fender tag questions?

-

dicer82

Reaction score
Hello, I was looking at a 1965 barracuda and I am told there is no fender tag, I know that not having it is not good however what does this mean exactly? Does it mean that there is no vin or no way to determine if it is like a formula s or something? :newb:

It means a lot of options are not easy to figure out. The VIN is in the door jam. If you are a purest, it makes like a little harder.

so it is not impossible, did plymouth keep the records or do you just have to start by decoding the vin etc?

You can't get an options list simply off the VIN. You'll either need that VIN plate on the drivers fender apron, or hope there's a broadcast sheet somewhere in the car. I found my sheet when I pulled the lower backseat out, the factory wedged it between the cushion and the springs.

You can get the factory build card (ibm) from Chrysler historical. It costs about $40.00 and takes about 4 weeks to receive it. I or someone else here can decode it for you. It will list all option that your car was equipped with and is more extensive than a fender tag and broadcast sheet since they are created from this build card.

http://wpchryslermuseum.org/page.aspx?pid=501

If you are looking at a car then it's up to the seller to prove it is actually a Formula S car. It would take the fender tag, build sheet or the Chrysler Historical info to show it was produced as a FS. I'm not sure whether it is a FS or not would add too much to the value, maybe a little bit but not too much.

Thank you all very much! Very informative! I shall be continuing my research! Always had a soft spot for those early barracudas, but a formula s and three pedals makes it better!! :D

-
Back