Few Questions,

-

Crazy4Carz

Reaction score
A little spec's first: Late model HEMI stroked to 426, 11.2:1 comp, 2X4 650 CFM carbs, TRANS: 4000 converter, 727 Manual (rev) valve body, Trans brake, 3.73:1 gears, M/T Drag radials. The car hooks well, but I can't get past 1.700 60'. I am pulling the front wheels, the best ET was in the mid 11's @ 122mph.

OK, Here is the question, What would you recomend as a good launch RPM? You know the weight of the car in street trim, and now the spec's. I have been launching 3000 - 3200 off the transbrake. Second question, Weight! I want to keep this a street car and a nice driver. But I also want to shed some weight. ( Have my cake and eat it too). any thoughts?

Here is a pic:
662417858_uY6J6-L.jpg

Thanks!
Steve

Il be the 1st to say thats one hell of a dart you have there!
An that im envious, an im sure i wont be the last to say it either ;)

How fast do you want to go?
Do you know how much power your making?

With that mph,best time you could get probly is a high 10.8 ,10.90
out of it with your 60ft sorted in the mid 1.5's.

Time to Chime in guys, help steve out!

Without knowing a bit more about the engine & assuming you have no problem buzzing the motor, I'd go to a 4:30 to 4:88 rear gear, launch at about 4500, shift somewhere around 62-6500 RPM making the motor actually pull. It sounds like you're just driving off the line and driving down the track.
BTW, mind if I ask where you got the car? It sure looks ALOT like one of my old ( and most favorite) ones.....

Thanks for all the kind words.

I have had video of the launch, and there is no tire spin. Other than preventing spin, how else will slicks help me?

I found when I launched at a higher RPM, the launch was softer because there was no room to flash the converter. My 60' was actually better when I launched at 3000 rather than 3200. Should I continue to go higher still? (how high?) should I launch right up against the converter?

I have not had the car on a dyno. From the estimates from the parts suppliers, and the machine shop that did the bottom end assy, and from software estimates, everything points to about 600 at the crank. I don't know what that equals at the wheels.

I am actually looking for high 10's on motor, (from the MPH I figured that was possible) then I already have it set up for spray. 250 fogger. Once I spray it I would like to see possibly high nines, but I want to get all I can out of the engine first.

Here is an engine shot:
dart+engine.jpg

that's a beauty dart, i'd keep launching at higher RPM's until it won't hook any more, just trial and error you know. 3.91's or 4.10,s would probably help it out a bit. I've heard of people using lighter torsion bars like /6's with a small block or small block ones in a big block. I've also heard of guys taking every other spring out of their seats ( usually passenger and rear) to shed some weight. fibreglass front end would be great if you don't already have one? o and by the way that is one gorgeous car!!!

You need to "flash" the converter, so leaving as close to idle as possible is the best way, i'de say your fine with the MTs, if its hooking, you'll get better ETs on them vs. a slick, i'd say 4.11s would have been a better choice, but the 3.73s will be a good N2o gear if you ever spray it, i had issues with my duster not 60fting good as time went on, it hooked well for the most part, but the suspention wasn't holding the car anymore, i would look into that 1st. If the converter is a good one, i don't see 4000 stall being too low, or not enough, what brand is it? A converters quality plays a huge role in its perf., When i was raceing my duster, it had a PTC 11" 3000 stall, it would 60ft. in the low 1.6s, managed a 1.59 once, ETs were 11.teens @ 119/120, but it pulled off a few 11.0s, then i switched to a PTC 9.5" 4400 stall, it then ran in the low 1.5s @ 120 & 10.9s with a 1.51 best, so what i'm saying is, unless your converter is not right, changeing it may not be a fix. Your MPH is there, good for 10.9s easy, i would start with the chassis.

Without knowing a bit more about the engine & assuming you have no problem buzzing the motor, I'd go to a 4:30 to 4:88 rear gear, launch at about 4500, shift somewhere around 62-6500 RPM making the motor actually pull. It sounds like you're just driving off the line and driving down the track.
BTW, mind if I ask where you got the car? It sure looks ALOT like one of my old ( and most favorite) ones.....

Here it is when it came home, slant 6.
dart1.jpg

Dis-assembled:

onblocks1.jpg

As I said, a really beautiful car!:thumbrig: I was surprised as it looked somuch like one I once owned--last I heard it was in Conneticutt. Since the original post, what's happened?

As I said, a really beautiful car!:thumbrig: I was surprised as it looked somuch like one I once owned--last I heard it was in Conneticutt. Since the original post, what's happened?

It's been cold! I still have not been back tot he track, and fron the looks of the weather and schedule I may just be doing "driveway drills"

-
Back