Federal PS Pump brackets?

-

64bluefish

Reaction score
I have a 1964 Barracuda that I'm putting a 360 into. I have the original Federal pump off of the 273. The bracket that I have will not fit the '70 and up alum. water pump. Are there any brackets that do fit the alum water pump and the federal pump? I have a Saginaw pump and brackets for the 360. I'm not sure if it will fit in the car though.
Mark

I am having the same problem with switching over to 1970 and up style accessories, so I am throwing in the towel and buying the whole MARCH Performance serpentine conversion.

What did you guys come up with for a solution?

If you went with a diff pump, did you have to change crank and water pump pulleys too?

I have the later aluminum water pump, and currently the alternator, the water pump and the out side crank grove will line up fine for the belt that drives the alternator and the water pump on this outside crank grove.

So how do I get the pump mounted so that it can use the inner grove on the lower crank pulley. Is there a bracket that works best and should I go with a saginaw pump setup for this, and or do you space the pump out further and get a 3 grove lower crank pulley and run the belt from the PS to the outside 3rd grove?

Pictures anyone that has gone from a cast water pump to a later aluminum pump setup on a small block please would help.

I also see that http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEPowerSteering.asp
makes parts, but I read some users have issues with the pump hitting out on the K frame on the early years. His mounting puts the pump very low in the car, and is for a saginaw style. I was thinking I need a saginaw pump with the brackets that Mancini Racing sells. Then I need a pulley for the pump and to make sure it lines up with the crank. Someone please help thanks! Then I even noticed that there is a new federal pump setup that adapts the PS pump to work off of the aluminun water pumps. Anyone try that on either? My pump is the old TRW used in 64 and many other early A's. So no brackets are out there that I have seen to make it work. It used to straadle the water pump.

PS Swear if I had to do it all over again I would NOT have let Firm Feel talk me into staying with the Power Steering!

Did you resolve you power steering pump bracket issue? I am facing similair issue with a 1967 273 TRW pump and brackets onto a 1969 318 with aftermarket alum. water pump?

I feel your pain, and hope you have resolved the issue and will share your solution.

I have a 1964 Barracuda that I'm putting a 360 into. I have the original Federal pump off of the 273. The bracket that I have will not fit the '70 and up alum. water pump. Are there any brackets that do fit the alum water pump and the federal pump? I have a Saginaw pump and brackets for the 360. I'm not sure if it will fit in the car though.
Mark

70-72 318 darts will have a federal pump . Now are the 64 and 70's pumps the same so the brackets will fit is the question. I can get you a few pics of the brackets I'm talking about if you want. I grab them whenever I see them because they are getting hard to find.

Thanks for the information. I have them ordered, cheaper than a new pump and brackets.

-
Back