Finally Bought a Duster!

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
Just bought this 1973 Gold Duster, and it's perfect (to me at least). I was driving around one day back in the summer of 2015 when I noticed this car in someone's back yard. I stopped in, went up to the older gentleman standing in the front yard and asked, "Is it for sale?" He smiled and kindly replied, "Thank you but no."
My heart was a little broken since I've wanted another car this body style after selling my first car: a 1974 Dart Sport. Fast forward to this past Friday. We stop in and get to talking with the owner. We later found out his wife has owned the car since 1975 when her father bought it for her. It laid dormant since 2006, and thankfully for me they decided it was time for the Duster to turn a new leaf in life. A deal was struck, hands shook, and this gem of a Duster became mine. Saturday was the first official day of ownership, and I could not be happier. As soon as the car came home I started looking over everything in detail. It's a slant six auto with AC and power steering. The paint was redone about 20 or so years ago, so it's not that great, but it probably helped keep the car with as little as rust as it did. The seats have been previously reupholstered so they're still fairly nice. With a fresh battery I drove the Duster for a short trip. The carburetor has a dead spot in it, so it'll need a rebuild. One of the tires has a flat spot, but this car can cruise! I didn't go over 50 mph, but the transmission shifts great, everything is smooth and runs as it should. I've been sick ever since selling my Sport, and this Duster is the perfect replacement to remind me of it. Not sure what I'll be doing with it other than basic maintenance and some cosmetic enhancements, but I'm ready for the road ahead. Thanks for reading!

IMG_8044.JPG

IMG_8054.JPG

IMG_8073.JPG

IMG_8071.JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

I can see excitement in you just by the way you wrote your story lol...... I am totally diggin' it..... Have fun with it. Looks like a nice car.

JW

Nice! :thumbsup:

Looks pretty similar to my '74 duster when I picked it up, same hubcaps!

Just bought this 1973 Gold Duster, and it's perfect (to me at least). I was driving around one day back in the summer of 2015 when I noticed this car in someone's back yard. I stopped in, went up to the older gentleman standing in the front yard and asked, "Is it for sale?" He smiled and kindly replied, "Thank you but no."
My heart was a little broken since I've wanted another car this body style after selling my first car: a 1974 Dart Sport. Fast forward to this past Friday. We stop in and get to talking with the owner. We later found out his wife has owned the car since 1975 when her father bought it for her. It laid dormant since 2006, and thankfully for me they decided it was time for the Duster to turn a new leaf in life. A deal was struck, hands shook, and this gem of a Duster became mine. Saturday was the first official day of ownership, and I could not be happier. As soon as the car came home I started looking over everything in detail. It's a slant six auto with AC and power steering. The paint was redone about 20 or so years ago, so it's not that great, but it probably helped keep the car with as little as rust as it did. The seats have been previously reupholstered so they're still fairly nice. With a fresh battery I drove the Duster for a short trip. The carburetor has a dead spot in it, so it'll need a rebuild. One of the tires has a flat spot, but this car can cruise! I didn't go over 50 mph, but the transmission shifts great, everything is smooth and runs as it should. I've been sick ever since selling my Sport, and this Duster is the perfect replacement to remind me of it. Not sure what I'll be doing with it other than basic maintenance and some cosmetic enhancements, but I'm ready for the road ahead. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 1715013623

View attachment 1715013624

View attachment 1715013626

View attachment 1715013627

View attachment 1715013628
Congrats ! Enjoy !

Congrats and welcome to the club,I have a 73 Duster /6 with a 3 in the floor with p/s and a/c......................................Jeff

What a classic looking Duster!!! I absolutely love it. Congratulations...I hope you have many happy miles.

It's heartwarming to know that this beautiful /6 machine is going to someone who gets how special it is. I suspect that your appreciation for the car helped the original owner let it go.
I know that if the day ever comes that my Dart goes up for sale, I'd be willing to take a much lower price if it went to someone who would love it and take care of it.

Congratulations, great looking car. I say get it up to mechanical standards and then drive and enjoy as is.

-
Back