feeler thread for 340 engine

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
I have a 72 340 engine with crank, rods and heads. The heads are not x heads but have the big valves. What would be a fair asking price . I'm thinking 750

Start an actual for sale thread with the asking price of $750.00 for all and go from there. Post the partial VIN that is located along the oil pan rail on the right side of the block. Also post the casting date of the motor along with the part number. Post several picts of the parts as well as picts of the VIN, casting date and part number. Post as much info as you can on condition as you can.

All of these things will help you sell the motor.

Remember you can always go down in price but you can never go up.

Joe

Cast or forged crank? Low compression pistons?
If it is a 72 340 and all original, it will have the cast crank and the 8.5:1 CR pistons as all 72-73 340's had cast cranks and low compression pistons.

To the OP, post dates and part numbers of the heads as well because 72-73 340's should have the small valve heads and if your engine has the large valve heads they would be from a 71 or older motor but are still an added bonus. Joe

all 72-73 340's had cast cranks and low compression pistons.

My 72 came with a steel crank. And since the pistons will be replaced anyways the CR is a moot point.

If it is a 72 340 and all original, it will have the cast crank and the 8.5:1 CR pistons as all 72-73 340's had cast cranks... Joe

Not true, early 72 340's had forged cranks. I've got a 72 340 auto with a forged crank, factory, from a Duster.

Not true, early 72 340's had forged cranks. I've got a 72 340 auto with a forged crank, factory, from a Duster.

I have not seen a forged crank in an 72 340 auto. I have seen quite a few 72 340s w forged crank in 4 gear cars "why I asked in the 1st place". Makes sense that @ the assembly plant they are going to use there surplus of cranks up as apposed to scrapping them.

If it is a 72 340 and all original, it will have the cast crank and the 8.5:1 CR pistons as all 72-73 340's had cast cranks and low compression pistons.

To the OP, post dates and part numbers of the heads as well because 72-73 340's should have the small valve heads and if your engine has the large valve heads they would be from a 71 or older motor but are still an added bonus. Joe

I did not see "original" in the post. Big valves are not original to the engine, and some 72s have forged cranks. Seeing as heads were changed, hard telling what else has been done to it. Why I was asking.

would not the bore diameter - be important information? Seems this fishing expedition needs to add some bait to get the desired catch.
A lot of questions need answered to ascertain value
-- it will come down to what someone will pay or if you have a missing matching # to a restored car.
Lawrence

I have a 72 340 engine with crank, rods and heads. The heads are not x heads but have the big valves. What would be a fair asking price . I'm thinking 750
So are they "J" heads? Is it literally just the block, crank, rods, and heads? Or do you also have some of the minor parts for it too - timing chain cover, crank dampner, etc., etc.? Is it still greasy from just being pulled apart? Or is it rusty from sitting for decades in a garage? Or, better yet, has it been tanked and prep'd for reassembly? A lot of variables here??

So are they "J" heads? Is it literally just the block, crank, rods, and heads? Or do you also have some of the minor parts for it too - timing chain cover, crank dampner, etc., etc.? Is it still greasy from just being pulled apart? Or is it rusty from sitting for decades in a garage? Or, better yet, has it been tanked and prep'd for reassembly? A lot of variables here??

It's a steel crank and I never mentioned in ad it was all original...it's been sitting in garage for a long time. Has very light rust in cylinders. Will have timing cover and oil pan

I've worked for a Chrysler dealer for 40 years and have never run accross a cast crank in a 72 340.

This info was taken from AllPar.com.

1972 - The 340 four-barrel dropped to 240 horsepower:
Compression dropped to 8.5:1; the compression height of the piston via wrist pin location changed by 0.10”
The crankshaft was switched from forged to cast somewhere in the production cycle, believed to be in early April 1972, with engine 39118000 (thanks, Karl Thomas); a milder camshaft was used
340/360 were moved to “J” casting heads with 1.92” intake valves; exhaust valves remained the same
Paint went from orange to corporate blue

This info was taken from AllPar.com.1972 - The 340 four-barrel dropped to 240 horsepower:Compression dropped to 8.5:1; the compression height of the piston via wrist pin location changed by 0.10”The crankshaft was switched from forged to cast somewhere in the production cycle, believed to be in early April 1972, with engine 39118000 (thanks, Karl Thomas); a milder camshaft was used340/360 were moved to “J” casting heads with 1.92” intake valves; exhaust valves remained the samePaint went from orange to corporate blue

That is wrong information. All 340 camshafts were the same except for the 1968 manual transmission. The 1972 340 "J" heads used 1.88 Premium intake valves, not 1.92. All 360's had "J" heads from 1971 till about 1973 with standard 1.88 intake valves. I have personally blueprinted two untouched original 1972 340's and know that what I say is correct. Both had forged cranks, but I do not know what the production dates were. In my mind, it makes all other information suspect.

If allpar is correct,and the switch was in April, that could mean more than a few forged are out there. When was start/stop for model year production back then? October/ July?

If allpar is correct,and the switch was in April, that could mean more than a few forged are out there. When was start/stop for model year production back then? October/ July?

First week of August was the start of production. End was early July. My '72 Challenger has a build date of 8/17/71, and a lot of '71 specific parts too. They just used what they had left over until it was gone, which is also why a lot of A-bodies ended up with rim-blow steering wheels in '71, they were going out of production for '72.

-
Back