Fender Tag Missing

-

Ehbody

Reaction score
Hi Guys...I bought a 1970 Duster 340 4spd......The person I got it from says that he has the tag,but misplaced it after he removed it to do body work and I believe him(friend of a friend thing). He is supposed to be looking for it,but I am concerned that if he might not find it. How much does it hurt resale(price or desireability)if I wanted to sell it someday?

You can have a new Fender Tag built. You will need the build sheet though. Do you have a Build Sheet? That would help a lot.

On a 340, 4 speed car, #'s match, fender tag and Broadcast sheet, go a long way for re-sale value.
It's all part of the documentation and authenticity, my .02.

Personally, I would not buy a car without the fendertag or Broadcast sheet and have passed up several. Sorry but you asked. God bless you. Wayne

On a /6 car...no tag, no big deal. Most likely the car will get built how the buyer wants to build it. I hate to say it but, on a 340 car I think the missing tag will hurt the resale pretty bad.

It sounds like the fender tag was an agreed on part of the deal. If it can not be provided see if you can get your money back. If he is not willing to give the money back sue him.

A fender tag on a 340 car is a HUGE part of the value.

Nope, I don't have a broadcast sheet either...part of the VIN code states that the car is a 340. The car isn't matching #,but has "year correct" engine,carb.,paint color,interior,etc. As far as resale value," very nicely restored" w/o tag is $12,000. and "very nicely restored" with tag is $15,000.? Does that sound about right?

The "H" in the vin does designate it to be a 340 car. But I'd go a couple thousand either way on your estimate, maybe around $10k for a none #'s and no tag car.

Some #'s match cars have gone for really high $ recently, I'm talking around $40.k's.

The tag hurts a lot, the build sheet not as much, but its not a #'s matching car anyway so if you like the car keep it. What i'm saying is nobodys going to care a lot about the tag if the engine #'s dont match

The tag hurts a lot, the build sheet not as much, but its not a #'s matching car anyway so if you like the car keep it. What i'm saying is nobodys going to care a lot about the tag if the engine #'s dont match

Many would care.

The non matching number engine is one step down…

The missing fender tag is another step down…

Both are fine if he didn’t pay much for the car……

Missing one or the other hurts the value……Missing both totally kills any collector value.

My questions are,
1) Are you buying the car for investment? If not who cares if it has the tag or broadcast sheet
2) Is the car restored or plan to restore? If not who cares if it has the tag or broadcast sheet
3) Are you getting the car to have fun? If so who cares if it has the tag or broadcast sheet

If the answer is yes to 1 and 2 then by all meens don't buy the car without the tag and sheet.

that just my thoughts. and that may not even be worth 2 cents

I have neither for my dart but not number matching anyhow... it was done right and I have a lot of pictures showing the restoration. Every show I go to I have people wanting to know if it's for sale. I've been offered pretty good money for it, maybe not top money. Guess what I'm saying is that sure not having tags & build sheet is going to hurt some but if it's done right and looks good ....you're going to get good money....just my 2 cent also.

What's the vin number for the car? I'll take a look to see if it's been found and made known to me...

i would say it hurts the cras value alot, but if your just gunna have fun with it without caring about re-sale, then i would say go-ahead

I have come across another 70 Duster 340 4 speed that is matching # except for the tranny...does that hurt resale much?(It has a tag and a broadcast sheet).

-
Back