Fenderwell header clearances.

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
Ok guys, so I've got hooker 5215hkr fenderwell headers in my 67 cuda that's got a 440.
The headers went in fine, with some slight mods to clear a couple of spots.
I've had to set the ride height way up so the front tires just clear when turning right.
What is the minimum distance I can have between the upper control arm and the droop stop?
I've got as much castor as I can get.
I've got 165r15 tires on the front.

Attachments

• DSC_3622.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 299
Maybe the moderators could reposition this, in A bod big block tech forums? Much appreciated...

Do you have any space behind the headers to allow the engine to move back? What about spacing the engine up?
It's going to be real tuff to clear an over 25" diameter tire without any rub especially on a turn where you hit a bump in the road.
Some engine (rough) location dimensions may help here.....................
http://ttiexhaust.com/Footnotes/39.htm

Can't move engine back, not enough room. If I move engine up the section that hits the tyre will be closer, so that's no good either.
So that leaves cutting the header tube or changing front wheels and tyres.
Are most guys running 14" wheels on the front?

Curious, drum or disc brakes?
Maybe spacing the wheels out can help.
Even the old 14" rub. Not sure of that tire size in the picture other than it's a 14". It's close to the 165R15 diameter though.

A tire size reference chart here..................

http://carnut.com/specs/tires.html

Attachments

• Old14Cragars_HookerHdr.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 214
For bumpstops I got cheap. Used old roller cam valve springs,washers,nuts and bolts. LOL. Actually works pretty good. I do keep an eye on em.

if the car would still be driveable (ps would likely do OK) what about dialing in max neg caster to shift the ball joint vertical CL & therefore the tire(s) forward. I've seen the distance it will shift em & it is significant.

I've got it adjusted for full castor.still hits on 3/4 right hand down turn.
The drivers side is no problem at all with plenty of clearance. I think I'll pull the passenger side out and do some cutting and welding. I'm having issues finding 14" steel wheels with a 5x4" stud pattern for the front down here. Only early valiant had them and they are rare as rocking horse ****.

-
Back