Fender mounted turn signal 66 barracuda

-

amx364

Reaction score
OK first try was to install new bulbs started on drivers side fender removed old bulb and ordered 2 replacements. After getting new bulbs then removed right side unit, it had not worked for a very long time and was rusted over. The plastic broke, of course and as anyone who has tried none of the parts are to be had under 200 dollars. Cut down the amber lens until I could epoxy the lens in. The idea was to use a 194 type bulb unit in the fender hole. This was a good idea, but was truly not workable. The 194 bulbs worked, but there was not enough room inside the housing for anything except a low mount led bulb which does not work well at that location. Next revision was to buy 3 5/32 inch amber led lights fron Speedway. These were smaller then I was thinking they would be, which worked great due to space requirements. Before starting I connected 1 led to battery power to check light output. For the size the light looks like it should work in daylight. Drilled 5/32 hole in center of the amber lens and pushed the fitting in. Pictures should give some ideas as to the size.

Attachments

• 3-15-2013-1 fender mounted turn signal.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,900
  • 3-15-2013-2 fender mounted turn signal.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 2,869
  • 3-15-2013-3 fender mounted turn signal.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,818
hey amx364, I'm curious if those LED's turned out to be bright enough, particularly during the day...??

I've had a hard time finding a super-bright LED rated for the right voltage.

Hey 4spdcuda66,
Here are a few 'before' photos. It does have the later model side marker lights. As you can see from the pic of the firewall connector, the wiring was really shot, but the real travesty is that those are Ford Fairlane hubcaps - now changed.
I'll post more when I get the re-wire finished.

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,608
  • pic00.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,635
  • pic04.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,630
That wiring looks SCARY!! Your car looks pretty clean. Post some interior and engine pics when you get a chance. Thanks.:burnout:

-
Back