fiberglassing-HELP

-

spikekid999

MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!
Reaction score
ok i got a pair of audiobahn 6.5" speakers for the dart, and i gotta make a custom pair of kick panels to house em. my problem is is that ive never done fiberglass work before, so i need to know any tips n tricks to make it easier

Build a ring that the speaker will mount on then build a frame that is the shape of where you want to put it. Then cover the whole thing in fabric staple it tight then start to apply resin.

Google Video here are some ideas

You can do it. You'll do ok once you get the mix of the components figured out after you make a hot batch or two. I use to do surfboards in Huntington Beach, Calif in my younger days. Surfing and dirt bikes are probably the only things i miss here in Missouri. Oh the chicks too but if you go down to wal mart on a hot day there usally is plenty of eye candy. Good luck on your project.

Ive seen this done before,but exactly what kind of cloth is being used,and were do you get it?Also,it looks like the guy in the video is using mostly bondo on his stuff,wich is fine,i guess,but that stuff is heavy!Wouldnt fiberglass resin and cloth be better choice,maybe perfect the finish product with some putty,if needed?

not exactly what ill use yet or what is normally used. ill have to talk to my friends dad as he's good at glass'n

Guys are using bondo for final finish over the top of glass because it is less toxic when doing final sanding and easier to work with than glass. I have seen kick panels with or without speakers in one of my magazines, I'll see if I can find the ad and get you a web site.
Bruce

The first step is to use a sort of stretch cloth and then paint the resin over it. No fibergass cloth unless it is flat. After the resin dries then over lay it with the bondo for filling any inperfections in the layed cloth. Go man go. A bubby was working in my shop making him a console for his 46 chevy rod. After he had it roughed in he ask me what i thought. After about 5 minutes of standing there looking at it, then looked at him then back to the heap then back at him i told him. "It looks like ****". Ask him why he didn't ask for help. We burnt it in the pile. For preliminary forms use your imagination. For a rounded look on as a base i would maybe use a purex bottle laid on its side or even a ballon with the fabric stretched over these. After that resin dries you will have your form. For your kick panel form you could use a good kick panel lined with suran wrap. paint with resin then matt with fiberglss matt then paint again mashing out all air bubbles, then after drying peel it out of the good one. Bondo from there and you can cut your speaker hole in the one you made and modify it from there. Good luck. Go Man Go

well i know i gotta make a ring for the speaker to fit in and use dowls to make it at the angle and whatnot. since there is NO room behind the kick panels for a speaker.

would walmart have that "stretch cloth"? there are no craft stores around here so i have to resort to the craft section in walmart

Guys are using bondo for final finish over the top of glass because it is less toxic when doing final sanding and easier to work with than glass. I have seen kick panels with or without speakers in one of my magazines, I'll see if I can find the ad and get you a web site.
Bruce

i know they make em but IMO they look like ****,and house only an 80watt cheapo speaker. and there goin for $125 on ebay, **** that ill make my own custom ones

Use speaker grill cloth which can be found at any stereo shop or a store that sells faric and yes panty hose will also work. Just build the fram out of wood to whatever angle you want. Tape off or use foil on the area you don't want to glass. Use the bondo to fill in any areas that aren't smooth. It can also be covered in carpet to match the interior just use carpet for trunks and you can cover the whole speaker as this carpet "breathes" and sound can come through. If you want to make it stealth then sink the speaker lower by using a cover and metal mesh for a grill this is in my opinion the best way and is how I do it.

A glue gun will work as does super glue. If you have ever made a mold you could eliminate the plastic panel altogether as it looks better when done. If you want to see this up close go this web site-the12volt.com and search for fiberglass kich panels as this will show you as well as better explain what you are trying to acomplish. Personally I think it looks cleaner this way. Or you could build a mount into the metal portion of the kick and cover the plastic with grill cloth or the trunk carpet and be done with minimal effort and it looks good as well, it depends on how custom you want. If I can find my pictures of previous kick panels I built I will send them to you just PM me e mail and I will send out tomorrow.

ive never built a mold before so i would prefer to use the original plastic kick panels as i have a extra set to f**k up with glass

try to watch the language though kids come on this site to see what dad's doing,not being bossy,that's just the way it is.(you can go back and edit your post to clean it up for the younger people)thanks and post some pic's of you project for us.!

here they are,audiobahn 6.5s
Picture120.jpg

Picture121.jpg

-
Back