Feeler Thread Tubular K Members for Stock suspensions.

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
I want to get a feel for how these would be recieved if they were made. I have a friend that owns a fab shop and we were talking over the weekend about tubular k-members that he is making for Mustangs and new dodge vehicles and I brought up the need for an affordable K-Member for the A, B,E body mopars and he said he would be interested in making them if the demand was there. We were discussing the idea of building something that has the ability to use the stock suspension and be upgraded as the need and funds became available.

Here is what I told him I would like to see. A K-member that could use a factory steering box But would have mounts so you could use a rack and pinion. The ability to use any engine combo with factory mounts. A way to add coil overs or use torsion bars But not convert to a Mustang II suspension so you could use your own spindles and brakes. Offset control arms so you could lower the front end without losing stock geometry by using lowering spindles. Things of this nature and more.

Price was my main concern I explained to him the other K-Members out there are very pricey but for what you get very fair. I told him I want this to be something someone could build onto over time so you could use all of your own suspension but later down the road you could swap it out piece by piece. We are looking at options and we will be priced very reasonably But we wont know until the first one is done.

The shop has a good pedegree too They are building components for the New Challenger Mopar 10 models and they have parts listed in the Mopar performance parts catalog.

I Have also been talking to Joey about forum sponsorship and this may decide when we do decide to come on as sponsors.

So feel free to post up in here you idea's on what features you would like to see built into these K-Members and what you feel a fair selling price that you would feel comfortable paying would be.

An Example of his work

Attachments

• LX K-member.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • shock tower brace.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,048
at least it looks like he will make a jig up to make sure everything is in the correct spot unlike some other products out there

Are you looking at just the 67 and up or the pre-67 also? The 63-66 Darts/Valiants have clearance issues for a rack and pinion.

at least it looks like he will make a jig up to make sure everything is in the correct spot unlike some other products out there
Yes he builds the jigs and uses a master part to QC every one he builds so there will be hardly any fitment issues. If it doesn't fit it's not the part it's the car.

Yes,I,m also interested in Early-A K.Clearance for 8qrt Mildoon pan.The add-on to stock location sounds good.Do you have a round-about price for a bare K(no rack and pinion vs rack and pinion)??:-D

Well his LX K-member is going to be around $899 so I'm thinking we will be under $1000 for just the bare K-Member.

Well the spindles are lighter and if you already have the Wilwood brakes like I do you don't want to have to buy new ones. I know you can have the spindles re tapered but I feel that will weaken an already small spindle.

But then again this would apply to upper control arms if he will be making them too.

Sounds like a good deal. Check this out though you may have been referring to this piece in your original post.

Well the spindles are lighter and if you already have the Wilwood brakes like I do you don't want to have to buy new ones. I know you can have the spindles re tapered but I feel that will weaken an already small spindle.

But then again this would apply to upper control arms if he will be making them too.
Yeah He will be making uppers so that's good info to have.

We would need a K-member to use for the jig but we would look into it if there is interest.

I have an extra from a 65 sitting in the garage, let me know and we can probably arrange to have it shipped.

Dave

Dunno, the LRT is a race piece.

How would yours differ?

It's going to be 1 3/4" 4130 tube with all the factory mounting locations retained including the steering box. It will be designed for street use from the begining and will be beefed up just for that reason.

-
Back