Motor" by Don Dulmage, he tells in depth about how to remove and modify the distributor governors. He was a big fan, because of the basically zero cost involved. He was a true innovator of how to build a budget race engine. If you follow his 440 recipe, you will have an honest 500HP 440 on a shoestring.

Rusty all 4 I installed in my cars are inaccurate as well. I put them in the least advance slot (10 degrees) but have gotten more like 14 degrees. V8 and slant 6.

Have any of you guys let him know his plates are inaccurate? Maybe he can make the proper modifications to it.

Have any of you guys let him know his plates are inaccurate? Maybe he can make the proper modifications to it.
Yup. I surely have. He wasn't what I'd call rude about it, but the response I got was blunt, curt and more than "to the point".

-
Back