Fiat 500

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
This Is One Of The Cars That Is Going To Save Chrysler. I Was Looking At One From The Side Veiw. I Thought To Myself, Those Lines Look Familiar. It Looks Like The Pt Crusier From The Side. If This Is The Car Thats Going To Save Chrysler, Maybe They Should Just Put New Sheet Metal On The Pt.

Actually I thought they would bring this one back to cut cost and save the company:
Wood_09-86.jpg

Not so much .These days Fiat is well respected and liked in the Europeon market.Evidently they have left there bad mechanics and elec problems in the 70's.I have been waiting to see what cars they will bring to market in the U.S.8)

My wife wants one,but I want to see the $$$$ these are going for.Seen one on Top Gear.I told her it was going to be in the Mopar family soon.

Actually it bears a strong resemblance to the 2nd gen Ford Ka, with which it shares a basic platform.

ford-ka-2009.thumbnail.jpg

I think they do well with it, I noticed a push for premium small cars at the Toronto Autoshow this year. But I bet it will be pricy, a la the Mini and Beetle.

I have to admit, apart from the Dodge Ram, Chryslers showing was pretty weak.

This Is One Of The Cars That Is Going To Save Chrysler. I Was Looking At One From The Side Veiw. I Thought To Myself, Those Lines Look Familiar. It Looks Like The Pt Crusier From The Side. If This Is The Car Thats Going To Save Chrysler, Maybe They Should Just Put New Sheet Metal On The Pt.

I have a Fiat in the yard 124 Spider. Like most I enjoy many different cars.
Valiants and Dusters are the most fun though.
Now that Fiat and Chrysler are mixed-maybe I should put a Hemi in the Spider.

I like it! Although I've always been into the Mopars, there was a few years there where I had a bunch of Fiat Spiders also. They were really great. It was cheaper buying whole cars instead of parts. Here I am with my brother back in the late '80s. I looks like we are delivering an Italian air cleaner pizza.

19339_1341519613182_1086934958_31068749_2192101_n.jpg

I like it! Although I've always been into the Mopars, there was a few years there where I had a bunch of Fiat Spiders also. They were really great. It was cheaper buying whole cars instead of parts. Here I am with my brother back in the late '80s. I looks like we are delivering an Italian air cleaner pizza.

I forgot how much fun those cars can be. I parked mine in '92.

To be as small here as they are they must be doing something right to survive so long.

To be as small here as they are they must be doing something right to survive so long.
If I remember correctly Fiat has filed for bankruptcy 3 times since '79.
The spider 124 body was made be Pinninfarina not Fiat. Fiat did the engines and still went bankrupt then.
They probably teamed up with Chrysler to save thier own company!

Call it help from deep pockets. Their majority shareholder is the Italian government. The forte of the company is small, fuel efficient cars.

There are some other "divisions" of FIAT that offer more interesting products; Alfa Romeo, Lancia, and Ferrari. Back in the day Fiat offered the X1/9, which was gutless power-wise, but handled like a slot car. Their electrical systems were almost as bad as the British of the era, and the only heaters that were worse were in the old Beetle. They were rust magnets, too.

Back in the day, the Fiat Dino Spider and Coupe were both imported to the US. They carried a Ferrari V-6 under the hood and were priced out of reach of the target audience. One we didn't get, that was a headturner, was the Lancia Stratos HF. Think of it as a X1/9 on steroids. Both bodies were designed by Bertone.

250px-X19.jpg

stratos_5.jpg

I've always had fun with Fiats, I've owned over 10 Yugos (fiat 128) Had a lot of fun with them as well...

I've always had fun with Fiats, I've owned over 10 Yugos (fiat 128) Had a lot of fun with them as well...

Yugo - LOL. I recall the celebration when they started putting rear window defrosters in them. Kept your hands warm while you pushed.

Call it help from deep pockets. Their majority shareholder is the Italian government. The forte of the company is small, fuel efficient cars.

There are some other "divisions" of FIAT that offer more interesting products; Alfa Romeo, Lancia, and Ferrari. Back in the day Fiat offered the X1/9, which was gutless power-wise, but handled like a slot car. Their electrical systems were almost as bad as the British of the era, and the only heaters that were worse were in the old Beetle. They were rust magnets, too.

Back in the day, the Fiat Dino Spider and Coupe were both imported to the US. They carried a Ferrari V-6 under the hood and were priced out of reach of the target audience. One we didn't get, that was a headturner, was the Lancia Stratos HF. Think of it as a X1/9 on steroids. Both bodies were designed by Bertone.

My last x 1/9 I turned into a log splitter. It worked well for a log splitter; although it was a little under powered. lol

-
Back