Fiberglass disappointment

-
Maybe E-mail a link to this thread to them, this isn't a monumental thing for them to correct, & that is certainly an otherwise awesome looking piece. You shouldn't have to
"woller out" Your freshly painted-pristine hood hinge brackets to accommodate something so easily remedied as moving the insert 3/8" or so. As stated, they are all the same,
& I haven't seen any notable variation in hinge to hinge consistency.

There IS a difference in hoods and hood hinges throughout the years.

There are two mounting configs at the hinge. One for use with the sliding block in the hood and the other which are slotted holes for use with the stationary holes in hood. I have stationary holes in my hood and hinges that are used for the sliding block.

There are pics of both configs here. The brown ones are the ones used with stationary holes. The purple ones (MINE) are used with a hood with a sliding block.

I just elongated my holes so I didn't have to go through the trouble of re painting them

s-l225.jpg

IMG_20161030_170512998.jpg

There are two mounting configs at the hinge. One for use with the sliding block in the hood and the other which are slotted holes for use with the stationary holes in hood. I have stationary holes in my hood and hinges that are used for the sliding block.

There are pics of both configs here. The brown ones are the ones used with stationary holes. The purple ones (MINE) are used with a hood with a sliding block.

I just elongated my holes so I didn't have to go through the trouble of re painting them

View attachment 1715030445

View attachment 1715030446
YEAH, but , ur just ............plum crazy !!!!!! nice car ! I pulled my hinges off (fiberglass hood) and made filler pieces to pop rivet in the hinge holes before paint.

YEAH, but , ur just ............plum crazy !!!!!! nice car ! I pulled my hinges off (fiberglass hood) and made filler pieces to pop rivet in the hinge holes before paint.

Thanks! I have only finished paint in the bay, under the hood and the hinges. Motivation to get the rest of the body done. :)

View attachment 1715030445

View attachment 1715030446
I stand corrected, what is the center to center of one to the other. Oh, when did that happen. Because unless it changed between '66 & '70, all 3 years the hood could be
destined for should be the same. If, not You'd think there would be a footnote somewhere, I'll have to ask.......OP are they the orig. hinges?

I stand corrected, what is the center to center of one to the other. Oh, when did that happen. Because unless it changed between '66 & '70, all 3 years the hood could be
destined for should be the same. If, not You'd think there would be a footnote somewhere, I'll have to ask.......OP are they the orig. hinges?

Original hinges. I still haven't received any response from them. I emailed them Saturday morning and just now mailed them again. Hopefully I will get a response soon.

Not exactly sure on the year changes but I do know this. Any hood with the sliding block in it has the hinges that have the front round hole and the back oval.

Any hood (like the fiberglass one the OP has) with the fixed block had hinges where both holes were oval. If I remember correctly this change happened in 72+

Not exactly sure on the year changes but I do know this. Any hood with the sliding block in it has the hinges that have the front round hole and the back oval.

Any hood (like the fiberglass one the OP has) with the fixed block had hinges where both holes were oval. If I remember correctly this change happened in 72+
Precisely My point, the OP bought a hood for a '68 barracuda,........'sall I'm sayin'..........................and His original hinges do not have 2 ovals.................this was a mystery??
Nobody is retrofitting 2nd Gen 'cuda hoods to '73 Scamps that I'm aware of..............................

Precisely My point, the OP bought a hood for a '68 barracuda,........'sall I'm sayin'..........................and His original hinges do not have 2 ovals.................this was a mystery??
Nobody is retrofitting 2nd Gen 'cuda hoods to '73 Scamps that I'm aware of..............................

Lol. You're right. The biggest problem here is the fiberglass mfg. not taking into account that 68 cuda had a sliding block in the hood. All I was trying to point out is that there are in fact 2 style of hinges. :)

Well, I hope it gets sorted out. Other than the thin gelcoat on the bumpers, they look like damn nice pieces. Some of the 'glass stuff that's "shakey" is aimed at race only stuff,
not retro-restorations, but I haven't priced any lately to know cost vs quality these days.

So I got a response, kinda. Told him i had to pay my 2 guys about 2 1/2 hours each to fit the hood to the car. Measure and fit and cut and waller out my hinge holes to get it in the hole. Here is AAR's response to my complaint and pics:

"The cracks that you are seeing are mold cracks in the mold and will sand out when you prep the part for paint, they are not cracks in your bumper.

With the holes on your hinge being off a small bit we have seen that with some hoods with the hinge mount holes , as far as paying some one 5 1/2 hours to drill 4 holes ? that a little much.

If you are not satisfied with the bumpers feel free to return them

Thanks
Artie"

So I got a response, kinda. Told him i had to pay my 2 guys about 2 1/2 hours each to fit the hood to the car. Measure and fit and cut and waller out my hinge holes to get it in the hole. Here is AAR's response to my complaint and pics:

"The cracks that you are seeing are mold cracks in the mold and will sand out when you prep the part for paint, they are not cracks in your bumper.

With the holes on your hinge being off a small bit we have seen that with some hoods with the hinge mount holes , as far as paying some one 5 1/2 hours to drill 4 holes ? that a little much.

If you are not satisfied with the bumpers feel free to return them

Thanks
Artie"
Sure, I would say "that included deburring, masking around them, covering the car, scuffing, priming, & repainting them so they don't freakin' rust, then umasking everything",
"but thanks for Your concern, since no 2nd Gen 'cudas came w/that bolt spacing". Obviously not interested in making the correct insert for the older spacing. Guess the heads
up is put newer hinges on Your older ride if You're planning on using their stuff, or don't.

They have no interest in changing the spacing, that's the same conclusion i came to. But they make these hoods to order, or that's what they told me. So why couldn't they slip the correct nut plate in there for the application that the hood was ordered for?

Always figure on modding after market body parts... look at how much you have to 'adjust' the Taiwan tin most guys use. Normal procedure today.

Always figure on modding after market body parts... look at how much you have to 'adjust' the Taiwan tin most guys use. Normal procedure today.

I agree, but when you have to modify the car to fit the aftermarket body part, THAT'S a problem. That's just my opinion.

I agree, but when you have to modify the car to fit the aftermarket body part, THAT'S a problem. That's just my opinion.
I understand but I got over that thinking a long time ago especially on a daily driver. $100K show car? That's a different deal.

I did new car set-up for GM and Mopar dealers during the muscle car hay days... '67 to '72... you don't want to know what we did to 'fix' wind and water leaks in those days.

What I don't understand is how many guys will basically replace the entire outer sheetmetal of a solid car with import stuff when just a few repairs to Ma Mopar's original sheet metal will be faster/better/cheaper. And the car will be more valuable to many when it's done.

I didn't always feel that way but maybe, just maybe, the wisdom of old age is starting to kick in...

So I fired back a little. Maybe im outta line, idk. Just aggravated. Maybe a little passive aggressive.

Artie,

Yes, 2 guys at appx 2 1/2 hours = 5+ hours of labor. That's to measure, mask, drill, unfortunately grind and cut, deburr, reprime, unmask, etc. All to put in 4 bolts. So I agree with your statement of "that's a little much"

And for future reference, no 2nd gen barracuda's 67-69 came with that bolt spacing. Actually, I believe, no Mopar A body did before '72.

It's unfortunate, because you had a good reputation in the Mopar online community.

Thanks for your concern
Keith

Hmm.... this is interesting. I was going to buy a six-pack hood for my '72 Dart from them. After reading this thread, especially their dismissive attitude, not so much... there are other manufacturers.

Hmm.... this is interesting. I was going to buy a six-pack hood for my '72 Dart from them. After reading this thread, especially their dismissive attitude, not so much... there are other manufacturers.

If I had to do it again it would be Glasstek. I can't find a bad review on them.

-
Back