Felpro 1008's

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Man I've used 4 sets of these and just don't remember seeing water passages blocked. Starting final assembly on this new bullit and notice 3 passages are blocked.

Did I just miss this before or is something wrong here?
20170208_194421.jpg
20170208_185401.jpg

Darn I just put a set on and didn't notice that , I did find they are 1 sided not opposing pairs and the printed side had to go down on one side of the motor for everything to line up .

have you already cut the tabs ? mine always have tabs that extend up over the china rails that need to be cut before the intake goes on . I do it with the heads on so it gets cut flush to the edge of the head .

I think the blocked holes are to direct coolant along the head and the jackets, rather than it just going in and out with a high potential of hot spots.

have you already cut the tabs ? mine always have tabs that extend up over the china rails that need to be cut before the intake goes on . I do it with the heads on so it gets cut flush to the edge of the head .
Yeah. They are one side up, one side down. As you can see, tabs are wacked off after I set the heads on. I'm guessing the water passages are OK like this, but I just don't remember it before..

Other side is the same thing, of course blue is down on that side..

I think the blocked holes are to direct coolant along the head and the jackets, rather than it just going in and out with a high potential of hot spots.
Thanks Mope! I figured it was something like that. Just weird I never noticed it before.
Could be senility setting in:lol:

A few years ago I had a set of 596 heads where one head had those holes and the other didn't.

They only fit over the alignment dowels for the heads one way (one up one down) as mentioned.
The blocked passages are normal.

funny thing about the fel-pro 1008 gaskets......if you buy the mopar P4349557 you´ll get two 1008´s and save some dollars. I just received a set.

Michael

You can punch holes for the 2 lower blocked holes. I usually go between 1/4 to 3/8" for improved cooling. Do NOT punch the front one by the timming cover the water would go in the block and right back out the thermostat housing.

Wouldn't Felpro be knowing what they are doing (being in the business for a little while)...?
So I think it's along the lines moper said.

Kind of depends on your aplication. for me I race oval track run my motors 6500-7000k for 20 laps in 100+ degree summer heat. so every little bit of help I can get is a plus. If the rules alowed it I would put more water between the center exhaust valves and scavange some from the rear but I cant do any external mods so I do them internal. for drag race or street use the factory setup is fine.

No one take this the wrong way, especially ironmike, but seriously...I can't believe I'm seeing these threads pop up lately where people don't know how an engines cooling system/design works but yet build 500+ hp motors and will argue with you while trying to help them tune their motor.lol

Don't take this the wrong way but :What exactly are you the official of ? Who said anything about 500hp+ and who was talking about tuning ? The OP thought he saw something he didn't remember seeing before so he asked a question , this prompted me to realize I had just put a set on and didn't remember them having or not having what he was asking about so everyone else gave helpful information -as we say in Canada thanks for coming out there eh !

I was just about to post the same question. I got my new gaskets the other day and noticed the same thing. I didn't pay attention to the old gaskets when I took them off, I guess it's ok.

Didn't see anyone arguing this thread at all. Something I noticed....asked about.....and was answered..

I know exactly how the cooling system works, too. It's something to do with the water. Simple.
Geez.

Don't take this the wrong way but :What exactly are you the official of ? Who said anything about 500hp+ and who was talking about tuning ? The OP thought he saw something he didn't remember seeing before so he asked a question , this prompted me to realize I had just put a set on and didn't remember them having or not having what he was asking about so everyone else gave helpful information -as we say in Canada thanks for coming out there eh !
Triggered.lol
Didn't see anyone arguing this thread at all. Something I noticed....asked about.....and was answered..

I know exactly how the cooling system works, too. It's something to do with the water. Simple.
Geez.

Arguing? Not In this thread, good sir, other threads yes and not you, maybe in one of your threads though. Some people skip ahead, you just had lifter bores bushed, built a few others as noted in your other posts, I would think you knew simple **** like this. jmo.Just a simple observation...this is maybe the 3rd thread on this if im not mistaken. Search function works pretty good,if you use it.
I'm sure you guys will bust my balls down the road if/when I slip up. LOL Lighten up frances.

Triggered.lol

Arguing? Not In this thread, good sir, other threads yes and not you, maybe in one of your threads though. Some people skip ahead, you just had lifter bores bushed, built a few others as noted in your other posts, I would think you knew simple **** like this. jmo.Just a simple observation...this is maybe the 3rd thread on this if im not mistaken. Search function works pretty good,if you use it.
I'm sure you guys will bust my balls down the road if/when I slip up. LOL Lighten up frances.
Well damn if I just never picked it up before. Too busy worrying about all the other stuff. I figure Felpro knows a helluva lot more than me, so I just put em on and run them.

I'll bet you a beer only you and me know where the "lighten up Francis" line came from........loved that movie.

"See we're in Germany, so the guy on the buttom bunk has to make the guy on the top's bunk. If we were in Italy then I'd have to make your bunk..."

"See we're in Germany, so the guy on the buttom bunk has to make the guy on the top's bunk. If we were in Italy then I'd have to make your bunk..."
DAMN. Mope knows EVERYTHING. Guess I owe the Official a beer:mad:

Im smiling over here, enjoying my beer in the rain.lol
Some still do drill a small hole for added cooling to the 2 center chambers but its kinda moot unless youre doing it on a slant and you always wanna keep that hole smaller than the rear passages as to not detour too much flow, the factory 3/4 exhaust seats go quick and this helps stetch them out a lil longer when running w/o hard seats.

Is there a movie on this flight ?
Only two things come from Texas!
What's next ?
Well damn if I just never picked it up before. Too busy worrying about all the other stuff. I figure Felpro knows a helluva lot more than me, so I just put em on and run them.

I'll bet you a beer only you and me know where the "lighten up Francis" line came from........loved that movie.

-
Back