Featherweight Hood-1976?

-

Woody'sScamp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
All,
I have some pin holes in the top of my hood. I have a line on a featherweight hood for my '75 Scamp/Brougham. Questions?
1. I believe all 73-76 Valiant, Duster hoods are the same?
2. I believe featherweight hoods were on some '76 Dusters only.
3. Would I need new or different hood hinges for this featherweight hood?

Thanks,
Woody

Woody, hood for 76 Feather Duster and Dart Lite were one year only. 1976.
Only thing lighter is the underhood bracing.
There were dimples under the edges to crimp the aluminum under to the steel top.
It's not a ton lighter, not sure on spring deal.
If the car with the hood is original, I would grab the hinges.

The hinges are the same, but, the springs are different. You might look into getting the lighter weight bumper reinforcements off the Feather Duster too.

I have a very nice Feather Duster Hood that has
been inside the shop for 40 years = $500.00
I lifted the hood and a steel one today and it was
a very noticeable difference.

Feather Duster and Dart Lite hoods are about 12-15 lbs lighter than all steel. Gotta have the hood springs too. Standard hood springs are too stiff and can tweak the hood in the middle. FWD Daytona, Shadow, etc. will fit, but are a tad too light.
. I use a wooden prop stick too.

Trunk lid had an aluminum underside, but like the rear bumper, won't interchange with a Valiant/Scamp/Brougham. Front bumper with aluminum reinforcement will interchange. Big weight difference there.

Feather Duster and Dart Lite hoods are about 12-15 lbs lighter than all steel. Gotta have the hood springs too. Standard hood springs are too stiff and can tweak the hood in the middle. FWD Daytona, Shadow, etc. will fit, but are a tad too light.
. I use a wooden prop stick too.

Trunk lid had an aluminum underside, but like the rear bumper, won't interchange with a Valiant/Scamp/Brougham. Front bumper with aluminum reinforcement will interchange. Big weight difference there.
The Dart Lite and Feather Duster use the same rear bumper and trunk lid. The front bumper and hood are different.

Thanks guys for all your answers. My first question was the hinges. After looking over the featherweight hood, my guy wanted to look elsewhere and found me another regular hood. Now I'm going to pick it up soon.

I have a very nice Feather Duster Hood that has
been inside the shop for 40 years = $500.00
I lifted the hood and a steel one today and it was
a very noticeable difference.

Is it enough of a difference that I won't pay a billion dollars to get it shipped to Kansas City?

While on the topic of Feather Duster parts, the aluminum front bumper backing is 26.5lbs lighter than the steel front bumper backing. Sadly the rear bumper is different between the Duster and Valiant so my rear end still carries some extra weight.

While on the topic of Feather Duster parts, the aluminum front bumper backing is 26.5lbs lighter than the steel front bumper backing. Sadly the rear bumper is different between the Duster and Valiant so my rear end still carries some extra weight.

Look on the bright side. The weight is where you need it for traction! :thumbsup:

-
Back