feedback sought for Retro Radio's Redondo RS Radio (knob type)

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am Still Searching for a modern Radio that will fit in my unaltered dash

After reading lots of feedback I am abandoning the Ken Harrison radio after hearing lots of negative feedback here and elsewhere...

Next possibility is RetroRadio's 1969-70 Dart Redondo RS Radio. I know from my last round of research that the 1969 radios had thumb wheels not knobs (Retro offers a thumbwheel version that is listed for 1968-9 Dart). This is a knob radio and it is to replace the knob radio in my standard dash 1970 Dart.

This one has adjustable knob location and separate radio dial and push button components so it should be easier to adjust to fit the original dash bezel, exactly. I am putting out this call for input from folks who have used this radio or know someone who has.
Thanks for your help!

Theres a Retro Radio shop near me in PA, maybe not the same as the one near you, but...
Wanted to keep my 69 Dart original looking, so sent my original thumbwheel out to Retro Radio in Elizabethtown PA a few years ago.
Its now an AM/FM with a hidden USB port.
I really like the radio, eventhough at the time I didn't have much experience with the features. It can be tricky to navigate around with turning on and off quick, to change bands etc. (Much easier w a knob).
Last year, I was on a road trip and couldn't figure out how to swich to FM radio. (tough to read instructions while driving).
So, I called Retro, got an immediate answer and got a 10 minute tutorial over the phone from the owner!
Great product, even better customer service!
Link attatched, good luck.
Joe
Home - Radio Restoration

Last edited:
I have the exact radio you are talking about in my 67 dart.
I have no complaints about it.
My exhaust is too loud to hear much from the radio and i seem to prefer to listen to the exhaust tone

Theres a Retro Radio shop near me in PA, maybe not the same as the one near you, but...
Wanted to keep my 69 Dart original looking, so sent my original thumbwheel out to Retro Radio in Elizabethtown PA a few years ago.
Its now an AM/FM with a hidden USB port.

RetroRadio builds modern radios to fit in vintage dashes, as opposed to Retro Radio Restoration which I found at Chryslers at Carlisle many years ago.

I used Retro Radio Restoration for my other two vintage Mopars and am generally happy with the results. The only issue is the one you mentioned - turning the on/off to cycle from AM to FM. I really can't complain about the results, but wanted to see if I could get rid of the on/off switching, and was hoping that I might be able to add a search function as I hope to use this car for long distance travel where local presets really don't help.

Thank you for your response

I don't own one but would like to hear other's opinions as well! The only negative things I have heard about them are people saying that they seem to die shortly after the warranty period, but I may be thinking about a different radio brand.

I have Redondo with thumb wheels. Like it, but I wish you could disconnect all the inputs/outputs you don’t need. Don’t want to cut them off.

I bought a cheap Laguna model for a Ford on ebay. Than I bought the correct knobs from Crutchfield and spent about half than buying as a package. So if you find a cheap Redondo, price out the correct knobs it could be cheaper.

I have the Retrosound Redondo radio in my ‘66 Beetle. The main body is what they call the Motor 2 which I think is the same body as used on the ‘67 Dart radio.

I really like the radio, the sound is really good despite having only a dash speaker. It looks great and I love the ability to have a USB stick with thousands of my favourite songs available to listen to. The Bluetooth hands free for the cellphone is an awesome feature too.

One thing I’ve noticed is that there is a drain on my battery when the radio is off.

I usually disconnect my battery with a disconnect switch under the seat but left it on for a few days and it totally killed the battery.

Reprogramming all the menu settings after the battery has been disconnect is a bit of a pain.

Overall I think it’s a great radio but just be prepared to disconnect your battery when you park your car for more than a day and then spend the time to reprogram all the settings when power is restored.

01CD668A-4573-4B0D-829F-4970DE0F0C8E.jpeg

6423AE31-F807-4355-8A67-5B2421C86E0B.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back