Fender Install

-

Jlcaptain24

Reaction score
Just about ready to install fenders permanently and assemble the build. I seem to remember when I took it apart (4 yrs ago) they was some kind of adhesive between the fender where it bolts to the flange on the engine bay.

Should I do the same?? Or just bolt it up. I'm inclined NOT to use adhesive...as it'll make it painful to remove if I ever have to.

My barracuda had that also. It was an adhesive strip. I'm going back with something similar as I think you would get squeaks or rattles without it. My guess is it was meant for that purpose but probably doesn't even have to be sticky.

yea - though I don't think it had anything to do with rattling as they are still metal to metal in the long run - may have been there to hold the fender in place before it got to the bolts on the assembly line..? What are there - 5 or 6 points of contact along there and they do get tightened down pretty good. If you really have to have something in there maybe a thin strip of foam..? Or even a small piece between each bolt down area? THIN being the key word here as you could upset the alignment using something too thick..

I believe it was there as a sealant to keep water out when driving in the rain as it is right above the tire.

I cut down a strip of sill plate construction foam. When you tighten it down it compresses pretty thin. Been in there for a couple of years with no issue.

-
Back