Fiberglass bumpers on a 68 Barracuda

-

MODTOP-Billy

Reaction score
Any advice on how to make a fiberglass bumper look like stock Chrome? Wrap? Dip? Paint?
I got the bumpers on and mocked up I am now ready to pull off and do the final finish.

I hope to get this car painted and back together for some spring runs.
It is just a hot small block for fun not worried about rules except my own safety.

I have wanted to do mine since for ever, but never found a tried and true method that actually works and lasts. I ended up painting mine body color. I have never ever seen any in person either.

The best “chrome” look I found was the automotive vinyl wrap. There is no paint that comes close. I think it would be pretty straight forward to do the bumpers. This is the wrap on the console top. The part wasn’t as smooth as you could get a glass bumper to be.

FCAF7821-07E5-4563-A21D-6CA197A82A07.jpeg

Any advice on how to make a fiberglass bumper look like stock Chrome? Wrap? Dip? Paint?
I got the bumpers on and mocked up I am now ready to pull off and do the final finish.

I hope to get this car painted and back together for some spring runs.
It is just a hot small block for fun not worried about rules except my own safety.
Find someone who can air brush, that's usually the best looking. All the other ways just don't look right (to me).
Except for what furrystump came up with

That is also one generation back in the wrap development. The latest generation has less orange peel to it.

That console top looks nice!

I was looking at a wrap but was reading about Hydroponics "dipping the bumper" and with the bumpers being a "blade" style I thought a dip will not produce wrinkles? There is a graphics race car shop on the other side of town I have been told to go talk to, we will see what they recommend.

I need them to shoot my last sheet of mod material and make me a wrap for the roof anyways. Legendary had to cut one small section out of it and I am inches too short to make a roof cover.

The wife has an original modtop I am making a never built fastback with the slick back roof in a mod way, my his and hers combo a modtop and a promod.

I have metal bumpers, but these fiberglass ones are feather light. This is going to be a pro street, play, show car.
Have you ever seen another race car with flowers? and yes I have got the interior to go with it. race seats with mod in the centers and Legendary mod door panels. My son wants my brain examined. We enjoy showing the 2 cudas as a his/hers combo the modtop and the red conv. I have grand kids that I hope to bring into the old mopar restoration hobby soon they are 14. they will get the red conv and the green fastback.

Thanks to all of yall for the help.

BB

Here's a pic of Chrome paint I used for my turn signal housings since the factory stuff was coming off, but no were near close to actual chrome shine.

20160319_161337.jpg

-
Back